Current affairs The Story Of A Black Jew in America: Obama’s Rabbi

1 view

Syed Asadullah

Apr 6, 2009, 12:20:55 PM4/6/09
to 12i...@googlegroups.com, abot...@googlegroups.com, AbuSam...@googlegroups.com, aels...@googlegroups.com, afghanist...@googlegroups.com, agdmu...@googlegroups.com, AK...@googlegroups.com, al3w...@googlegroups.com, al7aref...@googlegroups.com, algeria...@googlegroups.com, alm...@googlegroups.com, alshre...@googlegroups.com, AMC_Pa...@googlegroups.com, arab-...@googlegroups.com, ashw...@googlegroups.com, bizka...@googlegroups.com, borha...@googlegroups.com, capriislamicfo...@googlegroups.com, ciha...@googlegroups.com, cinta...@googlegroups.com, cui...@googlegroups.com, daarut-...@googlegroups.com, doaa-...@googlegroups.com, e-happ...@googlegroups.com, emergenc...@googlegroups.com, fate...@mail.sy, focuso...@googlegroups.com, forsan...@googlegroups.com, forsa...@googlegroups.com, gaytu...@googlegroups.com, hasans...@googlegroups.com, hindustan...@googlegroups.com, Hot...@googlegroups.com, humanright...@googlegroups.com, ima...@googlegroups.com, IMAN_AO...@googlegroups.com, international-...@googlegroups.com, islam-z...@googlegroups.com, isla...@googlegroups.com, islam_and_moderanity...@googlegroups.com, islam...@googlegroups.com, islamand...@googlegroups.com, islamic...@googlegroups.com, islam...@googlegroups.com, Islami...@yahoogroups.com, Islamicpe...@groups.msn.com, Islamict...@googlegroups.com, islams...@googlegroups.com, islamve...@googlegroups.com, joinpa...@googlegroups.com, knanay...@googlegroups.com, Kuran-A...@googlegroups.com, kuran...@googlegroups.com, la...@googlegroups.com, manse...@googlegroups.com, masji...@googlegroups.com, mencint...@googlegroups.com, mohamedra...@googlegroups.com, moscow-budd...@googlegroups.com, paki...@googlegroups.com, Pakist...@googlegroups.com, Pakistan...@googlegroups.com, paks...@googlegroups.com, PAL-...@googlegroups.com, ps...@googlegroups.com, quraani...@googlegroups.com, RAJP...@googlegroups.com, read...@googlegroups.com, religio...@googlegroups.com, right...@googlegroups.com, room-...@googlegroups.com, rufi_...@googlegroups.com, sagar_...@hotmail.com, sah...@googlegroups.com, sh_m...@googlegroups.com, sinar...@googlegroups.com, SouthWa...@googlegroups.com, Sultanat-O...@googlegroups.com, sun...@googlegroups.com, swtis...@googlegroups.com, syedmda...@googlegroups.com, ta...@googlegroups.com, tare...@googlegroups.com, tevhid_in...@googlegroups.com, the-ultimate-...@googlegroups.com, thegloryofgo...@googlegroups.com, theislam...@googlegroups.com, theworl...@googlegroups.com, UK-Pak...@googlegroups.com, uk_I...@googlegroups.com, Urdu-Hai-J...@googlegroups.com, vuslatgu...@googlegroups.com, yam...@googlegroups.com, yemen-...@googlegroups.com, yoru...@googlegroups.com
Current affairs

The Story Of A Black Jew in America: Obama’s Rabbi

A black rabbi? Many American Jews regard the very concept as an oxymoron, or even, given the heterodoxies of much Black Jewish theology, some sort of heresy. Funnye has been trying for years to demonstrate that he and his fellow Black Jews belong in the Jewish mainstream. Mostly he has been ignored.

But it is hard to ignore a man with a cousin in the White House. Tonight was payback for all those years of stupid jokes (“Funnye, you don’t look Jewish”), insulting questions and long, wondering stares. Funnye was finally being given the stage at a high-profile Jewish event. “My Broadway debut,” he said, without evident irony, as he prepared to go on. “Been a long time getting here, but I’m ready.” -- ZEV CHAFETS

More...

Islam, Women and Feminism

Islamic feminists distinguish Islam from Muslims

Those who study the Qur'an know that Islam elevated the rights of women beyond anything known in the pre-Islamic world. In fact, in the seventh century Muslim women were granted rights not granted to European women until the 19th century, such as property ownership, inheritance and divorce. That said, Muslims who codified the Qur'an and Hadith (sayings of the Prophet Muhammad) into Islamic law did not succeed in expunging the patriarchy of the pre-Islamic world from their practices. This distinction between the faith and the various manifestations of its practice is a subtle but extremely important one. -- Amal Mohammed Al-Malki

More...

Islamic Ideology

Islamic Government” - An Oxymoron

Unlike the enforced, distorted Islam of tyrants and terrorists, faith chosen freely without coercion and without forced conformity is the genuine faith.  In a world where faith freely chosen fills the heart, the true religious spirit may come alive vibrantly to establish the ideal society where all people may partake of that precious freedom called choice.  Early Muslim history corroborates this fact. Muslims helped Jews to create their Golden Age and helped liberate Christians from the tyranny of the Roman church.  Muslim philosophy and science promoted the Enlightenment and Renaissance of Europe.  Muslims also developed experimental science.  In those days, we educated anyone who came our way without force-feeding our faith.  Now we have governments that have taken control of our body claiming to send our “meat and blood” to God while Muslims have to beg from non-Muslim societies for their daily bread to keep their body alive.  Islam will remain a dream and a theory with no practical value until faith rules the hearts and liberal democracy with an accountable free press rules human “blood and meat.” like the enforced, distorted Islam of tyrants and terrorists, faith chosen freely without compulsion. -- T.O. Shanavas, M. D., Vice President, Islamic Research Foundation International, Inc.

More.

--
Syed M. Asadullah