billing 88172

Charlie Tudor

Apr 27, 2009, 9:49:17 PM4/27/09
to CYTOPA...@googlegroups.com

I too have started looking into this. One of our pathologists found an article in a book. I will give you the reference tomorrow after I get to work.

Feher, Stephen

Apr 28, 2009, 9:03:13 AM4/28/09
to CYTOPA...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Charlie.

Steve

Charlie Tudor

Apr 28, 2009, 1:30:20 PM4/28/09
to CYTOPA...@googlegroups.com

immediate interpretation by pathologist 88172-26
Cytotech 88172-TC

Page 467

Cytology Diagnostic Principles and Clinical Correlates
Cibas Ducatman

Second edition

I have not read all the text yet.

Feher, Stephen

Apr 28, 2009, 1:37:05 PM4/28/09
to CYTOPA...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again Charlie. I wonder how many labs are not billing when the cytotech does the immediate read for fear of being audited and fined for overcharging. I know, for example, that ASC states that it is perfectly reasonable to bill for the cytotech doing the adequacy assessment. CAP and the AMA (which is the guidance most coders look to) say that 88172 is a pathologist only code and that it is not proper to bill for the cytotech providing that service.