Cython tutorial slides

Stefan Behnel

Oct 30, 2009, 5:08:23 AM10/30/09
to cython...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just uploaded the slides from a recent tutorial talk I gave about Cython.

http://behnel.de/cython200910/talk.html

Have fun,

Stefan

Dag Sverre Seljebotn

Oct 30, 2009, 9:37:40 AM10/30/09
to cython...@googlegroups.com
Stefan Behnel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just uploaded the slides from a recent tutorial talk I gave about
> Cython.
>
> http://behnel.de/cython200910/talk.html

Thanks, looks very nice. In particular I enjoyed the graphics of Cython
vs. Python and C/Fortran/...

Could you add a link together with the event where this talk was held on

wiki.cython.org/talks

?

Dag Sverre

Kurt Smith

Oct 30, 2009, 10:43:18 AM10/30/09
to cython...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 4:08 AM, Stefan Behnel <stef...@behnel.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just uploaded the slides from a recent tutorial talk I gave about Cython.
>
> http://behnel.de/cython200910/talk.html

Very nice -- thanks for posting.

I took the opportunity to try out the --embed feature, and ran your
example. There's a small typo; I post it here in case you want to fix
it for future versions:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "hw.py", line 6, in hw (hw.c:613)
hello_world()
File "hw.py", line 3, in hw.hello_world (hw.c:456)
print "Welcome to Python %d.%d!" % sys.version_info()[:2]
TypeError: 'tuple' object is not callable

Fixing it is trivial, of course.

Thanks again!

Kurt

Stefan Behnel

Oct 30, 2009, 11:02:47 AM10/30/09
to cython...@googlegroups.com

Kurt Smith, 30.10.2009 15:43:

> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 4:08 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just uploaded the slides from a recent tutorial talk I gave about Cython.
>>
>> http://behnel.de/cython200910/talk.html
>
> Very nice -- thanks for posting.
>
> I took the opportunity to try out the --embed feature, and ran your
> example. There's a small typo; I post it here in case you want to fix
> it for future versions:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "hw.py", line 6, in hw (hw.c:613)
> hello_world()
> File "hw.py", line 3, in hw.hello_world (hw.c:456)
> print "Welcome to Python %d.%d!" % sys.version_info()[:2]
> TypeError: 'tuple' object is not callable
>
> Fixing it is trivial, of course.

Ah, yes, I always mix up sys.exc_info() and sys.version_info...

Thanks!

Stefan

Stefan Behnel

Oct 30, 2009, 4:42:49 PM10/30/09
to Jason Grout, cython...@googlegroups.com

Jason Grout, 30.10.2009 19:21:
> William Stein wrote:
>> Sage devs might want to read this new talk:
>>
>> http://behnel.de/cython200910/talk.html
>
> Wow, in addition to the content, I'm very impressed with the
> presentation. What did you (he) use for generating his slides?

They are written in reStructedText and converted to the S5 presentation
tool using "rst2s5", which comes with docutils. The syntax highlighting
uses Pygments, which has Cython support since V1.1.

http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/slide-shows.html
http://pygments.org/

ReST and S5 provide a wonderful separation of content and presentation.
When you look at the slides, watch out for the control bar in the bottom
right corner, and also try pressing "t".

As an example, here's the ReST source of another presentation I gave:

http://codespeak.net/svn/lxml/trunk/doc/s5/lxml-ep2008.txt

I really like how clean and readable it is even as plain text source.

Stefan

Stefan Behnel

Oct 30, 2009, 5:02:59 PM10/30/09
to cython...@googlegroups.com

Dag Sverre Seljebotn, 30.10.2009 14:37:

> Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> I just uploaded the slides from a recent tutorial talk I gave about
>> Cython.
>>
>> http://behnel.de/cython200910/talk.html
>
> Thanks, looks very nice. In particular I enjoyed the graphics of Cython
> vs. Python and C/Fortran/...

Yep, I actually think the size of the orange bubble isn't even that
exaggerated. Cython really opens up a huge space to put the tradeoff
between speed and simplicity.

> Could you add a link together with the event where this talk was held on
>
> wiki.cython.org/talks
>
> ?

Done. I also added links to the workshops/conferences.

Stefan