0.13 (and post in -devel) -- __getsegcount__

Yaroslav Halchenko

Sep 27, 2010, 10:20:47 AM9/27/10
to cython...@googlegroups.com
Dear Cython developers,

I have decided to join Python Applications Packaging Team to help
maintaining Cython for Debian. While looking at 0.13 I have detected
that 3 dependent projects fail to build from source with cython 0.13 (or
current HG tip (3755:646494) although were fine with 0.12.

Since there is no changelog and, unfortunately, I am not yet very verse
in Cython, it is difficult for me to judge either following failure is a
feature or a bug (well, Doc/special_methods.html still lists this API as
valid):

Error converting Pyrex file to C:
if ptrptr != NULL:
buf = <void*>ecore_evas_buffer_pixels_get(self.obj);
ptrptr[0] = buf
return self._get_buf_size()

def __getsegcount__(self, int *lenp):
^

Error converting Pyrex file to C:
f = flags
else:
f = NULL
evas_object_image_save(self.obj, filename, k, f)

def __getsegcount__(self, int *p_len):

could you please advise?

Thanks in advance
--
.-.
=------------------------------ /v\ ----------------------------=

signature.asc

Lisandro Dalcin

Sep 27, 2010, 11:32:12 AM9/27/10
to cython...@googlegroups.com

Now Cython correctly uses Py_ssize_t for these "len" arguments. Code
generated by Cython 0.12 was broken on 64 bits arch. Unfortunately,
the docs are not updated to reflect this change. At list
http://docs.cython.org/src/userguide/special_methods.html#buffer-interface-no-python-equivalents-see-note-1
, you have to replace int -> Py_ssize_t

PS: I have a patch updating the docs, but for some reason I'm not able to push.

--
Lisandro Dalcin
---------------

Robert Bradshaw

Sep 27, 2010, 12:46:48 PM9/27/10
to cython...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Yaroslav Halchenko
<yarik...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Cython developers,
>
> I have decided to join Python Applications Packaging Team to help
> maintaining Cython for Debian.

Great, thanks!

> While looking at 0.13 I have detected
> that 3 dependent projects fail to build from source with cython 0.13 (or
> current HG tip (3755:646494) although were fine with 0.12.
>
> Since there is  no changelog

We try and list every backwards incompatible change in the release
notes http://wiki.cython.org/ReleaseNotes-0.13 , but this one seems to
have slipped through the cracks. (In general, we try to stay backwards
compatible, but this is a pre 1.0 project). A slightly lower level
view (though still woefully incomplete) can be found at
http://trac.cython.org/cython_trac/query?group=status&milestone=0.13 .
This should be the changelog you're wanting. Even lower than that,
there's the actual revision control, but that's probably too detailed.

On that note, hopefully this will provide a good testbed for release
candidates.

> and, unfortunately, I am not yet very verse
> in Cython, it is difficult for me to judge either following failure is a
> feature or a bug (well, Doc/special_methods.html still lists this API as
> valid):

Looks like Lisandro tracked this one down.

- Robert

Craig Citro

Sep 27, 2010, 12:55:14 PM9/27/10
to cython...@googlegroups.com
> PS: I have a patch updating the docs, but for some reason I'm not able to push.

William's been doing a bunch of work on the machines our hg repos are
hosted on -- I suspect that's why you couldn't push. I think the
machines are temporarily back up, but will be down again at some point
this week ...

-cc

Robert Bradshaw

Sep 27, 2010, 1:05:48 PM9/27/10
to cython...@googlegroups.com

Actually, for some reason Lisandro just weren't in the committers
list, which I've fixed. (Put you in there too :). It's all on a VM,
the same one that's hosting the main sagemath website, so less
affected by all the other work going on with those machines.

- Robert

Yaroslav Halchenko

Sep 28, 2010, 9:08:57 PM9/28/10
to cython-users
Thank you Robert,

apparently I was not subscribed to my own thread so missed your prompt
replies.

On Sep 27, 12:46 pm, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu>
wrote:
> We try and list every backwards incompatible change in the release
> noteshttp://wiki.cython.org/ReleaseNotes-0.13, but this one seems to

eh... not only that I must have not looked careful enough for the
ReleaseNotes, I have called them a 'changelog' following Debian
nomenclature ;) It might make sense to accompany "Download" (http://
cython.org/#download) paragraph with a link to the relevant Changelog
wiki page.

For the Debian package, I guess, it would be nice to complement your
source distribution with a dump from those wiki pages, unless you are
planing to accompany future source distribution with some version of
ReleaseNotes?

Yaroslav Halchenko

Sep 28, 2010, 9:20:53 PM9/28/10
to cython-users
Thank you Lisandro,

apparently e-core upstream was on the bleeding edge and already
addressed this issue
http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/changeset/52090

Robert Bradshaw

Sep 28, 2010, 11:19:44 PM9/28/10
to cython...@googlegroups.com

Until we have something more formal, pulling a dump of those wiki
pages would be a good idea. (Actually, our announcement is pretty much
the same content, formatted as plain text--the main reason to put it
on a wiki is for collaborative editing.) Good point about making them
easier to find, I'll try to think of the best place to put that.

- Robert