Ramble 'rrangements

1 view

Pondero

Dec 13, 2009, 8:11:40 AM12/13/09
to CycleBABBLE
As most of you know, the First Annual Fall Finale Forty-mile Country
Path Ramble is scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 19.

http://chris-pondero.blogspot.com/2009/11/first-annual-fall-forty-mile-country.html

http://chris-pondero.blogspot.com/2009/11/not-ugliest-part-of-texas.html

The purpose of this post is to try to firm-up some of the logistical
arrangements. On one hand this is not an organized, official, or
supported ride. As I've said before, there are no sags, no entry
fees, and no t-shirts. So why the attention to arrangements?

Well, while this is a fun route over mostly unpaved roads and very
little traffic, it is a ONE WAY ROUTE. That means that I plan to
leave my little house on the prairie at approx. 8 am and ride to
Muenster, Texas. Then I plan to have lunch at a local restaurant,
load up my bike in my previously dropped-off pick-up truck and drive
home (or have my beautiful bride come and pick me up).

If others plan to join me on this mini-epic, getting folks home will
require a little figuring. I suggest we try to get some
"commitments" (weather permitting) from those planning to
participate. Then maybe we can get some volunteers to help bring
bikes and bodies back.

Based on my recollection of those expressing interest, it might be
that only one or two return trip vehicles will be needed.

It's a little less than 2 hours from my place to Muenster and back by
motor vehicle.

Chandra

Dec 13, 2009, 11:32:22 PM12/13/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
hey chris
thanks for your note.

i am looking forward to this ride.

i am likely to ride with myles, who said he could give me a ride.

god willing, i should be able to make it.

peace :)
--
Peace :)
-Chandra...

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
-- Mark Twain

Christopher Johnson

Dec 14, 2009, 7:30:52 AM12/14/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Chandra.

I think others have expressed interest, but the official list (as of Monday morning) is...

Chandra
Myles
Chris

Others?

Chandra

Dec 14, 2009, 11:22:14 AM12/14/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
hopefully, more will join us :)

Michael R. Johnson

Dec 14, 2009, 11:27:05 AM12/14/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to say, the ride sounds fantastic, and if I were in the
vicinity, I'd be there. Good job putting this together. I hope everyone
has a good time. I rode a bunch of paved and gravel roads over the
weekend, and was thinking of your group ride. I enjoy the solitude of my
solo rides, but your group is going to be a lot of fun!

Pondero

Dec 15, 2009, 9:33:36 AM12/15/09
to CycleBABBLE
As of Tuesday morning, the official list is...

Chandra
Myles
Keith (a friend of mine from Sulphur Springs)
Chris

The long range weather forecast is starting temp in the mid 30s,
sunny, and high temp in the low 50s.

If everyone will bring a piece of cardboard, old blanket, or other
padding for their own bike, we might be able to stuff all four bikes
in the back of my truck.

Myles/rattrappress

Dec 16, 2009, 8:44:53 PM12/16/09
to CycleBABBLE
Chris, I'll be driving Chandra and Steve to the starting point. So
that's five of us doing the ride. How many can you fit in your pickup?

Chandra

Dec 16, 2009, 8:45:58 PM12/16/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
how many bikes and how many people? my bike might be able to run behind the chris' truck but not i :)

m T

Dec 16, 2009, 8:51:09 PM12/16/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
Chandra, I'll be picking up Steve from the train station in Ft. Worth. Do you think that you could catch the same train?

Christopher Johnson

Dec 16, 2009, 8:57:30 PM12/16/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
I'm guessing four bikes in the bed of the truck.  I'm also thinking of asking my wife to drive it to pick us up.  I think, besides her, we could squeeze four guys (one in the front passenger seat and three on the extended cab bench).  I won't be ideal.

With five riders, we are probably moving into the realm of two vehicles...

Suggestions?

Chandra

Dec 16, 2009, 9:01:55 PM12/16/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
hey myles,
what time are you picking up steve from the train station?
i have to check the schedule and plan accordingly.
please let me know.

m T

Dec 16, 2009, 9:06:35 PM12/16/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
We'll have to check with Steve. I haven't looked at the train schedule. The ride starts at 8AM, and I think it's about an hours drive to Chris' house, so as long as we're on the road by about 6:45 we'll be okay.

Chandra

Dec 16, 2009, 9:12:25 PM12/16/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
if i have to be at the fw station by 6:45, i will have to leave irving by 6 or so.
i am NOT sure if there is a train at that hour on saturdays.
http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/newsateb.html

Myles/rattrappress

Dec 16, 2009, 9:14:20 PM12/16/09
to CycleBABBLE
I can't speak for Chandra and Steve, but I wouldn't have a problem
with heading back at the halfway point. I'm just happy to have the
opportunity to do some riding out in the country and visit with
friends.

On Dec 16, 7:57 pm, Christopher Johnson <cj.spin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing four bikes in the bed of the truck.  I'm also thinking of
> asking my wife to drive it to pick us up.  I think, besides her, we could
> squeeze four guys (one in the front passenger seat and three on the extended
> cab bench).  I won't be ideal.
>
> With five riders, we are probably moving into the realm of two vehicles...
>
> Suggestions?
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Myles/rattrappress

Christopher Johnson

Dec 16, 2009, 9:32:26 PM12/16/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
The "out and back" approach is not a bad idea.  This route would probably be interesting enough to work.  That approach would be slightly longer, because the Rosston General Store is slightly more that 20 miles out...and that is a destination we can't omit.

I'll do some more thinking about this...

(scratching head trying to generate creative thoughts)

Chandra

Dec 16, 2009, 9:34:51 PM12/16/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
chris,
what would be a good route to come to your place from irving? i am just north of IH 635 on N. MacArthur blvd.
thanks.

Christopher Johnson

Dec 16, 2009, 9:38:33 PM12/16/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
Get to 35E and head north, then turn left at Sanger.

Steve A

Dec 16, 2009, 10:36:13 PM12/16/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
The earliest train arrives at T&P at 7:49. Worse, it starts from Centreport which is further west than optimum for Chandra.
            -Steve A

Chandra

Dec 16, 2009, 10:38:51 PM12/16/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
at this point, i may not make it unless i drive (or get a ride) from my home. train is clearly out of question :(

Steve A

Dec 16, 2009, 10:41:56 PM12/16/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
The first train convenient for Chandra would arrive at T&P at 9:45. Saturdays have limited train choices.

            -Steve A

m T

Dec 16, 2009, 11:04:58 PM12/16/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
Where do you live Steve? I'll pick both of you guys up.

Myles/rattrappress

Dec 17, 2009, 8:24:35 PM12/17/09
to CycleBABBLE
Hey Chandra, send me an email with your address so I can punch it in
my GPS.

Christopher Johnson

Dec 18, 2009, 6:11:10 AM12/18/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
As of Friday morning, the official list is...

Chandra
Myles
Steve
Keith
Chris

We one more in the "seriously considering" category.

We have exceeded the capacity of my truck for a return trip.  Keith and I have discussed the possibility of taking one of our vehicles up to Muenster in the morning before the ride.  Neither of us has fully latched on to the idea of leaving my house at 5:30 to do that yet.  If the group (a) opposes the idea of backtracking, or (b) really wants to have lunch in Muenster, we might be able to man-up and make it happen.

As Myles suggested earlier in this thread, an out-and-back to the midway point (Rosston General Store) is a viable idea.  I'd say that the prettiest half of the route is the first half.  Once we return, we could make the short drive into Sanger for lunch.  For those of you driving up here, it would be on your back home.

As I consider route options, is there anyone who was especially fond of rolling into Muenster?

Current weather forecast...

Sunny, wind NNW 10-12 mph
Temp at 8, 36
Temp at noon, 49

One way to think about it is...backtracking gives us a tailwind (instead of a headwind) for the last 20+ miles.

Jim Booker

Dec 18, 2009, 7:45:00 AM12/18/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
I think I may be in.  My Oklahoma trip has been cancelled.  I would vote for the out and back.  Somewhere in this, I've misplaced directions to your house Christopher.  Could you send me those?  We leave your house at 8, correct?  Thanks,

Jim

Christopher Johnson

Dec 18, 2009, 8:29:06 AM12/18/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
We'd be happy to have you, Jim.

I have not provded my address or directions yet. Please email me at

cj.sp...@gmail.com

for details.

Jim Booker

Dec 18, 2009, 5:18:03 PM12/18/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
Well, I was afraid this would happen.  Now, my trip to Oklahoma is back on, so I regret that I will miss this fun ride.  You guys enjoy!

Jim

Christopher Johnson

Dec 18, 2009, 8:17:55 PM12/18/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com