selling machines with libdvdcss (was: gOS: Where Computers Are Headed?)

Robert Citek

Nov 24, 2007, 12:27:41 PM11/24/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
What if ByteWorks bundled with the computer sale a DVD that requires
libdvdcss to play?

Can anyone create a DVD that requires libdvdcss to play? If so, then
we should create our own. If not, then the ideal DVD would be cheap
and have a G-rating.

Regards,
- Robert

On Nov 16, 2007 1:10 PM, tms <t...@cablemo.net> wrote:
> Here is what Canonical says about it:
>
> "In the United States, whether one can use libdvdcss to decrypt DVDs is
> governed by Title I of the [WWW]Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
> ([WWW]17 U.S.C. Sec. 1201 et seq.) Although the law is technical, it
> need not frighten anyone. Decrypting DVDs is legal if the decryption is
> done to achieve interoperability of computer programs, such as the
> Linux/Ubuntu operating system. (See [WWW]17 U.S.C. Sec. 1201(f)) So, for
> instance, if you own a legally-purchased DVD and are trying to play it
> on your own computer with Ubuntu, using libdvdcss is legal because you
> are merely exercising the license that you acquired when you obtained
> the DVD. However, if you use libdvdcss for the purpose of circumventing
> copyright protection, such as for file sharing or redistributing the
> content, libdvdcss would be classed as an illegal 'circumvention
> device'. (For a more detailed description of the DMCA, see the
> [WWW]Wikipedia article). Because Canonical cannot know in advance what
> you intend to do with libdvdcss, it has decided not to include it in the
> regular Ubuntu repositories."
>
> that came from this URL:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeFormats
>
> So ... IF (and it's a big IF) Canonical is right, then possibly
> ByteWORKS could protect itself by including some kind of clause in the
> sales contract, to the effect that purchaser agrees to use libdvdcss
> only for legal purposes. Would that be enough? Probably, but what
> level of certainty is required here?

Nestor Wheelock

Nov 24, 2007, 5:07:14 PM11/24/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
How about a DVD screen cast of how to install libdvdcss burnt to a DVD that requires libdvdcss to play.

Robert Citek

Nov 24, 2007, 7:34:33 PM11/24/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 24, 2007 4:07 PM, Nestor Wheelock <nes...@idotmind.com> wrote:
> How about a DVD screen cast of how to install libdvdcss burnt to a DVD that requires libdvdcss to play.

What would we need to make that happen?

I've got DVDs and a DVD burner. What else would we need?

Regards,
- Robert

Nestor Wheelock

Nov 25, 2007, 7:45:05 PM11/25/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
At the office we have a digital movie camera that will take both an S video and an RCA video out and we have video editing software. When do you want to come over and work on it? We could do a few screen cast howtos. Think about it. I'm free end of this week.

Nestor

Robert Citek

Nov 25, 2007, 8:18:42 PM11/25/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
Great. So we can create a video. How do we create a DVD that
requires libdvdcss to play?

Remember the goal isn't really to create a DVD, but rather to create a
legitimate need for libdvdcss to be installed on the machine.

Regards,
- Robert

-----

Nestor Wheelock

Nov 26, 2007, 12:05:50 AM11/26/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
It looks like one may be able to buy specially CSS pre-encrypted blank DVDR's per this announcement found in this document. From what I could understand it announces a change in their licensing model as of September 20, 2007 due to a low demand for the traditional $15k license.

"Retailers and Consumers to be Able to Create Protected DVD's that Work with Existing DVD Players...

With this new application of the Content Scramble System (CSS), the copy protection used on most commercially produced DVDs, vendors could, for example, create protected DVDs in custom runs at new on-demand factories or on store-based-kiosks. Individual consumers will also be able to legally record a variety of content at home, including select movies, as offered by the content owners. In addition, consumers could obtain unusual, historical, or special content that is now unavailable on DVD because existing demand does not economically allow the mass reproduction today's market requires. The process will use special blank DVD discs with CSS encryption."

http://www.dvdcca.org/DVDCCA%20Press%20Release%20070920.pdf

http://dvdcca.org

Does that mean we can hunt down these discs? I wonder how much they might be. Blank DVD discs with CSS encryption...that's so weird.

-Nestor

http://idotmind.com * pink think

Nov 26, 2007, 10:34:58 PM11/26/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 21:22 -0600, Robert Citek wrote:

> The other option is to purchase a bunch of commercial DVDs, such as "150
> Cartoon Classics":
>
> http://www.amazon.com/150-Cartoon-Classics-Betty-Boop/dp/B000EMHWUA/
>
> or "Shrek 3-D":
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Shrek-3-D/dp/B000RSQ8FG/
>
> and include it in the price of the machine.

WallyWorld has bunches of movies in the $5 range ......

t.
--
*** Propositions arrived at purely by logical
means are completely empty as regards

Scott Granneman

Nov 27, 2007, 11:12:35 AM11/27/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
why not buy $1 dvds of public domain movies? i'm sure you can find
those somewhere.

scott
--
R. Scott Granneman
sc...@granneman.com ~ www.granneman.com

"I read about an Eskimo hunter who asked the local missionary priest,
'If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?' 'No,' said
the priest, 'not if you did not know.' 'Then why,' asked the Eskimo
earnestly, 'did you tell me?'"
---Annie Dillard

Robert Citek

Nov 27, 2007, 11:23:13 AM11/27/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 27, 2007 10:12 AM, Scott Granneman <sc...@granneman.com> wrote:
> why not buy $1 dvds of public domain movies? i'm sure you can find
> those somewhere.

Are they encrypted so that they require libdvdcss? - Robert

Scott Granneman

Nov 27, 2007, 11:59:35 AM11/27/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
you could find out easily enough by reading the box (physical) or
description (virtual).

scott
--
R. Scott Granneman
sc...@granneman.com ~ www.granneman.com
Full list of publications @ http://www.granneman.com/publications
My new book: Linux Phrasebook @ http://www.granneman.com/books

"If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't been
much of a day."
---John A. Wheeler

Robert Citek

Nov 29, 2007, 5:18:27 PM11/29/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 27, 2007 10:59 AM, Scott Granneman <sc...@granneman.com> wrote:
> you could find out easily enough by reading the box (physical) or
> description (virtual).

What am I looking for on the box?

I got a DVD at a dollar store, "The Inspector General" staring Danny Kaye:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041509/

The only thing on the box is a copyright notice. Nothing says DVD
CSS. I'll see if it plays under gOS later tonight.

Regards,
- Robert

Scott Granneman

Nov 29, 2007, 5:33:24 PM11/29/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
a macrovision logo?

are there any other logos/notices on the box?

scott
--
R. Scott Granneman
sc...@granneman.com ~ www.granneman.com
Full list of publications @ http://www.granneman.com/publications
My new book: Linux Phrasebook @ http://www.granneman.com/books

"I can't understand it. I can't even understand the people who can
understand it."
---Queen Juliana

Robert Citek

Nov 29, 2007, 5:36:58 PM11/29/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 29, 2007 4:33 PM, Scott Granneman <sc...@granneman.com> wrote:
> a macrovision logo?
>
> are there any other logos/notices on the box?

Just a DVD video logo like this one:

http://www.usmilitaryvideos.com/images/InitialSet/DVD_logo_90559o%5B1%5D.jpg

Regards,
- Robert

David Dooling

Nov 29, 2007, 10:49:31 PM11/29/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com

Is there a region code on the disc (probably region 1)? If there is,
I think it is a safe bet it uses CSS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

--
David Dooling

Robert Citek

Nov 30, 2007, 12:34:38 AM11/30/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
On 11/29/2007 09:49 PM, David Dooling wrote:
> Is there a region code on the disc (probably region 1)? If there is,
> I think it is a safe bet it uses CSS.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

Looked on the box the DVD came in and on the DVD itself and didn't see
anything like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DVD_Region_Codes2.PNG

Is there a test we could do with the DVD to determine whether it is
encoded? For example, would this be a sufficient test:

1 - install standard Ubuntu
2 - try to play DVD. If it plays, it's not encrypted.
3 - install libdvdcss [1]
4 - try to play same DVD. If it plays, it is encrypted.
5 - uninstall libdvdcss
6 - try to play same DVD. If it does not play, it's encrypted.

Is there a more simple test?

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Regards,
- Robert

Scott Granneman

Nov 30, 2007, 1:55:15 AM11/30/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
that makes sense to me, robert.

crap ... you'd think there was something simple and obvious that we're
not seeing ...

scott

Robert Citek

Dec 1, 2007, 10:37:58 PM12/1/07
to cwe...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 29, 2007 11:34 PM, Robert Citek <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a test we could do with the DVD to determine whether it is
> encoded? For example, would this be a sufficient test:
>
> 1 - install standard Ubuntu
> 2 - try to play DVD. If it plays, it's not encrypted.
> 3 - install libdvdcss [1]
> 4 - try to play same DVD. If it plays, it is encrypted.
> 5 - uninstall libdvdcss
> 6 - try to play same DVD. If it does not play, it's encrypted.

Took the DVD movie "The Matrix", and it did not play at steps 2 and 6,
but did play at step 4. So, I'm assuming it's encrypted. Took the
DVD movie I got from the dollar store, and it played at steps, 2, 4,
and 6. So, I'm assuming it's unencrypted. Bummer. Sure would be
nice to know if a DVD movie is encrypted before it's bought.

Regards,
- Robert