DroidEx, continuing saga

Team PhoneTell

Aug 24, 2010, 1:17:47 PM8/24/10
to cw-android
Mark,
Awesome tool, clearly needed. Yours is apparently the only game in
town for this task.

I'm running current SDK r06 (on a mac), trying to capture video on
Android 2.2 systems (Droid, Evo). Similar problems to those earlier in
related threads.

I'm running ddms, select the device, capture screen. I can see that
the display is refreshing as I do things on the device. However I
can't stop and save the video file.

I got the problem down to this error:

> ./adb start-server
> java -cp DroidEx.jar:./lib/ddmlib.jar com.commonsware.droidex.DroidEx
53:43 E/adb: Cannot stop adb when AndroidDebugBridge is created
without the location of adb.

Hints, clues, suggestions please?

jc

Mark Murphy

Aug 24, 2010, 5:21:43 PM8/24/10
to cw-an...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Team PhoneTell <phon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Awesome tool, clearly needed. Yours is apparently the only game in
> town for this task.

Actually, Droid@Screen is an improvement on my original:

http://blog.ribomation.com/2010/01/21/droidscreen/

The advent of Droid@Screen is one of the reasons I set DroidEx aside,
as I have not done much with that code in a year-plus.

But thanks for the sentiment!

> I'm running current SDK r06 (on a mac), trying to capture video on
> Android 2.2 systems (Droid, Evo). Similar problems to those earlier in
> related threads.
>
> I'm running ddms, select the device, capture screen. I can see that
> the display is refreshing as I do things on the device. However I
> can't stop and save the video file.
>
> I got the problem down to this error:
>
>> ./adb start-server
>> java -cp DroidEx.jar:./lib/ddmlib.jar com.commonsware.droidex.DroidEx
> 53:43 E/adb: Cannot stop adb when AndroidDebugBridge is created
> without the location of adb.

Make sure your Android SDK tools/ directory is in your PATH. In other
words, you need to be able to run:

adb start-server

not:

./adb start-server

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 3.1 Available!