problems debugging using Cusp

1 view

Gregg Williams

May 1, 2008, 7:18:09 PM5/1/08
to Cusp Development
Hi-- I'm new to Common LISP after a hiatus of over 10 years (!), and I
was very glad to find an alternative to Emacs and Common LISP.
However, now I need to debug some code, and I'm not sure that Cusp is
for me. Despite an entire day looking for documentation/tutorials/
etc., I can't seem to find how to accomplish setting breakpoints or
stepping through source code. I can insert break statements in my
code, but I can't find any way to look at the state of the system
(e.g., inspect variable values)--all I can do is continue the
execution until the code gets another break statement.

Also, I could use a pointer to something that tells me how to read
error messages when Common LISP prints one out.

This frustrated newbie would appreciate any help that might be
offered. Thanks.

--Gregg

Timothy Jasko

May 1, 2008, 11:59:03 PM5/1/08
to cusp-dev...@googlegroups.com
This is indeed a rather serious omission from the debugger. If you're
brave enough to run Cusp from svn, I've just added in support for
stepping. It looks like the debugger could use a little more love in
terms of getting synced back up with swank changes, so I expect I'll
be making a few more commits there in the near future.

I don't know about a good guide to error messages. What kind of
messages are you getting that you're finding confusing?