Problems installing cucumber from gemcutter and github repositories

torbjornvatn

Sep 15, 2009, 6:57:55 AM9/15/09
to Cukes
My cuke4duke project won't build any more when run with the -
Dcucumber.installGems=true option.

I found that the reason is an "ERROR: could not find gem cucumber
locally or in a repository" error that occurs during the gem install.

If I run gem install on the command line it works if I remove the --
source arguments all together or when I use the --source http://gems.rubyforge.org.
Both gemcutter and github source repos fail when use alone, but
strangely the github one works in combination with rubyforge.

Anyone got any ideas about what's causing this?

/torbjørn

darrinholst

Sep 15, 2009, 2:22:26 PM9/15/09
to Cukes
I was having that problem earlier today, are you still getting that
error? I'm not anymore, but I'm on a different internet connection
now. I suppose if rubyforge was have some problems you would see that,
but 0.3.100 is out on gemcutter too, so both of them would have to be
down (assuming you're using 0.3.100).

Darrin

On Sep 15, 5:57 am, torbjornvatn <torbj...@vatn.org> wrote:
> My cuke4duke project won't build any more when run with the -
> Dcucumber.installGems=true option.
>
> I found that the reason is an "ERROR:  could not find gem cucumber
> locally or in a repository" error that occurs during the gem install.
>
> If I run gem install on the command line it works if I remove the --
> source arguments all together or when I use the --sourcehttp://gems.rubyforge.org.

aslak hellesoy

Sep 15, 2009, 3:03:20 PM9/15/09
to cu...@googlegroups.com, gemc...@googlegroups.com, rubygems-...@rubyforge.org
On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 8:22 PM, darrinholst <darrin...@gmail.com> wrote:

I was having that problem earlier today, are you still getting that
error? I'm not anymore, but I'm on a different internet connection
now. I suppose if rubyforge was have some problems you would see that,
but 0.3.100 is out on gemcutter too, so both of them would have to be
down (assuming you're using 0.3.100).

This seems to be a combination of unreliable gem servers and a bug in rubygems (at least with rubygems 1.3.3, which is bundled with jruby 1.3.1):

jruby -S gem install --source http://gems.rubyforge.org celerity -v0.0.7 -V
GET 304 Not Modified: http://gems.rubyforge.org/specs.4.8.gz
Installing gem celerity-0.0.7
/usr/local/jruby-1.3.1/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/celerity-0.0.7/History.txt
/usr/local/jruby-1.3.1/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/celerity-0.0.7/License.txt
(snip)
Successfully installed celerity-0.0.7
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for celerity-0.0.7...
Installing RDoc documentation for celerity-0.0.7...
Could not find main page README.rdoc
Could not find main page README.rdoc
Could not find main page README.rdoc
Could not find main page README.rdoc

OK!

jruby -S gem install --source http://gems.rubyforge.org --source http://gemcutter.org celerity -v0.0.7 -V
GET 304 Not Modified: http://gems.rubyforge.org/specs.4.8.gz
GET 200 OK: http://gemcutter.org/specs.4.8.gz
connection reset after 2 requests, retrying
GET 500 Internal Server Error: http://gemcutter.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/celerity-0.0.7.gemspec.rz
Error fetching remote data:        bad response Internal Server Error 500 (http://gemcutter.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/celerity-0.0.7.gemspec.rz)
Falling back to local-only install
ERROR:  could not find gem celerity locally or in a repository

FAIL!

IMO, this is a bug in rubygems because it bails on the first 500 from one of the servers, not even trying the other one. It doesn't help that it attempts the last server first. There is also something wrong with gemcutter - it reports that the celerity gem is there: http://gemcutter.org/gems/celerity. Still, download fails. While I'm at it - it might be wise to add some 304 to gemcutter for improved performance...

I will resurrect the cuke4duke maven plugin <gem> syntax that lets you specify *where* to get the gem from as a workaround for this until rubygems and gemcutter are fixed...

Apologies to ittyad, whose ticket (http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cuke4duke/issues/closed#issue/22) I dismissed as user error.

Aslak

aslak hellesoy

Sep 15, 2009, 3:21:10 PM9/15/09
to gemc...@googlegroups.com, cu...@googlegroups.com, rubygems-...@rubyforge.org

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Nick Quaranto <ni...@quaran.to> wrote:
There's been some issues with gem pushes the past day or two, and I think I may have blown away a few good gem pushes when I cleared the jobs out. Basically there wasn't enough memory to allocate to some of the jobs (I store the entire gem in the database temporarily, probably not a good idea for the long term, working on that...).

I just repushed cucumber 0.3.98, 0.3.99, and celerity 0.0.7 so we should be set now. I can fetch both just fine.

From rubygems' perspective though, I wish it didn't query *all* of the .gemspec.rz's though :/

Thanks for dealing with this so quickly Nick!

I'll still add the workaround, since rubygems will bail if *one* server (even if it is the last one in the --source list) doesn't have a gem.
Is this a known issue, rubygems folks? Should I file a bug?

Aslak

-Nick

Thomas Lundström

Sep 19, 2009, 7:17:53 AM9/19/09
to Cukes
Hi,

Could you explain the workaround? I'm getting the
"[WARNING] ERROR: could not find gem cucumber --version 0.3.101
locally or in a repository"

when trying to run "mvn -Dcucumber.installGems=true
cuke4duke:features"
(cuke4duke version 0.1.3)

Best regards,
Thomas Lundström

On Sep 15, 9:21 pm, aslak hellesoy <aslak.helle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Nick Quaranto <n...@quaran.to> wrote:
> > There's been some issues with gem pushes the past day or two, and I think I
> > may have blown away a few good gem pushes when I cleared the jobs out.
> > Basically there wasn't enough memory to allocate to some of the jobs (I
> > store the entire gem in the database temporarily, probably not a good idea
> > for the long term, working on that...).
>
> > I just repushed cucumber 0.3.98, 0.3.99, and celerity 0.0.7 so we should be
> > set now. I can fetch both just fine.
>
> > From rubygems' perspective though, I wish it didn't query *all* of the
> > .gemspec.rz's though :/
>
> Thanks for dealing with this so quickly Nick!
>
> I'll still add the workaround, since rubygems will bail if *one* server
> (even if it is the last one in the --source list) doesn't have a gem.
> Is this a known issue, rubygems folks? Should I file a bug?
>
> Aslak
>
> > -Nick

> >> This seems to be a combination of unreliable gem servers and a bug in
> >> rubygems (at least with rubygems 1.3.3, which is bundled with jruby 1.3.1):
>
> >> jruby -S gem install --sourcehttp://gems.rubyforge.orgcelerity -v0.0.7
> >> -V
> >> GET 304 Not Modified:http://gems.rubyforge.org/specs.4.8.gz
> >> Installing gem celerity-0.0.7
> >> /usr/local/jruby-1.3.1/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/celerity-0.0.7/History.txt
> >> /usr/local/jruby-1.3.1/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/celerity-0.0.7/License.txt
> >> (snip)
> >> Successfully installed celerity-0.0.7
> >> 1 gem installed
> >> Installing ri documentation for celerity-0.0.7...
> >> Installing RDoc documentation for celerity-0.0.7...
> >> Could not find main page README.rdoc
> >> Could not find main page README.rdoc
> >> Could not find main page README.rdoc
> >> Could not find main page README.rdoc
>
> >> OK!
>
> >> jruby -S gem install --sourcehttp://gems.rubyforge.org--source
> >>http://gemcutter.orgcelerity -v0.0.7 -V

aslak hellesoy

Sep 19, 2009, 12:10:51 PM9/19/09
to cu...@googlegroups.com

2009/9/19 Thomas Lundström <thomas.l...@gmail.com>

Hi,

Could you explain the workaround?

I think the commit message and diff explains it. You now have the opportunity to override the gem source. By default it's rubygems's default source, but for gems not hosted at github you can override it.

The fix is in my cuke4duke master branch. It's not yet released, so you have to wait for a release or build it yourself. See the cuke4duke Contributing wiki page, which explains how to build it yourself.

I'm getting the
"[WARNING] ERROR:  could not find gem cucumber --version 0.3.101
locally or in a repository"

Insufficient context information. What does your POM look like? Are you building one of the examples? Or is this from your own project? Please see the pom.xml files in examples/simple/pom.xml and make sure you have cuke4duke built from my master branch.

Aslak

Thomas Lundström

Sep 22, 2009, 3:27:53 PM9/22/09
to cu...@googlegroups.com
>> I'm getting the
>> "[WARNING] ERROR: could not find gem cucumber --version 0.3.101
>> locally or in a repository"
>>

> Insufficient context information. What does your POM look like? Are you
> building one of the examples? Or is this from your own project? Please see
> the pom.xml files in examples/simple/pom.xml and make sure you have
> cuke4duke built from my master branch.

I was using the pom both from my own project and the spring example.
Both failing in the same way. I'll try to update cuke4duke to the
lastest in the repo and see if things still don't work.

Best regards,
Thomas Lundström

Thomas Lundström

Sep 22, 2009, 3:41:36 PM9/22/09
to Cukes
Hi,

> I was using the pom both from my own project and the spring example.
> Both failing in the same way. I'll try to update cuke4duke to the
> lastest in the repo and see if things still don't work.
>
> Best regards,
> Thomas Lundström

Yup, it worked after doing a git pull, installing the latest into my
local mvn repository and doing a
mvn -Dcucumber.installGems=true cuke4duke:cucumber
(In the wiki it said cuke4duke:features, for anyone trying out the
latest.)

Br,
Thomas

On Sep 22, 9:27 pm, Thomas Lundström <thomas.lundst...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> I'm getting the
> >> "[WARNING] ERROR:  could not find gem cucumber --version 0.3.101
> >> locally or in a repository"
>
> > Insufficient context information. What does your POM look like? Are you
> > building one of the examples? Or is this from your own project? Please see
> > the pom.xml files in examples/simple/pom.xml and make sure you have
> > cuke4duke built from my master branch.
>
> I was using the pom both from my own project and the spring example.
> Both failing in the same way. I'll try to update cuke4duke to the
> lastest in the repo and see if things still don't work.
>
> Best regards,
> Thomas Lundström
>
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM, aslak hellesoy

aslak hellesoy

Sep 22, 2009, 4:07:44 PM9/22/09
to cu...@googlegroups.com

2009/9/22 Thomas Lundström <thomas.l...@gmail.com>

Hi,

> I was using the pom both from my own project and the spring example.
> Both failing in the same way. I'll try to update cuke4duke to the
> lastest in the repo and see if things still don't work.
>
> Best regards,
> Thomas Lundström

Yup, it worked after doing a git pull, installing the latest into my
local mvn repository and doing a
mvn -Dcucumber.installGems=true cuke4duke:cucumber
(In the wiki it said cuke4duke:features, for anyone trying out the
latest.)

Good! We're usually pretty good at dealing with issues quickly, so it's always a good idea to try the bleeding edge code before reporting an issue.

Cheers,
Aslak

Eric Pabst

Jan 6, 2010, 12:32:02 PM1/6/10
to cu...@googlegroups.com
Will the workaround solve a problem we where we want to use our own
internal gem server for security compliance?  We install the gems
manually to our own gem server, and then we want to use that gem
server for our automated builds with the -Dcucumber.installGems=true
option.  We're currently running gem install directly but we'd rather
use the option.