Meeting - Wed March 16th - 6pm - LizardTech

1 view

Aaron Racicot

Mar 15, 2011, 2:48:46 AM3/15/11
to CUGOS
Yo CUGOSians,

The March 2011 meeting will be this Wednesday (March 16th)... normal place
(LizardTech), normal time (6pm) [1].

On tap this meeting will be a 15-20 minute talk on:

"The tsunami forecasting system used by the US National Warning Centers.
The automated GIS system relies on deep-sea buoy and coastal tide gauge
data received via satellite and seismological data from around the globe.
It is designed using Java/Jini with Postgres/PostGIS and it was utilized
last week in the Honshu event."

We will also be talking about upcoming events like AAG [2][3] as well as getting
an update from the CUGOS crew that has been working hard on getting an OSM
planet dump imported and up with real time updates. Should be some great
discussion... we have learned a lot in the process.

Finally, there will be an OSM mapping event in the afternoon before the
CUGOS meeting. MattK has helped arrange for a space at Ridolfi across the
street from LizardTech. We will be doing hands on work in an effort to help
with the quake and tsunami in Japan. This will not be a basic training session
(although we want to encourage involvement)... but instead a hands on effort
to contribute to the mapping effort throughout the afternoon. Please be prepared
to make edits and contribute if you decide to come. The details follow below.

Hope to see you all there...

Aaron

[1] - Address athttp://lizardtech.com/company/contact.php
[2] - AAG -http://www.aag.org/cs/annualmeeting
[3] - AAG Planning -http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/AAG_2011

Event: Open Street Map hands-on session
Date: March 16th, 2011
Time: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Location:http://www.ridolfi.com/ conference room (capacity 20-30)
1011 Western Ave., Seattle, WA 98104
MapLink:http://www.ridolfi.com/contact.html
Facilitator: Dane Springmeyer (http://dbsgeo.com/)

Matt Kenny

Mar 15, 2011, 11:15:17 AM3/15/11
to Aaron Racicot, Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
My Fellow CUGOSians,

If you're planning on attending the OSM Quake/Tsunami effort at RIDOLFI, please plan on bringing your own laptop.

Additionally, we can be found on the 10th floor (Suite 1006) at the address Aaron listed below:

1011 Western Ave.,
Seattle, WA 98104

Once you get into the building, just hop onto an elevator and come on up.

-Matt
matthe...@gmail.com
ma...@ridolfi.com

m a t t h e w k e n n y
http://www.mkgeomatics.com

Matt Kenny

Mar 15, 2011, 1:27:55 PM3/15/11
to Walter Wittel, Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
Great question, Walter.

Just spoke with Dane on this point.

Anyone who is interested in attending should:
* Have an OSM user account [1]
* Begin familiarization with either Potlach 2 [2] and/or JOSM [3]

[1]: https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/new
[2]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potlatch_2
[3]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM

On 3/15/11, Walter Wittel <wwi...@lizardtech.com> wrote:
> Matt,
>
> Don't believe I'll be able to make it to this, but just in case what
> software prerequisites should be installed? I've used JOSM before but don't
> currently have it installed.
>
> Thanks,
> Walter

EliL

Mar 16, 2011, 2:07:04 AM3/16/11
to Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
Northern Friends,

March 31st-April 1st in Portland, is the annual open source GIS
unconference. Like last year, it will happen immediately after GIS In
Action (March 29-30th). You can find more information, the sign up
link, or add ideas to the page here,
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Pdx#Unconference_March_31st_and_April_1st.2C_2011

You can find more information about GIS In Action here,
http://www.orurisa.org/GIS_In_Action

If possible and not conflicting with any CUGOS events like AGG or
WAURISA, we'd like to borrow the CUGOS OSGEO booth kit (OSGEO banners,
etc). I think the ideal time frame would be from March 29th-April 1st
although the beginning is probably more important than the end.

Could this topic get added to the meeting agenda? Also, is there any
CUGOSian planning on attending or being in Portland roughly March 29 -
April 1 who would be willing to transport for us?

Thanks for considering this, Eli and your friends to the South

On Mar 15, 10:27 am, Matt Kenny <matthewke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great question, Walter.
>
> Just spoke with Dane on this point.
>
> Anyone who is interested in attending should:
>     * Have an OSM user account [1]
>     * Begin familiarization with either Potlach 2 [2] and/or JOSM [3]
>
> [1]:https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/new
> [2]:http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potlatch_2
> [3]:http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM
>
> On 3/15/11, Walter Wittel <wwit...@lizardtech.com> wrote:
>

> > Matt,
>
> > Don't believe I'll be able to make it to this, but just in case what
> > software prerequisites should be installed? I've used JOSM before but don't
> > currently have it installed.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Walter

Michael P. Gerlek

Mar 18, 2011, 12:49:41 PM3/18/11
to EliL, Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
I have the booth stuff on Bainbridge, but I don't have any way to get it to
Portland. If someone wants to transport it to Portland and can get it back
up to Seattle in time for the AAG conference, I'm willing to at least bring
it over on the ferry to downtown Seattle.

-mpg

Northern Friends,

nixzusehen

Mar 21, 2011, 4:57:45 PM3/21/11
to Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source

Sorry, I'm a little slow on this, I've been on vacation and just got
back (well, OK, two days isn't *that* slow).

Anyway, did we find a way to get this down here? I have a friend who
will be on Bainbridge this coming weekend, and would probably bring
the stuff back down here if you can get it to her. How much stuff are
we talking about?

I'm sure we won't have any trouble getting it back up for AAG. I'm
planning to be there myself, though I'm not sure yet if I'll be up for
the first couple days of the conference, so until I confirm that, we
probably don't want to count on me. Others here are likely attending,
however. I'm sure we can impress someone into it.

Darrell

Michael P. Gerlek

Mar 21, 2011, 5:05:01 PM3/21/11
to nixzusehen, Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
I would be totally all over having someone pick it up from my house here on
Bainbridge this weekend, and then you could arrange separately with Karsten
for the return trip.

-mpg

percy

Mar 21, 2011, 5:07:51 PM3/21/11
to cu...@googlegroups.com
That would be great! I'm sure someone from CUGOS is coming down for our
unconference this year, right? We could just send it back with them...

--
David Percy
Geospatial Data Manager

EliL

Mar 22, 2011, 1:21:21 AM3/22/11
to Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
Very much appreciated CUGOSians.