[cufón] Rendering problem with Myriad Pro Condensed

Mark Mahoney

May 28, 2009, 2:18:39 PM5/28/09
to cufón
I'm experiencing a problem with how Cufón is rendering Myriad Pro
Condensed. It is generating _extremely_ excessive spacing after some
punctuation characters. I've posted an example here:

http://experiments.instrum3nt.com/cufon-test/

So far, I've seen the problem with commas, apostrophes and hyphens. If
I change the "separate" option to "characters", the problem goes away.
Any thoughts?

- Mark

P.S. Cufón is amazing. I've completely replaced sIFR in my current
project, and other than this one bug it has been a dream come true.

Simo Kinnunen

May 29, 2009, 6:04:59 AM5/29/09
to cu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

I'm not sure why, but some of the kerning values (including the pair
"-" and " ") are absurdly high. If you're sure that the font file is
OK, it could be a bug in FontForge. I'll have to investigate a bit
more, but you can temporarily fix it by disabling kerning (uncheck
"Include kerning tables").

Where did you get the font file from?

Simo

Mark Mahoney

May 29, 2009, 1:07:45 PM5/29/09
to cufón
Ah ha! You're correct: there's something wrong with the file I was
generating from. The problematic file had come packaged with designs
for the project I'm working on. I used it because I knew we had a
licensed copy of Myriad Pro Condensed somewhere on our server at work,
but didn't want to go digging around to find it. But after your
suggestion I did just that, generated a new Cufón file, and now the
example works perfectly.

Sorry for the false alarm, and thanks for your help, Simo!

- Mark