crowdfunding

kse

Sep 27, 2012, 10:14:11 AM9/27/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
hey,
have you guys ever thought about going with this project on kickstarer to crowdfund a mass production?

best regards,
Kai

kiang

Sep 27, 2012, 10:40:55 AM9/27/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
I think the trial production is because they are trying to make sure it's stable enough. It would be a nightmare if there's one or more critical bug found after mass production. Well, just a thinking. :)

---
kiang

István Nagy

Sep 28, 2012, 5:19:42 AM9/28/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
+1 for moving this project to Kickstarter :) It would be awesome!

Alejandro Mery

Sep 28, 2012, 5:22:51 AM9/28/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
On 28 September 2012 11:19, István Nagy <nistv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 for moving this project to Kickstarter :) It would be awesome!

even if crowdfunding is a nice idea, kickstarter in particular is
US-only, and this project is chinese. pre-ordering or crowdfunding
will only work if the chosen service does smooth and inexpensive
payments to small entrepreneurs in mainland China.

Joshua Mesilane

Sep 28, 2012, 5:23:59 AM9/28/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com, cubie...@googlegroups.com
I don't see the point. The project is already off the ground, it's something that's done in spare time. The creator(s) already have full time jobs and throwing more money isn't going to change that. This project is already up and running, what is moving it to kickstarter going to achieve, except inundating the creators with orders, that they're already struggling to keep up with.

----
VK3XJM
0416 039 082

NOD

Sep 28, 2012, 6:52:00 AM9/28/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Exactly that's why.
More funds = able to increase production through various means = lower delivery and production time.
Though that requires the ability to manage all that, which could cut in the time used for R&D.

jons...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2012, 7:41:56 AM9/28/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 5:22 AM, Alejandro Mery <am...@geeks.cl> wrote:
> On 28 September 2012 11:19, István Nagy <nistv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1 for moving this project to Kickstarter :) It would be awesome!
>
> even if crowdfunding is a nice idea, kickstarter in particular is
> US-only, and this project is chinese. pre-ordering or crowdfunding

One member of the Kickstarter team has to be a US citizen. That
requirement has something to do with credit card processing laws and
preventing Kickstarter from being used for laundrying drug money.

Any one can buy from Kickstarter. The rest of the team can be from
anywhere too. Your company does not have to be US based, you just have
to have one US owner.

However, CubieBoard is only suitable in its current form for highly
technical people. You'd end up with a lot of unhappy Kickstarter
customers if you did it now. To minimize problems the kernel needs to
be in good enough shape that it is checked into mainline. Same for
Android or debian/ubuntu builds.

--
Jon Smirl
jons...@gmail.com

NOD

Sep 28, 2012, 9:19:44 AM9/28/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
True, would be a good idea to wait a few batches until the worst problems & niggles have been ironed out.

Tom Cubie

Sep 28, 2012, 12:56:23 PM9/28/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM, kiang <kia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the trial production is because they are trying to make sure it's
> stable enough. It would be a nightmare if there's one or more critical bug
> found after mass production. Well, just a thinking. :)
yes, this is what we think and worry about. First we ship about
hundreds of boards out and listen to the feedback. If the hardware is
proved stable. We can start massive production. Now we are looking a
factory which can manufacture enough boards when we really start
massive production.

--
Keep simple, stay foolish.

SunshineDigital

Oct 3, 2012, 5:31:15 AM10/3/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
happy to hear this, my impression is that the Raspberry Pi did not do so, thus their USB port is under powered and needs an external powered hub.  Small is wonderful, but small and complete is even better.

DAve Shillito

Oct 3, 2012, 7:46:55 AM10/3/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

To which on Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM, SunshineDigital <jackalo...@gmail.com> responded:

happy to hear this, my impression is that the Raspberry Pi did not do so, thus their USB port is under powered and needs an external powered hub.  Small is wonderful, but small and complete is even better.

I don't think the Raspberry Pi _needs_ an external USB hub, mine certainly has not as yet.

The only point where I thought I may was when it failed to power a wireless keyboard, but the problem turned out to be that I was using a cheap, underpowered and below spec power supply, changing this fixed the issue.

I have not tried to connect a USB powered HDD as yet, but then again my Dell laptop did not provide enough power to supply one of those either.

Out of interest the I believe the revision 2 Raspberry Pi board (modified after user feedback) can also be powered from a USB hub it is connected to (http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1929).

DAve