Gearing up for the next meeting (24/04/2010)

1 view

Neil Muller

Apr 6, 2010, 5:31:51 AM4/6/10
to ctpug
Since we're now less than 3 weeks from the next meeting, I guess it
time to start trying to get some ideas going.

So, suggestions for talks or activities / volunteers / people who can
be easily "volunteered" ?

--
Neil Muller
drnlm...@gmail.com

I've got a gmail account. Why haven't I become cool?

Raj Moodley

Apr 6, 2010, 5:40:58 AM4/6/10
to ct...@googlegroups.com
Hey Neil, do you have any Python contacts in Jhb?
--
Raj Moodley
Tel: +27 82 22 88 570

Simon Cross

Apr 9, 2010, 3:37:33 PM4/9/10
to ct...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Neil Muller <drnlm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, suggestions for talks or activities / volunteers / people who can
> be easily "volunteered" ?

After a discussion on #ctpug I'm volunteering to lead a Bitten sprint
if there's enough interest. I'm hoping David Fraser will join in since
he also has commit access.

If there is enough enthusiasm the plan would be to tackle some of the
tickets that need to be addressed for the 0.6 and 0.6.1 milestones [1,
2]. The 0.6 ones are obviously more important in terms of getting a
0.6 release out. We can fall back to 0.6.1 issue if we can't find
enough suitable taks in the 0.6 list. I'll try coordinate with the
current maintainer (osimons) beforehand so we don't end up working in
the wrong direction.

Testing Bitten changes is a little bit tricky. It does have a decent
test suite but since it's a web app one does ideally need a Bitten and
Trac instance running to do final tests on before committing. The
plan is for people to run and extend the unit tests on local machines
and have a Bitten / Trac instance on the CTPUG server to do final
tests against (slave can be run anywhere).

Osimons does also maintain a copy of Bitten at bitbucket --
http://bitbucket.org/osimons/bitten/. That might be the easiest way to
queue up patches that neither David nor I feel comfortable committing.

So, who's keen?

[1] http://bitten.edgewall.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=status&milestone=0.6

[2] http://bitten.edgewall.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=status&milestone=0.6.1

Schiavo
Simon

David Fraser

Apr 11, 2010, 2:52:49 AM4/11/10
to ct...@googlegroups.com

----- "Simon Cross" <hodg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Neil Muller <drnlm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > So, suggestions for talks or activities / volunteers / people who
> can
> > be easily "volunteered" ?
>
> After a discussion on #ctpug I'm volunteering to lead a Bitten sprint
> if there's enough interest. I'm hoping David Fraser will join in since
> he also has commit access.

Yay, I'd been hoping we'd do one of those - I'll be there

> If there is enough enthusiasm the plan would be to tackle some of the
> tickets that need to be addressed for the 0.6 and 0.6.1 milestones
> [1,
> 2]. The 0.6 ones are obviously more important in terms of getting a
> 0.6 release out. We can fall back to 0.6.1 issue if we can't find
> enough suitable taks in the 0.6 list. I'll try coordinate with the
> current maintainer (osimons) beforehand so we don't end up working in
> the wrong direction.
>
> Testing Bitten changes is a little bit tricky. It does have a decent
> test suite but since it's a web app one does ideally need a Bitten and
> Trac instance running to do final tests on before committing. The
> plan is for people to run and extend the unit tests on local machines
> and have a Bitten / Trac instance on the CTPUG server to do final
> tests against (slave can be run anywhere).

I've got some Windows VMs that we could use for slave testing too

> Osimons does also maintain a copy of Bitten at bitbucket --
> http://bitbucket.org/osimons/bitten/. That might be the easiest way to
> queue up patches that neither David nor I feel comfortable
> committing.
>
> So, who's keen?

Me!

Cheers
David

Neil Muller

Apr 12, 2010, 4:23:25 AM4/12/10
to ct...@googlegroups.com

So that's two votes for, and a couple of possibles from #ctpug, so,
unless I hear strenuous objections soon, I'm going to call this
consensus.

Simon Cross

Apr 12, 2010, 4:25:38 AM4/12/10
to ct...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Neil Muller <drnlm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So that's two votes for, and a couple of possibles from #ctpug, so,
> unless I hear strenuous objections soon, I'm going to call this
> consensus.

Woot. I'll start chatting to the lead Bitten developer about what to work on.

Foxinni

Apr 12, 2010, 6:06:36 AM4/12/10
to Cape Town Python Users Group
Hi All,

I just have to say that i'm keen to come to a Python type course, or
meetup.

But i have no idea what going on there on the Google Groups. It is
such a bad interface. :(

I've not attended the previous meetings so I'm afraid i might be out
of the loop. Is this the case? If so can i catch up anywhere?

Will try keep updated here. :)

Simon Cross

Apr 12, 2010, 6:35:57 AM4/12/10
to ct...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Foxinni <fox...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've not attended the previous meetings so I'm afraid i might be out
> of the loop. Is this the case? If so can i catch up anywhere?
>
> Will try keep updated here. :)

You can try joining us on IRC or have a look at the wiki
(http://ctpug.org.za/). Instructions for joining the IRC channel are
available on the front page.

Otherwise feel free to just show up at a meeting and introduce yourself.

Schiavo
Simon