Malloy: "Let the Republican candidates buy their nominations, Democrats should earn theirs"

Brian Durand

Jan 4, 2010, 12:01:24 PM1/4/10

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 4, 2010

Contact:
Brian Durand
860-547-1414 (off)
203-609-1636 (cell)

MALLOY CALLS ON LAMONT TO SUPPORT PUBLIC FINANCING

IN DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY FOR GOVERNOR

Says, “Let the Republican candidates buy their nominations, Democrats should earn theirs”

January 4, 2010 – Potential candidate for Governor Dan Malloy, the former Mayor of Stamford, today called on fellow Democrat Ned Lamont, also exploring a run for Governor, to support Connecticut’s Citizens’ Election Program (CEP) during the likely Democratic primary for Governor this year.  Malloy and other Democrats recently signed a pledge to participate fully in CEP should they decide to run in 2010.  Mr. Lamont was the only Democrat to choose not to sign.

Said Malloy:

“Today I’m calling on my friend and fellow Democrat Ned Lamont to commit to fully supporting and utilizing Connecticut’s Citizens’ Election Program in this year’s likely Democratic primary for Governor.

“I’ve been a staunch supporter of public campaign financing in Connecticut, and was proud to play an active role in promoting CEP’s passage in 2005.  Given the federal judge’s ruling, this important program is now in jeopardy.  In order for CEP to survive it needs the full and complete support of the entire Democratic Party.

“That means more than just words. It means actually utilizing a program that so many Democrats worked so hard to create.  If a well-known Democrat such as Ned chooses not to do so, it could deal a major blow to the system’s future.  It’s time to prove that our actions and our ideals are more than just rhetoric.

“Let the Republican Party be the Party that allows candidates to buy nominations.  We Democrats should be about something more meaningful than who has the deepest pockets and who can saturate the airwaves with the most 30-second TV spots.  We should be for a debate about our respective track records, our experiences, and our visions for the future – and we should have that debate on a level playing field.

“In 2006 Ned said, ‘We widely endorse the idea of a cap on spending. I think that is the key campaign finance reform.’ (Source: Truthdig interview, Blair Golson, Apr 25, 2006.).

“I agreed with that sentiment then, and I agree with it now.  Unless Ned’s had a change of heart in a big way, then this choice should be a no-brainer for him.”

###

Paid for by Dan Malloy for CT, Len Miller, Treasurer

For more information on Dan Malloy please visit www.danmalloy.com.