Update on CTCs and Telecentres

peter miller

Sep 20, 2011, 12:24:41 PM9/20/11
to ctcnet-...@googlegroups.com

Hi, all, I'm going to be offering a workshop on CTCs and telecentres at this fall's community informatics conference in Prato (see http://cirn.wikispaces.com/Prato2011).  It's based on a day-long session I put together for the "Communities and Technologies" conference in Brisbane this summer that I wasn't able to deliver (at http://ct2011.urbaninformatics.net/program/workshops/workshop-j).  I'd like to be able to include an update on recent developments, new resources, studies, models, organizational info and would welcome your suggestions.

I know there's an interesting new free e-book on the digital divide (www.praxis-epress.org/availablebooks/ictgeographies.html) and something about the developing resources of Community Technology Network (http://ctnbayarea.org/resources).  Chuck Sherwood edited an excellent issue of the "Community Technology Review" last summer with lots of good profiles of new and emerging community media centers.  We know there's a movement afoot to develop a new CTCNet organization. If you know of anything recent about these, the BTOP public computer centers, what's going on with telecentre.org, or any other relevant new info, please post or otherwise let me know.

thanks, ----peter

Angela Siefer

Sep 20, 2011, 2:56:33 PM9/20/11
to ctcnet-...@googlegroups.com
Peter,
The Mid-Course Workshop for Broadband Awardees (Oct 5-7) includes a session called Digital Inclusion Peer to Peer Network After BTOP, facilitated by myself and Kami Griffiths. We'll be posting notes on the conference wiki.

Angela

Angela Siefer
http://shinydoor.com
@angelasiefer

John Zoltner

Sep 20, 2011, 2:37:29 PM9/20/11
to ctcnet-...@googlegroups.com, peter miller, Julian Casasbuenas G, ol...@colnodo.apc.org, tess...@foo.ncc.gov.ph, polly....@uem.mz, mmij...@yahoo.com
Hi Peter:

telecentre.org started as a program of the Canadian International Development Research Centre (IDRC - www.idrc.ca)  in 2005 but was spun off as the Telecentre.org Foundation (http://www.telecentre.org/), which is based in Manila, Philippines where one of its active member networks is located, PhilCeCNet, or the Philippine Community eCenter Network (http://www.philcecnet.ph/). Despite the name, the Telecentre.org Foundation is not a grant-making institution, so please don't fire off those Letters of Intent.

Probably the biggest development in telecentre.org over the past year or so is the consolidation of the regional network partners (which are all listed here with links to their web sites: http://www.telecentre.org/networks/), including the formalization of the Latin American network (Telecentros LAC: La Red de Redes, http://www.telecentros.org/, based at the nonprofit COLNODO, an APC member, in Bogotá, Colombia and the PanAfrican Network, netafrica (http://www.net-africa.org/).

There has never been much coordination between telecentre.org and US networks, though it seems clear that there are a lot of reasons why cooperation and coordination might make sense. Tess Camba (tess...@foo.ncc.gov.ph) is the acting Executive Director. The Foundation should be announcing a new Executive Director shortly -- possible before October - so that would be a good opportunity to reach out.

--John

P.S. I'm cc'ing Tess as well as some folks from the Latin American and African networks FYI.
_______________________

John Zoltner
Director, Latinoamérica y el Caribe, DataDyne.org
President, The Zoltner Consulting Group

Bio: http://www.google.com/profiles/jzoltner
web: www.datadyne.orgwww.zoltner.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jzoltner
Twitter: @jzoltner
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jzoltner
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/zoltnergroup

zol...@zoltner.com  |  Skype: john_zoltner
Santiago, Chile
Tel: 562-895-6922
Cel: 569-74-953-935

______________________________________
John Zoltner (Bio)

Director, DataDyne.org Office for Latin America and the Caribbean
Santiago, Chile
Cel: +569-74 953 935 | Tel: +562-895-6922

Martin Wolske

Sep 20, 2011, 6:55:51 PM9/20/11
to ctcnet-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a very interesting session, Peter. This is the first year in a few that I won't be going to Prato and am disappointed I'll miss this workshop! Over the last year or so I've had a few groups of students from a range of disciplines including library and information science and architecture who have collaborated with some of our community partner sites to help develop some ideas on design of space to support effective use of public computing. Their work has been put online at:
http://www.prairienet.org/op/labdesign/

Included on that site is some preliminary results of a case study we completed last summer on the impact of incorporating evidence-based design within public computing spaces (see http://www.prairienet.org/op/labdesign/design-principles-a-case-example/ ). Adam Kehoe is a PhD student at the Graduate School of Library and Information Science and will be attending the Prato conference. We've submitted a full report of the case study to the Journal of Community Informatics for review as well and are awaiting word on the review of that.

-- Martin

Martin Wolske, Senior Research Scientist and Adjunct Faculty
Graduate School of Library & Information Science
337 LIS Building, 501 East Daniel Street
Champaign, IL 61820

217-244-8094 (office) 217-244-3302 (fax) 217-840-7434 (cell)

Community Informatics Initiative
http://www.cii.uiuc.edu

On Sep 20, 2011, at 11:24 AM, peter miller wrote:

> Hi, all, I'm going to be offering a workshop on CTCs and telecentres at this fall's community informatics conference in Prato (see http://cirn.wikispaces.com/Prato2011). It's based on a day-long session I put together for the "Communities and Technologies" conference in Brisbane this summer that I wasn't able to deliver (athttp://ct2011.urbaninformatics.net/program/workshops/workshop-j). I'd like to be able to include an update on recent developments, new resources, studies, models, organizational info and would welcome your suggestions.

> I know there's an interesting new free e-book on the digital divide (www.praxis-epress.org/availablebooks/ictgeographies.html) and something about the developing resources of Community Technology Network (http://ctnbayarea.org/resources). Chuck Sherwood edited an excellent issue of the "Community Technology Review" last summer with lots of good profiles of new and emerging community media centers. We know there's a movement afoot to develop a new CTCNet organization. If you know of anything recent about these, the BTOP public computer centers, what's going on with telecentre.org, or any other relevant new info, please post or otherwise let me know.
> thanks, ----peter

Kami

Sep 22, 2011, 9:07:19 AM9/22/11
to CTCNet-listserv
Peter,

David Keyes in Seattle is nearly ready to relaunch the Communities
Connect Network (CCN), he may have some additional material/ideas to
share.

No big updates on developing a national network, but we have access to
a Community Technology Community of Practice platform through NTEN
that has a forum, listserv, library (for files), calendar, blog, wiki
and they give each group one free webinar a month. The CoP has had a
slow start, since many of us don't have the capacity to develop a plan
for how to maximize it to benefit the community. Check it out here:
http://groups.nten.org/CoP-CT. If anyone is interested in learning
more or playing a leadership role in this project, please let me
know.

There's a group in MN called the Technology Literacy Collaborative
that has a nice site full of resources: http://tlc-mn.org/. MN also
has the Community Technology Empowerment Project which uses AmeriCorps
members to manage computer centers: http://wip.technologypower.org/. I
highlighted their program in a recent webinar:
https://cc.readytalk.com/cc/playback/Playback.do?id=6gvcar

I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your presentation!

Thanks!
--
Kami Griffiths
Community Technology Network

On Sep 20, 9:24 am, peter miller <pet...@igc.org> wrote:
> Hi, all, I'm going to be offering a workshop on CTCs and telecentres at this
> fall's community informatics conference in Prato (seehttp://cirn.wikispaces.com/Prato2011).  It's based on a day-long session I
> put together for the "Communities and Technologies" conference in Brisbane
> this summer that I wasn't able to deliver (athttp://ct2011.urbaninformatics.net/program/workshops/workshop-j).  I'd like

Pierre Clark

Sep 22, 2011, 9:13:40 AM9/22/11
to ctcnet-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Kami, Peter et al:

Good to hear from you and see you active here. We're working on a Neighborhood Technology Congress in Chicago and our DexCon Conference for 2011 and we will keep you informed via this space.

We are developing a network of CTCs here in Chicago and are working on a support framework. I would like to continue the work we started last year in talking about the relaunch or emergence of a new national network. I'd like to get it moved to the next level. I'll review the links you all have and send along some ideas on how we can get started. Good luck, Peter, with your presentation.

Pierre A. Clark
Co-Founder and Executive Director
Chicago Digital Access Alliance Inc.