Is SHA224 supported for ECDSA<ECP, SHA224>? - urgent

greatx

Sep 29, 2007, 4:34:32 PM9/29/07
to Crypto++ Users
I need to use the folowing:

ECDSA<ECP, SHA>::Signer sig1;
ECDSA<ECP, SHA224>::Signer sig224;
ECDSA<ECP, SHA256>::Signer sig256;

but I see that SHA224 does not build. Is this not supported in crypto+
+?
If not, then how can I make it work somehow?

Thank you.
Christian

Wei Dai

Sep 29, 2007, 6:25:05 PM9/29/07
to greatx, Crypto++ Users
It works fine for me with MSVC 2005 and Crypto++ 5.5.2. Please post the
following information if you want further help:

* exact error message
* version of Crypto++, operating system (output of "uname -a" command if
using Unix), and compiler (output of "gcc -v" if using GCC)

Sep 29, 2007, 9:37:31 PM9/29/07
to Crypto++ Users
I have just built version 5.5.2 of crypto++ and it worked fine! This
was a good excuse for moving forward...
Thanks for the hints...

By the way, will 5.5.2 be FIPS certified at some point?

Christian

Wei Dai

Sep 29, 2007, 10:01:22 PM9/29/07
to greatx, Crypto++ Users
There are no plans for further FIPS validated versions at this point. The
FIPS testing costs about $30000 per release. The reason they were being done
is that Groove Networks (now part of Microsoft) needed new FIPS validated
versions as they upgraded their compiler from MSVC 6 to 2003 to 2005, and
was willing to pay for the testing.

I was going to suggest that you use Crypto++ 5.3 if you need FIPS
validation, but C++ DLLs are not compatible between different MSVC versions,
so unless you upgrade your compiler you can't use that one (which only works
with MSVC 2005). The only FIPS validated DLL that is compatible with MSVC 6
is 5.0.4, but it doesn't have SHA-224, which was added in version 5.2.2.