RE: [Critical Care Nutrition] Digest for criticalcarenutrition@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 2 topics

MacEachern, Judy

Mar 30, 2016, 12:27:47 PM3/30/16
to criticalca...@googlegroups.com

Margot - Re: GRV - we never check them routinely (hasn't been our practice in > 15 y)

Karen - Re: ND tubes and free water.  I wonder if the reference to 150 mL free water was based on that old case report (>10 y ago) where large boluses of distilled water were administered in a jejunally fed burn patient? We give 150-200 mL boluses of sterile water for the treatment of hypernatremia in stable ICU patient (i.e., not hypernatremia that may occur during fluid resuscitation from HONK/HHS or DKA).

Judy MacEachern RD CDE

Guelph General Hospital

Mar 31, 2016, 8:06:11 AM3/31/16
to criticalca...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your response Judy, I think my question is should there by a volume limit to the amount of bolus given at one time into the duodenum? The docs are ordering 400 c.c. boluses, which seems to me  like too much at once. Thanks, Karen
Apr 2, 2016, 5:36:13 PM4/2/16
to criticalca...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karen.  The aim to limit the bolus is to avoid reflux (risk of aspitarion). Bolus 400-500 mL still OK for patients if the patient in head up position (45 degrees),  gaster can enlarge until a volume of 1 L. Note: if we give a bolus, after some time the the volume in the gaster will increase due to the secretion of gastric juice.
I, myself don't give too much bolus (>300mL), with consideration of patient comfort. Hope this can help. LUCY

LUCY

Drover, Dr. John W.

Apr 3, 2016, 11:34:46 PM4/3/16
to criticalca...@googlegroups.com

Hi Karen,

I am not aware of good data to identify what the maximum volume of a bolus that can be safely delivered into the SB. It would be modified by how quickly it is delivered. I have not qualms about delivering 250ml as a push would probably be OK with volumes up to 500ml delivered over an hour but that is just comfort, not evidence. Perhaps you could generate the empiric evidence of safety by monitoring the volume of boluses given and any complications experienced.

Cheers

John W. Drover, MD, FRCSC, FACS, CCPE
Professor and Head
Department of Critical Care Medicine
Queen’s University
Program Medical Director, Critical Care Program
Davies 2
Kingston General Hospital
76 Stuart Street
Kingston, Ontario
Canada
K7L 2V7
Phone 613-549-6666 ext 6335
Fax 613-548-1325

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of this communication is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this e-mail.

KAREN

Apr 4, 2016, 2:55:04 PM4/4/16
to criticalca...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Lucy and Dr. Drover!