Crisis Mapping Volunteer Survey!!

Tait Brimacombe

Jun 6, 2018, 1:50:16 AM6/6/18
to CrisisCommons

We are seeking participants to complete a short (20 min) survey on their experiences volunteering through crisis mapping. Survey available here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/S32HP8X

This survey forms part of University of Adelaide interdisciplinary research project – Humanitarian Emergencies in a Digital World. This project seeks to understand why people all over the world participate in crisis responses, in particularly why people choose to volunteer, their experiences of the process and their perceptions of the impact. This project aims to contribute to our understanding of the how processes such as crowdsourcing and crisis mapping help to inform the situational awareness of humanitarian aid workers during emergencies.

We are hoping that some Crisis Commons members would be interested in participating in this survey. A link to the survey, and some additional information about this project is available online here.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Best,
Tait Brimacombe

…On behalf of the research team

Julie Wolf

Jan 26, 2020, 4:23:39 PM1/26/20
to CrisisCommons
I met someone who does work similar to CrisisCommon and wondered if you still exist?  Please advise?!

Julie

Luis Hernando Aguilar

Jan 26, 2020, 7:17:16 PM1/26/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
That's a nice question. 10 years ago Crisis Commons become one of the most important platforms to improve the digital volunteering experience with us in the United Nations. Who is still working or interested? This coming decade will need more organizations and initiatives like CC :)

Best regards
Luis

Heather Blanchard

Jan 26, 2020, 8:25:11 PM1/26/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
 👋 Some of us are here. We should meet up sometime

Noel Dickover

Jan 26, 2020, 8:57:29 PM1/26/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Would be fun to discuss old times. ~Noel

Pascal Schuback

Jan 26, 2020, 9:29:06 PM1/26/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

As Heather said earlier, some of us are still around and working on projects.  Yes, Noel, it would be fun to discuss old times and possibly new possibilities?  Cheers.

Pascal

--

Pascal Schuback
pas...@schuback.com

Everett Batey G

Jan 26, 2020, 9:35:18 PM1/26/20
to CrisisCommons Googlegroups
Still tracking, still interested.  Thank you all who admitted the rest of us to help.
Inclusion is VERY important.  Lots of smoking brains.

 VR/  Everett Batey / efb...@gmail.com / +1-805-616-2471 / Facebook efbatey
      FAX:  +1-805-309-0293

Visit SoCal Linux Expo. <http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/
5-8 Mar
2020
       Even Dinosaurs can be CIVIL at home and at work

Cat Graham

Jan 27, 2020, 1:41:35 AM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com

Sulaiman Niazi

Jan 27, 2020, 1:44:02 AM1/27/20
to CrisisCommons
Anyone in Dallas?

Pat Tressel

Jan 27, 2020, 2:12:35 AM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Julie, thank you for poking the list!  I'm seeing lots of familiar names...  Hello, Cat, Pascal, Heather, Luis, Everett, Noel,...apologies for not remembering everyone. :D  Pleased to meet you, Sulaiman!

These days, I'm mostly just mapping.  Luis -- agree 100% with the increasing need in the near term...  There are some new organizations popping up, for instance World Central Kitchen (https://wck.org/).  I noticed recently that Digital Humanitarians has stopped organizing volunteers -- I gather from the note on the website that official agencies now have more direct ways of contacting volunteers.

-- Pat

Laura Morris

Jan 27, 2020, 2:38:18 AM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Nice to come to my inbox this morning and get a blast from the past!  The Missing Maps project is still going strong: https://www.missingmaps.org/

Best wishes to everyone!

Julie, thank you for poking the list!  I'm seeing lots of familiar names...  Hello, Cat, Pascal, Heather, Luis, Everett, Noel,...apologies for not remembering everyone. :D  Pleased to meet you, Sulaiman!

These days, I'm mostly just mapping.  Luis -- agree 100% with the increasing need in the near term...  There are some new organizations popping up, for instance World Central Kitchen (https://wck.org/).  I noticed recently that Digital Humanitarians has stopped organizing volunteers -- I gather from the note on the website that official agencies now have more direct ways of contacting volunteers.

-- Pat

Spike

Jan 27, 2020, 3:51:10 AM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am still here - on the side ;-)

After Crisis Commons faded a lot of people went on to do amazing things is other fields - not necessarily related fields.

My experience of helping to run Crisis Camp London (and others) helped in my day job and volunteering with Mozilla (and others).

Am *STILL* admining a MikiWedia (in joke there) instance and struggling with WordPress :) :)

Spike
(PS - amazed at how many people are still subscribed to this Google Group - thought I had banned you years ago ;-) )

Evert Bopp

Jan 27, 2020, 3:53:02 AM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Hey all!
Still here.

Evert Bopp
Disaster Tech Lab

Alex Rose

Jan 27, 2020, 8:50:28 AM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com

Alia Papageorgiou

Jan 27, 2020, 9:45:36 AM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Hi from Brussels y'all!

Alia Papageorgiou

https://
Please consider the environment before printing this email. Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.

Whitney Zatzkin

Jan 27, 2020, 9:55:35 AM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Hello all -

This thread is heartwarming to see.

--
S. Whitney Zatzkin, MPA, MSR
202.957.5422  | @MsWZ

Spike

Jan 27, 2020, 10:02:15 AM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Amazing!

Some data for the engine room ;-)
  • We have had more traffic on this listserv in the last 24hours than in the last five years
  • Despite the lack of action we STILL have 599 subscribers - only 19 of these is "bouncing"
Spike

Silona

Jan 27, 2020, 10:41:34 AM1/27/20
to CrisisCommons
Wow, can't believe only 19 bounces after all these years.

Ben Smilowitz

Jan 27, 2020, 10:58:47 AM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!  Great to hear from everyone after so much time.

I'm still at it-- focused on our new SmartResponse.org platform, designed to leverage data to curate localized and data-informed "how to help" lists.  If donors had better information about how/where to give more directly, aid would reach locally responsive organizations faster and there would also be better data available with a new incentive for organizations to share it.

The effort advances the localization agenda, increases transparency, removes intermediaries, and provides better data to the range of stakeholders.

I welcome collaboration with others from this group.  Please let me know if you'd like to learn more or get involved.

In the first two years since going live, nearly 500 organizations self-registered from over 45 countries and 20 US states and territories.  The platform was built by volunteer developers around the world and organizations register for free.  SmartResponse does not take a cut or fee on donations made to organizations on the platform.  We are not another intermediary.

Thank you!!
Ben Smilowitz
Disaster Accountability Project

Heather Blanchard

Jan 27, 2020, 11:07:45 AM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
I was mentioning to Pascal that it might be good to get the historical things just out and available and maybe have an evergreen website and some Twitter engagement...

There was so much done, would be great to make it permanently available.

Also would love to see folks. I’d be up for a meeting or retreat in 2020.

Silona Bonewald

Jan 27, 2020, 11:15:27 AM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
I work in Open Source but not really crisis management.  The technologies I work with like Hyperledger could make it easier and better though...

--
Silona Bonewald
gvoice: (704) 750-9220

Spike

Jan 27, 2020, 11:31:35 AM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
On 27/01/2020 16:04, Heather Blanchard wrote:
> I was mentioning to Pascal that it might be good to get the historical
> things just out and available and maybe have an evergreen website and
> some Twitter engagement...
Would love to see if the wiki is backed-up somewhere - some people had
put in an amazing amount of creativity and effort producing some (even
now) useful resources.

> There was so much done, would be great to make it permanently available.
Agreed!

> Also would love to see folks. I’d be up for a meeting or retreat in 2020.

When were we in Toronto?

Spike

Nathan DiNiro

Jan 27, 2020, 12:45:08 PM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
+1 on list poking!

I am down to meet virtually, any time. Physically takes a little more planning. 🙄

It seems like quite an opportune time to convene in some fashion. CC is a common thread in a number of my thoughts as of late, and the landscape has changed so much and on so many fronts since the CC's highly active times. Perhaps nowhere as much as the digital space, and the intersection of a whole lot of stuff. I feel like Puerto Ricans

Silona, Mercy Corps is working with Hyperledger to experiment with identity and blockchain in humanitarian aid, finance, etc. I am happy to help connect you there if you like.

We're not getting any younger, and as Heather pointed out, I believe that it's important to keep the flame and broadcast knowledge & skills. Increasing public resilience seems even more important today that it was 10 years ago.

The research in the original appeal for survey responses seems potentially valuable data, I would love to get things moving again!

-Nate

Jeannie Stamberger

Jan 27, 2020, 1:13:54 PM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends!
Pretty cool to see the activity on this list!
-Jeannie

Jeannie A. Stamberger, Ph.D.
Skype: jeannie.stamberger1
+1 (650) 380-1158

Pascal Schuback

Jan 27, 2020, 1:43:37 PM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Spike!

I have been working on a plan for the wiki. As well as a way to start some things back \up again.  More to come.

John Higgins

Jan 27, 2020, 2:34:21 PM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com

Evert Bopp

Jan 27, 2020, 3:04:00 PM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
So who is East of the Atlantic and who isn't?
I know Spike is in the UK. At least last time I checked he was...

Evert Bopp.

John Higgins

Jan 27, 2020, 3:12:15 PM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
I am in Florida for the foreseeable future.

Julie Wolf

Jan 27, 2020, 6:01:32 PM1/27/20
to CrisisCommons
Thanks Pat and everyone for such response! Good to know eh?  Anyone want to set some dates for a Zoom meeting, for old (and new) times sake?
I hope to invite my friend Thomas Price here, if I can figure our how.  I worked on that wiki - would love to see it again.

~ Julie Wolf

Linda Villarreal

Jan 27, 2020, 8:16:35 PM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
I am also in Florida. Looking forward to Zoom.

Pascal Schuback

Jan 27, 2020, 9:38:20 PM1/27/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
I will work on a time for a zoom call in the next couple of weeks.

Pascal

Pascal

Spike

Jan 28, 2020, 4:21:08 AM1/28/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
On 27/01/2020 16:04, Heather Blanchard wrote:
> I was mentioning to Pascal that it might be good to get the historical
> things just out and available and maybe have an evergreen website and
> some Twitter engagement...

        We still have our Facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/CrisisCommons also :)

Spike

Spike

Jan 28, 2020, 4:22:41 AM1/28/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Excellent!

Spike

Miles Fidelman

Jan 28, 2020, 10:14:01 AM1/28/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com

Is anybody here working on crisis preparation, community resiliency, etc.?

It's been occurring to me that it's time for a pro-active equivalent of crisis mapping - crowdsourcing a green new deal, so to speak.  Anybody been involved in community-level visioning exercises, things like the MIT Climate CoLaboratory, in their communities?

Anybody interested in getting something going - either in their communities, or as a more coordinated program involving multiple communities?

Miles Fidelman

On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:50:16 PM UTC-7, Tait Brimacombe wrote:

[...]

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown

Ben Smilowitz

Jan 28, 2020, 11:17:48 AM1/28/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miles,

We are mapping local NGOs/civil society in communities around the US and globally.   (in SmartResponse.org)

Many orgs are sharing data with the incentive that the data will be used to curate localized "how to help" lists but in fact the data collected can be used by all stakeholders.  In many ways, it's the start of asset mapping across the NGO sector and all the data becomes public.

I'd love to work with members on this community to improve/expand it.

thank you,
Ben Smilowitz

Richard Taylor

Jan 28, 2020, 12:09:09 PM1/28/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Too many posts to keep up with. If anyone is interested in supporting communities in an international crisis/ resilience/sustainability context, see www.crowdresponder.net/ . I sometimes act as a volunteer coordinator, when time allows.
Richard

Luis Hernando Aguilar

Jan 30, 2020, 11:30:19 AM1/30/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Dear all
Is inspiring to see all those messages :)
Is nice to see all those initiatives!

When I have done free time of my UN duties, I lead a disaster risk reduction initiative named "Kitum" under the umbrella of The Iberoamerican General Secretariat. We promote the citizen participation in disaster risk reduction using the technology. We aim to cover Iberoamerica (Spain, Portugal, Andorra, and from Mexico to Argentina) more info in kitum.org (will be nice to join efforts!)

About myself, after Haiti and Chile in 2010, I supported (with some of you guys) the Libia crisismap and keep working with colombian crisis. In 2013 as Part of UNOCHA I participated in the Haiyan /Yolanda typhoon response in the Philippines. In 2014-2015 as part of UNMEER I lived in Sierra Leona, Liberia and Guinea during the Ebola outbreak. I provided support to the Ecuador earthquake response and then I moved to WHO, to work in the Syria crisis response. I provided support to the Venezuela migration and my last deployment was last year with WHO I'm Moçambique, after Idai and Keneth cyclones.

Leaving those emergencies I do see how important are initiatives such as Crisis Commons! For sure!

Please feel free to ask any questions and receive a big humanitarian hug :D

Luis

Julie Wolf

Jan 30, 2020, 3:39:44 PM1/30/20
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Great work Luis! Here's a humanitarian hug back at you!
Question for all: Whose on the Facebook group (poked a day or 2 ago about this GGroup and a possible Zoom meeting (s)?.
If ts it gets too hard here ("too many message) to communicate we can also try FB.

Julie Wolf

Permablitz Pacific Northwest https://www.facebook.com/PermablitzPacificNorthwest
Northwest Permaculture Convergence Instagram and new YouTube
Global Earth Repair Facilitator  https://earthrepair.friendsofthetrees.net/
OrganicFoodBliss on Wordpress & Instagram
SYOS a Skype Knowledge Membership: SeeYouOnSkype.com

1-360-275-0212 Home Office
1-858-848-7047 Text Me (GoogleVoice)
Skype: Julie Wolf - Skype Strategist

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "CrisisCommons" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/crisiscommons/CALhEE30-6k63fVRW0KN5MP1R2dQkNiPbdcxxipq%3Dcm-7pNAskA%40mail.gmail.com.

omdes...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2020, 9:45:40 AM1/31/20
to CrisisCommons
Hi everyone!!!!
I’m so happy to see the energy here. We all have opportunities to pull together and use our experience to make tooling and processes and communities better. I miss some of those days I miss you all and the need has not slowed at all. Hurricane Maria and the recent warehouse discoveries in Puerto Rico show us that even though it is easier than ever to communicate with the public, that definitely does not mean that those communications are any more effective than before. It is still me premise that the top-down paradigm is at fault and will never produce the good that we want to see. For my part, I am still plugging away at the platform I wanted to create ten years ago putting needs in direct contact with tresources and acknowledging that everyone not only has something to offer, but offering it is essential to mitigate long term community trauma. I want to put the human on the ground in the driver seat of their recovery. My methodology is dirt simple and implementation, I believe, will be entirely intuitive to the ‘next 5 billion’ humans entering the digital realm. I’m looking for feedback, collaborators, and grants/funding/support because everything that sparked this idea still exists. Good and bad. Even Ushahidi launched a spinoff to implement one half of this idea as Dispatcher. However, the second half is almost more important because it promotes human dignity as the basic premise of a system where every individual is the key stakeholder. I’m still in the Boston area and if anyone wants to get together I’d be extremely happy to join. Love and Peace (now more than ever), Om Goeckermann
Message has been deleted