Ethan Zuckerman's Blog + the Berkman Slidedeck + Sloan

Heather Blanchard

Sep 3, 2010, 10:29:05 AM9/3/10
to crisis...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if we could take better notes than Ethan (tho we will post them too). But in the interim here are is the Berkman Presentation and his blog which really recapped the discussion. The major thing here is that a group of experts said that how we defined the problem was right on. That is a big deal. That means validation.

Blog: http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/blog/2010/09/02/crisis-commons-and-the-challenges-of-distributed-disaster-response/

Presentation: http://www.slideshare.net/poplifegirl/08-31-10-berkman-presentation

The Sloan presentation next week will be 10 slides and very high level compared to the Berkman presentation which we got into the weeds.

Remember what I mentioned earlier this week (when you look at the presentation), the organizational framework is based on what we have learned and is for illustrative purposes. This is what I draw on the white board at the unconference in July. Just to remind everyone, there are no decisions just ideas right now. Our pitch for Sloan next week will be here is what we have learned over the last few months, here is what we think might good for the future but we need support to work with the community more, meaning VTCs and CROs, to outline/develop requirements of what is needed, generate formal buy-in and create a model of sustainability.

Ethan has real experience with the challenge of sustainability and GeekCorps doesn't exist anymore. We want to learn from him and everyone else who has done this kind of thing before in some respect.

Also to clarify if the posts earlier were not clear - here is the process with Sloan next week:

+ We present on September 8th. From this presentation they decide whether or not to invite us to write a Trustee Proposal.
+ If yes, we spend two months writing a 100 page proposal outlining our approach for the next three years. There will be significant engagement with everyone here, SMEs and our Program Director on approach of the proposal.
+ In November we would turn in the proposal then Sloan decides at their December Trustee meeting.
+ If at the December meeting Sloan says yes, we begin support on January 1, 2011 for 2-3 years in the development of the Commons with the Community.

- If Sloan says no next week, then we just post all the documents on the CrisisCommons webpage (which we will do anyways) and say this needs to be supported.

So next week is just the first step in a long journey. We hope to have a slidedeck done by the end of Saturday for everyone to take a look at.

Good luck with the Marathon that begins today! Super energy everywhere!

Heather B.