CP2K at Launchpad

Ondrej Marsalek

May 27, 2009, 5:44:55 PM5/27/09
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have entered the CP2K project to Launchpad:

https://launchpad.net/cp2k

The motivation was to have the code available through something else
than CVS, which bazaar fits nicely. After some initial trouble and
help from one of the admins, the whole repository was imported and the
branch is now updated every 12 hours from the CVS repo.

I post this announcement because I thought that someone else than me
might find this useful.

Regards,
Ondrej

Fawzi Mohamed

May 28, 2009, 3:32:14 AM5/28/09
to cp...@googlegroups.com
I think that having a single central repository for CP2K, so that
there aren't many slightly different versions was always an important
aspect, so I don't know if this is such a good idea.

Fawzi

Ondrej Marsalek

May 28, 2009, 3:48:09 AM5/28/09
to cp...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 09:32, Fawzi Mohamed <fa...@gmx.ch> wrote:

> I think that having a single central repository for CP2K, so that
> there aren't many slightly different versions was always an important
> aspect, so I don't know if this is such a good idea.

Sure, I see the point here. I certainly would not want to change this.
As I said, this was meant as a convenience that I find useful. What I
forgot to say - I only want to use this as read-only. In fact, it
probably would not make much sense to commit to this automatically
updated mirror of the CVS repo anyway.

Anyone can make their own private checkout (or branch, because of the
way bazaar works) just as they can from the CVS repository. I
absolutely do not want to encourage anyone to contribute any code to
CP2K anywhere else than the official repository. It is just that I
find it more convenient to work with a bazaar checkout/branch than a
CVS checkout.

Ondrej

Ondrej Marsalek

May 28, 2009, 3:57:20 AM5/28/09
to cp...@googlegroups.com
And one more clarification: The fact that I have also registered the
CP2K project at Launchpad is only given by the requirement that the
mirrored bazaar branch has to be linked to a project that exists at
Launchpad. There is no (hidden or otherwise) intention to split the
project in some way. I think that would be very confusing indeed.

I have not enabled any of the Launchpad features for development (and
it says that CP2K does not use Launchpad for development) and have
provided links to the official web page.

Ondrej

Teodoro Laino

May 28, 2009, 4:05:57 AM5/28/09
to cp...@googlegroups.com
I fully agree with Fawzi.

I don't want to enter in personal discussions. Free to work with bazaar
if you like.
Can I just suggest you something quite naive for the next time?
Install bazaar on your machine and use it. No need to have an on-line
service.. which really looks like a
split project.

More important, as a sort of respect for the people that put their time
on this project and make available instantly the products
of their work.. these kinds of "operations" must be discussed and
agreed by the majority of people regularly involved into it.
Maybe you are used to do what you want.. fine as long as you don't
interfere with the work that for several years, several people have
dedicated to this project (for some 10 years and for some less..).

Teo

Ondrej Marsalek

May 28, 2009, 6:01:12 AM5/28/09
to cp...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:05, Teodoro Laino <teodor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I fully agree with Fawzi.

Me too.

> I don't want to enter in personal discussions. Free to work with bazaar
> if you like.
> Can I just suggest you something quite naive for the next time?
> Install bazaar on your machine and use it. No need to have an on-line
> service..

As I hope is apparent, I do have bazaar installed. Launchpad provides
(among other things) a service - the import and ragular update of CVS
repositories to make them available through. As a bonus, it also
provides a nice web browser of that repocitory. This can't be achieved
locally with bazaar. In principle, I am sure this can be done locally,
somehow (as it is being done on Launchpad servers), but there is no
direct way of doing it. Therefore, the existing on-line service is in
fact very useful.

> which really looks like a
> split project.

Not meant that way, as I said. Can you please tell me, what changes
would remove that "look" to you? If these changes equal to removing it
entirely, then be it, but I would really like to know.

Running a Google search for "Does not use Launchpad for development."
return about 49200 hits, showing that this is quite a common situation.
Project are routinely registered at Launchpad to provide a consistent
way to refer to them internally in Launchpad (if they are packaged for
Ubuntu, for example) as well as to provide access to the code through
bazaar.

> More important, as a sort of respect for the people that put their time
> on this project and make available instantly the products
> of their work.. these kinds of  "operations" must be discussed and
> agreed by the majority of people regularly involved into it.

Does it mean disrespect that I want to use the code? Is it disrespectful
that I want to be able to view it a way that is more efficient for me
and that allows me to understand it better? Because that was the only
point of this, apparently futile, exercise.

> Maybe you are used to do what you want.. fine as long as you don't
> interfere with the work that for several years, several people have
> dedicated to this project (for some 10 years and for some less..).

Without trying to get into a flamewar, I do not see any interference
here, so it is hard for me to understand what you are talking about. It
is great that people make available the results of their work, but they
do this of their own free will and must naturally expect others to want
to use these products.

The bottom line is, if you really consider this a negative thing and do
not see an easy way to keep the ability to have the bazaar mirror
available without you getting the impression described above, I will of
course see to it that any reference to CP2K at Launchpad caused by my
actions is removed.

Ondrej

Ondrej Marsalek

Aug 4, 2009, 8:10:17 AM8/4/09
to cp...@googlegroups.com
I have requested the removal of CP2K from Launchpad. I will post a
confirmation here once it is done. I apologise that it took so long.

If anyone is interested in having CP2K as a bazaar branch, let me
know, I have the local process (more or less) working, thanks to some
help from Launchpad people.

Best,
Ondrej

Ondrej Marsalek

Aug 17, 2009, 1:49:29 PM8/17/09
to cp...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 14:10, Ondrej Marsalek<ondrej....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have requested the removal of CP2K from Launchpad. I will post a
> confirmation here once it is done. I apologise that it took so long.

The project registration as well as the imported code are now removed.