Are you the Founder of a rural or tiny coworking space?

Angel Kwiatkowski

Jan 27, 2015, 11:23:33 AM1/27/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Looking to highlight teeny, off the beaten path coworking spaces on Cohere's blog. Who has set up coworking in a town of less than 25,000 or runs a space that is less than 1,000ft2? Ping me by Friday 1/30 at fccoworking at gmail.com

Angel

Tabari Brannon

Jan 28, 2015, 6:59:40 PM1/28/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi there angel,

My town is not rural, but I am planning on launching a pilot coworking space which will be about 500 sq feet to validate the concept in my market. We will have 3 permanent desks and 11 flex desks. I am not sure if I qualify but I will send you an email.  I am interested in the article myself looking forward to reading it!

~ Tabari

graysonbu...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2015, 11:04:54 AM1/29/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hey! I am totaly new to google groups, but interested in this thread. I am a landlord/entrepreneur  in a small rural town in Virginia and have been letting folks use my building on Main Street as a coworking space rather than let it sit empty.  Now I am trying to formalize membership agreements and pricing. Lots of work putting this together!  Interested in reading about others who have succeeded.  I think our small town could benefit from the community a coworking space could promote. --grayson

Linda Mitchell

Jan 30, 2015, 7:44:43 AM1/30/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hello!
I am researching coworking and came upon this site. I have been a freelancer, either full time or part time, since 1998. A graphic designer /art director by trade and artist in the space in between, I am always looking for new ideas in the freelance workplace. I once shared office space with a virtual agency owner and found the benefits to be both financial and social. I applied for a Mission Main Street Grant by Chase Bank to help grow my home-based design business by acquiring a building to offer rentable studio spaces to other designers and artists seeking a work community by like minded people. I did not get a grant but the idea is such that I can't let go of it. I am looking into another place in a VERY small town that is trying to revive itself through their historical society. Historical buildings stand vacant interspersed with antique shops and several small businesses and restaurants. Located about 10 miles from a major urban area, this location would be perfect for those who are working professionals but REALLY don't like working downtown, likely can't afford a space downtown and find value in working away from home. I will try to reach you at your email address. Mine is mitchel...@gmail.com

Alex Ahom

Feb 1, 2015, 9:44:28 AM2/1/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I have a coworking space called Shhared (check it out on social media and our website shhared.co) and it's in Hamburg, Germany. I'm interested in connecting.

Fabrizio Tarará

Feb 2, 2015, 8:47:08 AM2/2/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
If you're still looking Frontal Lobe fits this bill, let me know.

Fabrizio Tarara
Frontal Lobe Coworking

NODO Cowork

Feb 2, 2015, 12:11:33 PM2/2/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone,

We have a small coworking space on the beautifull barrio of Santiago in the center of Mérida Yucatán Mexico. We have only 12 spaces and consider ourselfes a prototipe of a rural coworking space. Take a look at our community in www.nodocowork.com would love to have a hangout with someone of you guys. Here is my email tam...@nodocowork.com

Cheers!!!

David Evans

Feb 3, 2015, 8:44:23 AM2/3/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to hear more about smaller spaces. Our town is 12,000, looking to start a coworking space here and learning lots of great lessons from this list, thank you all.

Dave

Thomas M

Mar 6, 2015, 11:32:09 AM3/6/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I just opened a small coworking space in Brentwood PA ( a suburb of Pittsburgh) Bridge Coworking. Just over 1,000 ft with 10 flex desks, a small conference room and a private office. I am interested in discussing more with anyone doing anything similar.

Thomas

Cynthia Dailey

Mar 8, 2015, 2:18:11 PM3/8/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angel - did the article run yet?

We are @ 1,100 ft2. In a developing village center in the suburbs outside Otlando in Windermere, FL.

Cynthia
ScribbleSpace.CO

David Evans

Mar 9, 2015, 1:57:04 PM3/9/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
We are coworkingplus.net in Brattleboro, Vermont (12,000 people). We're in planning stages at this point, talking with all of the usual three-letter acronym orgs about funding, space, etc. I'm the de facto person running things for now, lots of work ahead but I've done a small coworking space in Boston years ago, getting up to speed on the changes, this group is a fantastic resource that I haven't even begun to tap. You'll be hearing more from me as our plans progress. Happy to talk to anyone at this point about what we're doing, learning about best practices, etc.

Dave Evans
about.me/daveevans

---

Alicia Hurst

Mar 10, 2015, 12:34:37 PM3/10/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angel,

I'm helping to open a small coworking space. Ok, we're not rural, but Fayetteville, NC is not booming. It has a population of over 200,000, but it is a huge military town, the top employers are the U.S. Army, Walmart, Goodyear Tire, the City, and the local hospital and education systems. The independent/self-employed population is just around 2%. But the space will be the first in the region, and it will be small – it's only about 1,300 square feet and we're aiming to only open with about 25 (flexible) seats. We've just begun the process though and are holding a meeting next month to find out if  there's sufficient interest. Our website is fayettevillecoworking.com. So maybe you can talk to us once we're up, or perhaps profile our journey to opening? My email is alicia at fayettevillecoworking dot com if you're still interested!

Alicia

Tabari Brannon

Sep 10, 2015, 5:54:56 PM9/10/15
to Coworking
Hi all

Would love to set up a time to talk in real time. Join the slack group!

Channel #small-city-strategies

Maybe on the regular fourth Friday we can meet to chat?

David Evans

Sep 11, 2015, 11:04:28 AM9/11/15
to Coworking

That link doesn't work.

Dave

M.E. Ralph

Sep 11, 2015, 2:18:50 PM9/11/15
to Coworking
Hi, Angel,
Just saw this come up on the discussion again. I run a 920 sq. foot coworking space in Butte, Montana. I've been told this concept is too progressive for this town of 32,000. My promotion has mostly been educating others on the concept itself. So far, they think it's great but nobody is wanting to commit-not even to a free day of coworking. Any similar stories?

Anakowi Paul

Sep 23, 2015, 10:36:55 AM9/23/15
to Coworking
Hi Angel (and other co-working entrepeneurs)
I've just converted my office in Mullumbimby Australia into a dedicated co-working space – 3 spaces: the "gallery" (6 x 9m) has 4 desks and a long table, a small meeting room, and a carpeted lounge area with sofas, low table and cushions. Mullumbimby village has a population approx. 3500 and is about 15 minutes drive into the hinterland from Byron Bay (a popular east-coast tourist destination). The overall population for this coastal region is about 29000.
At this stage I'm not too sure how successful my operation will be. Byron itself has two co-working enterprises that I know of... and in one instance their customer base is boosted by the organisation's primary business as a start-up incubator (it's also attached to a cafe in a busy light industry zone).
I'm told that "most coworkers are looking for a bustling vibe, a cafe atmosphere" but I'm hoping that there are others (like me) who prefer a quiet focussed work environment... so I'm prepared to wait it out. The building is spacious, light, airy and quiet - you'd think you were in the hills but actually only 3-minutes walk to the town centre. It will appeal to digital creatives in general, and interstate/overseas workers (includes BNB). 40-mins from Gold Coast international airport and 90-mins from the city of Brisbane.

Alex Ahom

Sep 24, 2015, 4:42:03 AM9/24/15
to Coworking
Hi!

I'm the founder of a space that can hold up to 75 people and I think it's important we all share and learn from each other's experiences.

Regards,

Alex

Angel Kwiatkowski

Mar 24, 2016, 3:14:12 PM3/24/16
to Coworking
Hello rural and tiny coworking space owners!

It's that time again--time for me to highlight 5 rural or tiny coworking spaces on my blog.

If your space has fewer than 50 members and less than 1,500 ft2 please email me the following if you have them and I'll give you a gander:
-link to your website
-link to your facebook page
-a quote that answers the following question: what is the secret sauce of your community? What makes you special?
-ONE high rez image of your community in action

fccoworking at gmail dot com

Yay, can't wait to learn all about you!

Angel

James Flynn

Mar 24, 2016, 3:30:10 PM3/24/16
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
What if my “community in action” is me coming in and making coffee before I head out to try and network with people who might benefit from a coworking space?

---

Angel Kwiatkowski

Mar 24, 2016, 4:03:53 PM3/24/16
to Coworking
Sure! Take a selfie of that and let me know where you're at in the process.

anakowi

Mar 24, 2016, 9:30:55 PM3/24/16
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angel,
What a lovely invitation. Thank you!
My place is tiny by comparison to most - will cap at 18. I'm growing extremely slowly - in a small town/village so at the moment we only have 4 permanent members and the day/week guests.

It's Good Friday - everyone's taking a break... Blues Fest etc. so can't grab a quote from any of the crew.

The coworkers were all strangers until we met here. They like it... because it's a bit different. It was an old community hall converted into an artist's residence with studio gallery and now a coworking space with 2 bnb rooms. So it's still set up like a home with comfy lounge-work areas, full functioning kitchen and vege garden plus the large gallery-office area. It's a coworking home-office away from home.
We walk 3-minutes down a quiet dirt laneway into the centre of town... what else. We have a play room with a drum kit, PA and amps, guitars etc. and a punching bag.
image1.JPG
Kerry Gray
::
Dynamic Art &Text
m. 0412 597 107
---

Alex Hillman

Mar 25, 2016, 8:36:21 AM3/25/16
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Kerry - I looooove the coziness of what you've created here.

It reminds me a lot of what we are always trying to create, which is something that is as comfortable (or more comfortable) than the next best option which is usually working at home, in your underwear, for free :)

One suggestion for your website - try re-staging your photos with a couple of your members in them. The photo you posted here with people in view is so much more inviting than a photo of the same space with nobody in it. And bonus, something for you to do with your members!

Keep it cozy - you've got something special :)

-Alex
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group.

------------------
The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.
Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com
Listen to the podcast: http://dangerouslyawesome.com/podcast

Cynthia Dailey

Mar 25, 2016, 8:43:00 AM3/25/16
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I think I'd already shared our info before but our space is 1 year old and is in the village center that is starting to emerge here - surrounded by dense rural apartments, townhomes and single family homes - lots of families so our space gets used for professional uses as well as kid, family and mom events and there's even a farmer's market now on our doorstep as well as vendors setup inside. We are adding a fresh coffee vendor inside at this week's market and also acting as the checkin for the Easter egg hunt the market is putting on for 125 kids!

Our Facebook is full of photos and links to the events and the market - can find it easy searching for ScribbleSpace. :)

We are a shared space in many ways, not just coworking!

--
Cynthia Dailey
ScribbleSpace Shared Offices

FredXchange Community Manager

Mar 25, 2016, 4:55:58 PM3/25/16
to Coworking
Hi, Angel,

My name is Kim Merritt. I am one of the community managers at The Foundry in Fredericksburg, Virginia.

We are located smack dab, at the half way point between Washington D.C. (nation's capital) and Richmond, Virginia (state capital). So, our location is interesting when it comes to access to policy issues. Much of this area commutes to D.C., and we are hoping to draw some of that talent that works for all those federal agencies to either remote work out of our location, or to spark the next great scalable startups that will change industries.

We don't quite meet the specs you were looking for, but I think that this location has it's own sort of appeal. The population of Fredericksburg is roughly 28K and our square footage is 3400 in total, but 1100 or so of that is all used by a local magazine here in town.

Our parent organization, FredXchange, has as one of its main goals, to foster a healthy community and ecosystem of scalable startups in this area, and to add more creative professional options to an area that is currently saturated with retail and commercial jobs, federal contract work, and skilled trades. We hope to broaden the professional options of this area by offering a facility where new companies and startups can begin to get off the ground in their earlier stages of development.

I'm not sure if that is something that is appealing to you, and your purposes for this post, or any mention you might make of other facilities. In any case if you have any questions, please let me know! I'd love to discuss more or connect you with my Executive Director.

Kim Merritt
Community Manager
FredXchange
2324 Plank Road
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
Ph: 540-684-6053  --- check out our new number!  Put us in your contacts!!

FredXchange is fostering an entrepreneurial ecosystem in the Fredericksburg region!  Want to be a part of this excitement?  Contact me for more details or visit the website atwww.FredXchange.org!

Keith Pandeloglou

Mar 26, 2016, 2:50:01 PM3/26/16
to Coworking
So great to have a thread with us smaller spaces! We're going to be just under 2,000 SF in Lakewood Ranch (Bradenton) FL. @Cynthia I loved your space, I visited during my tour of the Orlando locations!

samantha...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2016, 7:06:28 PM3/28/16
to Coworking
Hi Angel,

My name is Samantha and I opened Valley.Works on march 1st in central vermont. My space is about 350 square feet but accommodates up to 9 members at a time with 2 printers and 2 permanent creative work stations. It was a challenge to make the space as productive as it is, the bookcases and couch are on wheels, and the desks can be re arranged into a conference table. We are brand new an membership is low but our small rural community of about 5,000 people is almost 50% telecommuter and has a large community of creative entrepreneurs and working artists, so I am hopeful that the Valley.Works membership will grow! Attached are some pictures, let me know if you have any questions, Id love to hear from you,

Thanks,
Samantha

desks.jpg
couch.jpg
lab.jpg
desk2.jpg

Rimi Chakraborty

Mar 29, 2016, 7:45:03 AM3/29/16
to Coworking
Hi there -

Working with a coworking space in the Azores: www.unoffice.pt.  We're in the middle of the Atlantic ocean but have an incredibly rich and diverse entrepreneurial culture.

I'm working to expand our coworking space internationally, i.e. help people find out we're here! If anyone has any advice, let me know.

Beijinhos,
Rimi

JeanYves

Mar 30, 2016, 4:44:23 AM3/30/16
to Coworking
Hey Rimi

You should attend the Coworking Europe 2016 conference, next fall. Location to be announced soon :-)

Best

JY

Anakowi Paul

Mar 30, 2016, 6:49:11 PM3/30/16
to Coworking
NODO Cowork - your website link didn't work :-(

West End Edc

Apr 13, 2016, 7:11:46 PM4/13/16
to Coworking
We are opening the Collective Mine Coworking Space in Naturita, Colo. in May. The population here is around 1,500.

Samia

Angel Kwiatkowski

May 25, 2016, 10:45:22 PM5/25/16
to Coworking
It took a long time to get to this but I did! I only picked spaces that had easily findable photos of people either on your website or facebook page :) <---there's a lesson there.

samantha sheehan

May 26, 2016, 9:59:28 AM5/26/16
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
thank you angel! And great point about having a strong visual presence online, we preach it to our members everyday!

have an awesome weekend,

samantha

---

Ehmandah R.

May 26, 2016, 6:15:54 PM5/26/16
to Coworking
Great article. Just read this today.

Anakowi Paul

May 26, 2016, 10:08:41 PM5/26/16
to Coworking
Hi Angel,
thanks for including Coworking 101 (Mullumbimby Australia) in your post.
Message has been deleted

lhtorres

Apr 16, 2018, 2:18:06 PM4/16/18
to Coworking
Angel hello! I run a 3300sf coworking space in Montpelier, Vermont -- America's teensiest capital, and a pretty darn small place to boot. I'm carrying out some research related to economic development impact of coworking in rural areas and would love to connect with your research. Could you email me at lhtorres at gmail dot com? Thank you!
Message has been deleted

Liz Trice

Dec 2, 2018, 8:20:07 PM12/2/18
to Coworking
I'm looking to collect best practices in cowering as an economic development tool in rural/ small towns; can anyone recommend spaces to look at as models?
I'm particularly interested if the space has an active partnership with Main Street, economic dev't, or entrepreneurship programs.

Joel Bennett- Veel Hoeden

Dec 2, 2018, 10:01:05 PM12/2/18
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Liz, our coworking space in a town of 10,000 had partnerships with some ED and entrepreneurship programs. Let me know what questions you have.

On Sun, Dec 2, 2018, 7:20 PM Liz Trice <lizt...@gmail.com wrote:
I'm looking to collect best practices in cowering as an economic development tool in rural/ small towns; can anyone recommend spaces to look at as models?
I'm particularly interested if the space has an active partnership with Main Street, economic dev't, or entrepreneurship programs.

Scott Tillitt / BEAHIVE

Dec 3, 2018, 7:58:04 AM12/3/18
to Coworking
I opened my first BEAHIVE in early 2009 in a town of 15,000 and have had (and am planning) several locations in towns of around 25,000. I don't have official, ongoing partnerships with economic development groups, but I have ongoing conversations and events/initiatives with them (and have personally been active with them, as a board member or otherwise). And those folks often show up at our events.

Happy to share any insights.

scott.

Jamie Tyrell

Dec 3, 2018, 10:26:32 AM12/3/18
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I would really be interested in this model.  I am currently doing a feasibility study around this exact email.

Thanks

Jamie

Martshal Kohn

Dec 3, 2018, 11:04:59 AM12/3/18
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Liz:

I hate to troll you, but you might want to add "co-working" and it's varients too your spelling dictionary, especially if you're managing a coworking space.  It will make your life much easier.  (Although the original reading... cowering, it's rather awesome.)

Mjk

On Sun, Dec 2, 2018, 18:20 Liz Trice <lizt...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm looking to collect best practices in cowering as an economic development tool in rural/ small towns; can anyone recommend spaces to look at as models?
I'm particularly interested if the space has an active partnership with Main Street, economic dev't, or entrepreneurship programs.

Wendy

Dec 3, 2018, 12:08:07 PM12/3/18
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Liz,

I opened The Desk & Easel in Denison, TX, a town of just over 24k, in January of this year.  I am located on Main Street and received active support from the Main Street Director as well as the Denison Development Alliance.  I became a member then joined the board of the Downtown Denison Incorporated, DDI, a merchant association.  We try to participate in all the Main Street/Downtown activities to build community with other business owners and the people who live in our area.

I’d be happy to answer any questions you have.

Wendy Acosta

www.deskandeasel.com

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Brad Attig

Dec 3, 2018, 12:08:10 PM12/3/18
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, Bret Carpenter
Liz,

Foundry Collective is a nonprofit whose mission is to create sustainable innovation hubs in small and rural communities. We have Corvallis Foundry, which at 50K population isn't small but we're looking to open in Lebanon, OR, population around 20K and Sweet Home, OR, population around 10K. We also collaborate with IndyCommons, LaunchPad Baker, Ignite La Grande, and Gaucho Collective, all in Oregon and all in small communities.

Happy to share info and I'd love to put together a virtual round table in the Spring about this topic.

In community,

Brad

naseef rahim

Feb 3, 2019, 1:48:21 PM2/3/19
to Coworking
Would like to be a part of discussion. Anyone with rural coworking has a success story to share?