P2P Money Inquiry

Samuel Rose

Mar 24, 2007, 3:49:26 PM3/24/07
to Coworking
At BarCampBank (http://barcampbank.com), we're trying an open research
social media experiment, called an Organized Inquiry
(http://www.communitywiki.org/odd/CollectiveProblemSolving/
OrganizedInquiryHub)
where we query many different online communities about a subject that
is related to their interests (in this case, were asking questions
related to the possible creation of an open source software tool for
money pooling and revenue sharing).

So here are the questions we're asking:

Are you part of a virtual or face to face community, and do you have a
need for pooling
financial resources or sharing revenues? If yes, what solutions are
you currently using for achieving this?

Also:

Do you participate in a project that could use a platform implementing
payment pooling and revenue sharing?

If you are not satisfied with current solutions, what are the key
features that are missing?

this is part of an Organized Inquiry at P2PMoney Organized Inquiry

(http://www.wikiservice.at/fractal/wikidev.cgi?EN/BarCampBank/P2PMoney/
P2PMoneyOrganizedInquiry)

Any and all feedback welcomed. Thank you!

Tara Hunt

Mar 24, 2007, 4:26:19 PM3/24/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam,

When we started the Hat Factory, a tool to help collect a pool of money would have been highly useful. (We are no longer part of it, but here is what happened when we were there:

We had one person designated to collect from everyone. Basically, it was Chris saying, "Rent is Due" and not being very good at enforcing minimums. In the end, everybody contributed different amounts...even though we had previously agreed on an amount. I suppose that a more financially driven person could do a better job of this (no offense to Chris, he's just too 'nice guy' to collect the rent).

Our basic needs were:

1. An account that 'trusted' anchors had access to that gave a general report of money in/money out and who was doing this at the end of each month
2. Public accountability ('read access') for anyone interested as we wanted to let others interested in starting a space what stuff costs
3. Tagging or categorization of costs/income for good track-keeping
4. An ability to create an automated reminder email to those contributing, with the ability to use Paypal or credit card or other online resource
5. Some sort of budgeting assistance (income - expenses = surplus estimated for this period, etc.)

We don't have the same needs with Citizen Space as we bear the ongoing responsibility of costs and charge a flat fee for desk rental (and free for dropins), but we know of other spaces coming up that may need such a tool. I would imagine BarCamps could work this way, as well.

Tara

On 3/24/07, Samuel Rose <samue...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

agent provocateur
Citizen Agency (www.citizenagency.com)
blog: www.horsepigcow.com
phone: 415-694-1951
fax: 415-727-5335

Samuel Rose

Mar 25, 2007, 1:06:37 PM3/25/07
to Coworking
Tara,

Thanks a million! Will check with BarCamp communities, too. We ar
definitely looking at expense tracking and calculation (plus
projecting future expenses). Many people of course seem to echo what
you are saying about automated billing methods (paypal and credit
cards) which is something we were looking at as the core function of
this P2P money application. So that you could plug in each user's
payment method, and the user could authorize up to a certain amount,
andwhen expenses come due, their accounts are charged automatically
and that money is routed to whatever payee you put into the system.

So, this way, Chris could have just set it up to bill people's paypal
or debit card accounts each month, and had the money paid to his
paypal or other merchant account, automatically! This helps even nice
guys administrate money pooling! Unless someone's account returns Non
Sufficient Funds, then he would have to send in "Big Louie", or
whomever, to collect... :)

Samuel Rose

Mar 25, 2007, 1:10:58 PM3/25/07
to Coworking
...Of course, I can also see where some groups will not want auto-
billing set ups. In that case, I think your suggestion of an email
reminder is great. basically, having a control that gives you the
option of auto billing, or email invoicing with manual payments by the
invoicee.

Frederic Baud

Apr 4, 2007, 4:40:34 AM4/4/07
to Coworking
I've just participated to BarCampParis10 which was dedicated to
CoWorking. We spoke about the tools and my understanding is that the
first layer of tools is on the logistics (booking rooms,..) and on
connecting people. My feeling is also that pretty fast, systems like
P2PMoney could help coordinating commercial coworking ventures
(finding co-contractors, renting rooms, paying for ancillary
equipments, sharing revenue,..). I believe that what we are trying to
do at BarCampBank with P2PMoney could quickly become an interesting
enabler for certain projects.

Frederic Baud

Apr 14, 2007, 3:56:52 AM4/14/07
to Coworking
As an FYI, we will be having a BarCampBankFlashMeeting (a visio-
conference of the BarCampBank using the flashmeeting technology), on
Tuesday May 15, 2007, where Sam will present the results of the
Organized Inquiry that was conducted over the needs and use for a
P2PMoney platform.

If you are interested in participating to the discussion, please
register on

http://barcamp.org/BarCampBankFlashMeeting7

and come join the discussion on what we should next and how to
organize this open project.