Free Coworking catches on in California

Felix Schürholz

Apr 2, 2012, 3:35:39 PM4/2/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Looking at the recent entries in the “Free Coworking Directory” it is apparent that from the last 7 entries 6 come from the USA, and of those, 5 from California. It remains to be seen whether this is a coincidence or the start of a stable trend. With now 3 free coworking offers in Los Angeles with Droplabs (Free Basic Use), kleverdog coworking (every other Friday) and Indie Desk (every 2nd Monday of the month) we have a first free coworking capital in California. I hope other cities will follow this wonderful example and collaborative endeavour.

If you want to know more about free coworking please refer to our resource page.

Message has been deleted

Felix Schürholz

Apr 3, 2012, 5:24:09 AM4/3/12
to Coworking
Hi Adrienne, please send me Alex´s email or tell me where I can find
it, so that I can answer him and you fully. Greetings, Felix

On 2 Apr., 21:50, Adrienne Normand <arnorm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I really enjoyed Alex's email yesterday about the case against Free
> Coworking.  If coworking is of value to you, why wouldn't you pay for it?
> It obviously has a cost, why would you not reciprocate the owner/providor
> for making coworking available?
> Adrienne
>
> 2012/4/2 Felix Schürholz <calen...@coworking-news.de>
>

> > Looking at the recent entries in the “Free Coworking Directory<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsBt-syY2tDCdDhjbl8wemh2...>”
> > page <http://www.coworking-news.de/free-coworking-resources/>.

rachel young

Apr 3, 2012, 8:17:02 AM4/3/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Felix,

I'd love to read your reply as well. Maybe answer here for the group to read?
r.

Message has been deleted

Alex Hillman

Apr 3, 2012, 9:07:37 AM4/3/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
A bit of context, from my side:

I don't have anything against free Coworking. Coworking is an activity that doesn't require a specific place to do it. You can't own it, or sell it. All you can do is build a business around providing a great experience to do it.

Indy Hall and many of the best Coworking spaces in the world started as communities of "free Coworking" through jellies.

However of you're in the business of providing a Coworking experience, there's a careful line to walk and making sure that there's a difference between the free experience and the paid experience is the point of the post I wrote back in 2010 (and still stick by).

I also think that the existence of free Coworking is important to force Coworking space businesses to really differentiate their offering and be special. That's a good thing for everyone.

-Alex

--
/ah
indyhall.org

Alex Hillman

Apr 3, 2012, 6:27:53 PM4/3/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Found this great interview that Beth did with Felix on Shareable today, I think it does a MUCH better job of explaining what he's thinking than he has here ;)

Hold on to your butts, because the rest of this post might ruffle some feathers.

As I mention in the comments, I totally agree with his core point: MANY paid coworking spaces aren't differentiating themselves from business centers and aren't keeping in line with the coworking core values. Social capital is often missing from the exchange between the provider and the member. Any community or collaboration is the result of proximity, but little more.

But this isn't about free vs. paid, this is about refocusing on the coworking core values and building whatever we do, free or paid, with them in mind.

I can think of examples of the core values interpreted well, and poorly (or not at all), in both courts, free and paid. "Coworking" has reached a wider audience than the people who know and understand the core values, so this is an expected side-effect that we all still need a way to navigate.

I've also had conversations with many business center providers who acknowledge that a lot of their customers actively DO NOT WANT the kinds of effects that coworking spaces excel at. They value privacy, exclusivity, or other things above the things that we value. That's not wrong, it's different. One of the things that's increasingly clear to me is that coworking is much more successful when it's about providing choices than when it's about forcing a new paradigm of any kind.

Personally, I'd rather not focus on people who aren't living the core values because it's not a productive way to lead. Instead, I can focus on what we do to uphold them.

Indy Hall's business is strong and growing (again), not in spite of the core values, but BECAUSE of the core values. ESPECIALLY in times of growth, we turn to the core values to make sure we're making the right decisions by our members, and creating a unique experience that they love. I've even been pushing past the usual structure of community, openness, sustainability, collaboration, and accessibility and into a more actionable model, which I've started writing about as we develop it for ourselves.

Personally, I like Felix's sentiment a lot, lest it becomes confused with "free" vs. "paid". I understand his position, though I personally would love to have him more strongly behind the coworking core values regardless of paid vs. free. Everyone would benefit from this part of his discussion.

-Alex

> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.

Felix Schürholz

Apr 4, 2012, 10:39:57 AM4/4/12
to Coworking
Hi Adrienne,

the arguments that Alex presents in his post are completely plausible
and based on his and other people´s experiences (including my own)
valid. The free coworking, as an incentive for people to enter a
coworking space, that Alex describes, is a different free coworking
though, than the free coworking I am talking about. The big difference
is the aspect of working by yourself or working with others.

The free coworking I am talking about, is by definition a coworking
with others on a common project. Why is that important? Because the
free coworking I am talking about is about the social capital of
coworkers in a coworking space. Only when the coworkers interact, work
on common projects and bring their different resources and expertise
to bear will the social capital be activated.

That is why a free coworking offer where people work by themselves
will not work. It is not attractive and not sustainable. If you look
at the seats2meet free coworking model you can see that offering a
free seat is not enough. Seats2meet for example offers a free meal and
tea as well. On top of that do they provide a physical- and IT-
infrastructure which encourages interaction and common projects. That
is one way how the social capital is activated and free coworking
works.

Another example is the Gangplank example where people like to give
„to give“ rather than give „to take“ i.e. people freely give more
than they take. That is also an aspect of free coworking and another
way to activate the social capital.

I am sure there are many more ways to activate social capital to
attract the financial capital necessary to run a coworking space.
Please join the development: http://www.coworking-news.de/free-coworking-resources/
and share your ideas.

More on aspects of free coworking please see the article on
shareable.net "a case for free coworking" that Alex mentioned below.

Greetings, Felix

On 3 Apr., 15:00, Adrienne Normand <arnorm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://dangerouslyawesome.com/2010/06/a-case-against-free-trial-cowor...
>
> Adrienne
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Apr 3, 2012, at 7:17 AM, rachel young <rac...@camaraderie.ca> wrote:
>

> > Felix,
>
> > I'd love to read your reply as well. Maybe answer here for the group to read?
> > r.

Felix Schürholz

Apr 4, 2012, 10:51:41 AM4/4/12
to Coworking
Hi Alex, I am very happy that you make that point about the coworking
core values!!!

Yes it is about the coworking core values and how we can best put them
into practice. I believe that free coworking provides an excellent way
to develop each one of those values: collaboration, openness,
community, accessibility, and sustainability!

In order not to repeat my comment on shareable.net I like to refer to
the wonderful article Beth wrote and your comment below:
http://www.shareable.net/blog/felix-sch%C3%BCrholz-makes-the-case-for-free-coworking

Greetings and a huge thank you for the work you do for this group!!!
Felix