coworking.com: the next generation

Alex Hillman

Feb 18, 2010, 7:29:19 PM2/18/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Over the last several hours, I've finalized the transactions with Bernie and Gerrit, transferred the domain, configured the DNS, and set up a simple static homepage to display the community core values and point them to the three communal resources that we have, just like intended by the proposal sent out earlier this week.

The new coworking.com points to the google group, the wiki, and the blog. It defines some explicit activities that people can do at each of those places to get involved.

It does not attempt to define coworking any more than is already defined on the landing page of the google group. It does not express any commercial or even organizational intent. It just says "we're here, and we're not going anywhere". I think this stake in the ground is extremely representative and lets us go ANY direction we want.

The design is the product of...well...an hour of my time put in to copywriting and CSS. I'd be just as happy to throw it away if something else came along and the group suggests that, so long as the general concept stays clear.

I'd also be willing to take design/copy tips/tweaks to heart. You can't hurt my feelings too bad, I'm not a designer and I know it :)

There are still a number of other matters to sort out that have come up since we started down this fun journey this week, and they can be dealt with one at a time.

I'll be following up with all of the contributors, as well as the list, to discuss the next steps in managing the remaining funds.

I'd really like the next discussion on this list to help find a more sustainable mechanism for allowing people to contribute to the website fund without raising money that we simply don't need. Right now the fund raise is spread out over ~20 people. That de-risked the initial purchase, and let this happen at all. In the next phase, I think the objective should be to spread the fund wider and, as Chris Messina said, put the focus on individual supporters instead of business supporters, giving everyone more equal access to the resources that come with having the domain.

Let's brainstorm!

I also want to publicly thank Bernie and Gerrit for being so awesome during the transaction. They asked me to share this retrospective they posted last night on the last 10 years with the domain. http://www.smartmobs.com/2010/02/17/coworking-past-and-future/

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

TCS

Feb 18, 2010, 7:55:09 PM2/18/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
We're a Drupal studio.  If planned well the site can be both aesthetically pleasing and self sustained.  (Drupal is the # 1 opensourse CMS)  We're willing to help develop the site if y'all wanna do the leg work on Information Architecture, finalize a content outline and navigation schematic, name the taxonomy terms and design.  ;o)  We can do design as well, but thought that could be another studio if they want to help. Don't know if there's funds available to offer to help build, but we're willing to do whatever for the cause of coworking!

Chad

The Creative Space - Canada

Chad Ballantyne
Creative Director

ü Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Tara Hunt

Feb 18, 2010, 7:59:37 PM2/18/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I think it's great for now (reminds me of an early FLOCK page, hmmmm?)! And THANK YOU Alex for doing this! You rawk!

p.s. I hope we can revisit Coworkination mockups in the future (please please please?): http://www.flickr.com/photos/missrogue/sets/72157600017335084/

tara 'missrogue' hunt

Book: The Whuffie Factor (http://www.thewhuffiefactor.com)
Blog: HorsePigCow: Marketing Uncommon (http://horsepigcow.com)
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/missrogue
phone: 514-679-2951

Alex Hillman

Feb 18, 2010, 7:59:55 PM2/18/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Without having even having a clear vision of what the website can/should do, I have a hard time picking ANY platform. We've also had offers from Apostrophe (http://apostrophenow.com) to host and manage the content.

Either which way, your offer is generous, but picking platforms now would be premature given there isn't a clear path for the functionality of the site, if any, beyond the landing page pointing to the pre-existing properties.

Let's keep ideas high level for now, and define benefits instead of features!

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

tcs-sign-1.png

Alex Hillman

Feb 18, 2010, 8:02:42 PM2/18/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
You have any screencaps of the early flock pages? I swear this just came out of my head! :)

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

TCS

Feb 18, 2010, 8:10:26 PM2/18/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Cool.  Apostrophe can host and manage fer sure!

<tcs-sign-1.png>

Chad Ballantyne
Creative Director

ü Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Tara Hunt

Feb 18, 2010, 8:17:54 PM2/18/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure it did! I can't find it. I'm sure Messina has a few kicking around.

Avesta

Feb 18, 2010, 8:21:41 PM2/18/10
to Coworking
You did an awesome job handling all of this Alex, and the page looks
great!

Avesta and Cameron
Founders
CoLoft
Coloft.com

On Feb 18, 5:17 pm, Tara Hunt <horsepig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sure it did! I can't find it. I'm sure Messina has a few kicking around.
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Alex Hillman

> <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > You have any screencaps of the early flock pages? I swear this just came
> > out of my head! :)
>
> > /ah
> > indyhall.org
> > coworking in philadelphia

> >> --
> >> tara 'missrogue' hunt
>
> >> Book: The Whuffie Factor (http://www.thewhuffiefactor.com)
> >> Blog: HorsePigCow: Marketing Uncommon (http://horsepigcow.com)
> >> Twitter:http://www.twitter.com/missrogue
> >> phone: 514-679-2951
>
> >> --

> >> coworking+...@googlegroups.com<coworking%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.
>
> >  --

> > coworking+...@googlegroups.com<coworking%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Alex Hillman

Feb 18, 2010, 9:46:03 PM2/18/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
One more fun, kinda geeky idea I had:

I've now posted the very first iteration of the website to github for anybody to fork and contribute back to. Bug fixes, UI ideas, copywriting...whatever you like. You can submit a pull request to me and we can use true open source to evolve the website.

For those who don't now what Git or Github is, I apologize for the last 4 sentences of what must have appeared to be Klingon to you.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

j. p. sweeney

Feb 18, 2010, 9:48:34 PM2/18/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Alex-

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.

J.P.

Alex Hillman

Feb 18, 2010, 9:49:41 PM2/18/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
That was awesome.

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Mike Schinkel

Feb 19, 2010, 12:48:10 AM2/19/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
We're a Drupal studio.  If planned well the site can be both aesthetically pleasing and self sustained.  (Drupal is the # 1 opensourse CMS)

Sorry to hijack the thread but only for a bit; I just can't let that assertion stand unchallenged! :-) Drupal is not the #1 opensource CMS, WordPress is! It's got far more users than Drupal!  ;-)

Anyway, I'm a former Drupal guy who after 2 years finally realized how much pain Drupal was causing me and switched to WordPress, never been happier! :)

-Mike Schinkel
Ignition Alley Atlanta Coworking
http://ignitionalley.com

p.s. OTOH, my partner in Ignition Alley is a Drupal guy so there you go!

<tcs-sign-1.png>

Chad Ballantyne
Creative Director

ü Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Patrick

Feb 19, 2010, 9:17:49 AM2/19/10
to Coworking
> Anyway, I'm a former Drupal guy who after 2 years finally realized how much pain Drupal was causing me and switched to WordPress

Wordpress is a blog platform that can be used as a CMS, not an actual
CMS ;)

Just teasing.

Thanks Alex for stepping up and putting all that time in, teh awesome
once again.

Patrick

TCS

Feb 19, 2010, 9:25:47 AM2/19/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
We realize there's more users - I wasn't counting users, rather considering the overall expandability and multifunctional use of a website tool.  It's not the easiest to use as a developer, but once you get it, it is robust!  Just thinking if you want to create a community environment and build on a more robust tool, Drupal's great.  We love Wordpress too!  Either way, we'll help.

Chad

Alex Hillman

Feb 19, 2010, 9:33:26 AM2/19/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to snapshot my memories of this last week as I remembered it, and share it.

I wrote this last night. As I said on Twitter, I'm sure I left out something Juicy, but:

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

tcs-sign-1.png

Mike Schinkel

Feb 19, 2010, 10:25:50 AM2/19/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 19, 2010, at 9:17 AM, Patrick wrote:
Wordpress is a blog platform that can be used as a CMS, not an actual
CMS ;)

Just teasing.

Yes mine was some as light hearted teasing as well. Glad you took it as as such. :)

Still, "many a truth said in jest" as they say. I really have seen people have a lot more difficulty getting Drupal projects completed vs. WordPress projects and then training users to understand Drupal is yet another complication where it's pretty easy for users to get WordPress.  As way to explain and a rule of thumb I tell prospective users that the minimum WordPress project cost they'd pay a local consultant for a professional design and a bit of custom functionality developed in PHP and/or jQuery is about $2500 vs. the minimum Drupal is around $10k.  Drupal typically makes the first 85% easy but the last 15% can be very difficult (and hence time consuming/expensive.)

FWIW a year ago WordPress didn't have the feature set needed in core+plugins but does now.  A partner and I are actually launching a conference in Atlanta called "The Business of WordPress" to highlight how to use it for local businesses in part because I want them to see how effective it is now.

Jacob Patton

Feb 19, 2010, 10:26:07 AM2/19/10
to Coworking
This is all massively -- dare I say, "dangerously" -- awesome. Rock
on, Alex, for wrangling the domain purchase.

I long, long time ago, I had a minor hand in the Coworkination code,
and I still have it kicking around here somewhere. If I may provide
dev help in resurrecting a Rails-based community component of the
site, I'd love to do it.

well done, all.

-Jacob

On Feb 19, 9:33 am, Alex Hillman <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wanted to snapshot my memories of this last week as I remembered it, and
> share it.
>
> I wrote this last night. As I said on Twitter, I'm sure I left out something
> Juicy, but:
>

> http://www.dangerouslyawesome.com/2010/02/18/coworking-com-the-next-g...
>
> <http://www.dangerouslyawesome.com/2010/02/18/coworking-com-the-next-g...>

> -Alex
>
> /ah
> indyhall.org
> coworking in philadelphia
>

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:25 AM, TCS <c...@thecreativespace.ca> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > We realize there's more users - I wasn't counting users, rather considering
> > the overall expandability and multifunctional use of a website tool.  It's
> > not the easiest to use as a developer, but once you get it, it is robust!
> >  Just thinking if you want to create a community environment and build on a
> > more robust tool, Drupal's great.  We love Wordpress too!  Either way, we'll
> > help.
>
> > Chad
>
> > On 2010-02-19, at 12:48 AM, Mike Schinkel wrote:
>
> > We're a Drupal studio.  If planned well the site can be both aesthetically
> > pleasing and self sustained.  (Drupal is the # 1 opensourse CMS)
>

> > Sorry to hijack the thread *but only for a bit;* I just can't let that

> > *I'd really like the next discussion on this list* to help find a more

> > *
>
> > *

> > Chad Ballantyne
> > Creative Director
> >www.thecreativespace.ca
> > 705.252.2423
>
> > ü Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>
> > --
>
> > --
>

> >  *
>
> > *

> > Chad Ballantyne
> > Creative Director
> >www.thecreativespace.ca
> > 705.252.2423
>
> > ü Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>
> >  --

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.
>

>  tcs-sign-1.png

> 25KViewDownload

TCS

Feb 19, 2010, 10:48:13 AM2/19/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Yep.  Both platforms have come a long way.  We are impressed with each and try to fit the framework with the clint needs.  Thus far for CMS we're about 80/20 between Drupal instals and WP.  http://www.symfony-project.org/ looks good too.
peace,
Chad

Tony Bacigalupo

Feb 19, 2010, 11:08:30 AM2/19/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Alex, thanks for rocking this and documenting it as you go. This is a good start and I look forward to this evolving in a healthy way.

Let's move the discussion on w/Drupal vs WP vs Emacs vs Yahoo Store vs Zombo.com off-list, yes?
tcs-sign-1.png

Alex Hillman

Feb 19, 2010, 11:16:01 AM2/19/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
HAHA you said Zombo.

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

tcs-sign-1.png

TCS

Tim Dorr

Feb 19, 2010, 10:43:25 AM2/19/10
to Coworking
On Feb 19, 12:48 am, Mike Schinkel <mikeschin...@newclarity.net>
wrote:

> p.s. OTOH, my partner in Ignition Alley is a Drupal guy so there you go!

Said Drupal-loving partner here :)

I'm the guy that too www.ignitionalley.com from PSD to HTML to Drupal
to custom-built members area with Freshbooks and PayPal integration. I
know Wordpress pretty well too and am really platform-agnostic. I'm
glad to lend my talents wherever needed.

I'm actually in the process of selling one of my companies (final
paperwork went out today!), so I'll have a glut of free time to be
able to help in the coming weeks :) I also have a design company that
I'll be focusing on, so I have a whole group of guys to fall back on
as needed.

Let's build something awesome!

-Tim

Alex Hillman

Mike Pihlman

Feb 19, 2010, 1:03:07 PM2/19/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
My thanks to Alex as well....what a great group you all are. Soooo glad
I am part of this...

The web site will help me greatly as I now have a way to show people in
Tracy, CA that coworking is not just in my imagination, but, something
that is worldwide, supported, and real.

Moving forward, although I try to explain Coworking on my pages, a video
or several videos (along with text for those of us who still read) on
the central site would be awesome.

Thanks again...as soon as I can contribute...I will.

Mike

On 2/18/2010 4:59 PM, Tara Hunt wrote:
> [...]

> list, to discuss the next steps in managing the remaining funds.
>

> *I'd really like the next discussion on this list* to help find a

> more sustainable mechanism for allowing people to contribute to
> the website fund without raising money that we simply don't need.
> Right now the fund raise is spread out over ~20 people. That
> de-risked the initial purchase, and let this happen at all. In the
> next phase, I think the objective should be to spread the fund
> wider and, as Chris Messina said, put the focus on individual
> supporters instead of business supporters, giving everyone more
> equal access to the resources that come with having the domain.
>
> Let's brainstorm!
>
> I also want to publicly thank Bernie and Gerrit for being so
> awesome during the transaction. They asked me to share this
> retrospective they posted last night on the last 10 years with the

Mike Pihlman
TracyVirtualOffice
"A Coworking Community"
95 W. 11th Street, Suite 203
Tracy, CA 95376
Mobile: 209-608-4340
Web: TracyVirtualOffice.com
Twitter: @TracyVirtOffice
Skype: tracyvirtualoffice1

resourcesuites

Feb 20, 2010, 1:18:37 PM2/20/10
to Coworking
i would like to suggest Coworking: the NEW generation. let's cross
over the bar, not compete to raise it.

> *I'd really like the next discussion on this list* to help find a more

> sustainable mechanism for allowing people to contribute to the website fund
> without raising money that we simply don't need. Right now the fund raise is
> spread out over ~20 people. That de-risked the initial purchase, and let
> this happen at all. In the next phase, I think the objective should be to
> spread the fund wider and, as Chris Messina said, put the focus on
> individual supporters instead of business supporters, giving everyone more
> equal access to the resources that come with having the domain.
>
> Let's brainstorm!
>
> I also want to publicly thank Bernie and Gerrit for being so awesome during
> the transaction. They asked me to share this retrospective they posted last

> night on the last 10 years with the domain.http://www.smartmobs.com/2010/02/17/coworking-past-and-future/

Alex Hillman

Feb 20, 2010, 1:45:08 PM2/20/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Somebody just as picky as I am about words. I can respect that :)

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

WHERE MMM

Feb 20, 2010, 1:48:02 PM2/20/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
good comment.!

Danielle Nicoli
WHERE to cowork in Los Angeles

WHERE MMM

Feb 20, 2010, 1:48:59 PM2/20/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Tara Hunt

Feb 20, 2010, 2:03:52 PM2/20/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
How about Coworking: the same generation, but better! ;P

TCS

Feb 20, 2010, 2:06:05 PM2/20/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Coworking:Deep Space Nine

Alex Hillman

Feb 20, 2010, 2:12:35 PM2/20/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
That's the 3rd Star Trek reference in just this thread.

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

tcs-sign-1.png

Steven Heath

Feb 20, 2010, 2:49:25 PM2/20/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
On 21 February 2010 07:18, resourcesuites <dan...@resourcesuites.com> wrote:
> i would like to suggest Coworking: the NEW generation.  let's cross
> over the bar, not compete to raise it.

Bring on Pepsi as sponsor?

--
Steven Heath
Director, Foxbane Consulting

AltSpace.co.nz - Shared office space in Wellington for home based
workers, freelancers, or nimble companies

WHERE MMM

Feb 20, 2010, 2:55:57 PM2/20/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
nice idea... they are looking at various forms of media outreach... we are the NEW generation.

resourcesuites

Feb 21, 2010, 5:43:58 AM2/21/10
to Coworking
it also refers to the users of our spaces, and the are the new
generation of entrepreneurs. They span from millenials to baby
boomers who are entering entrepreneurship.

On Feb 20, 9:12 am, Alex Hillman <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's the 3rd Star Trek reference in just this thread.
>
> /ah
> indyhall.org

> coworking in philadelphiaOn Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 2:06 PM, TCS <c...@thecreativespace.ca> wrote:
> > Coworking:Deep Space Nine
>
> > On 2010-02-20, at 2:03 PM, Tara Hunt wrote:
>
> > How about Coworking: the same generation, but better! ;P

> >> --

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > tara 'missrogue' hunt
>
> > Book: The Whuffie Factor (http://www.thewhuffiefactor.com)
> > Blog: HorsePigCow: Marketing Uncommon (http://horsepigcow.com)
> > Twitter:http://www.twitter.com/missrogue
> > phone: 514-679-2951
>
> > --
>

> >  *
>
> > *

> > Chad Ballantyne
> > Creative Director
> >www.thecreativespace.ca
> > 705.252.2423
>
> > ü Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>
> >  --

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.
>

>  tcs-sign-1.png
> 25KViewDownload

Paul Robinson

Feb 21, 2010, 8:41:40 AM2/21/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
On 19 Feb 2010, at 00:29, Alex Hillman wrote:

The new coworking.com points to the google group, the wiki, and the blog. It defines some explicit activities that people can do at each of those places to get involved.

Alex, I think that's a great set up.

I'm not actually sure at this time it needs anything else doing to it. It points to resources, explains what we do, it's simple, to the point, it's great.

I think this stake in the ground is extremely representative and lets us go ANY direction we want.

Now, here's the thing: all of us have different takes on what coworking is. Some people see it through the lens of reclaiming derelict spaces, others (like myself) as an opportunity for collaboration and independent growth, others see it just as a way for freelancers to get access to cheap infrastructure, and some even see it as a way of being able to lease out property they own without much maintenance!

I don't think there is a consistent direction, and that's a good thing: there is no consortium in charge, we're all making our own minds up.

I think coworking.com should reflect that. :-)

The design is the product of...well...an hour of my time put in to copywriting and CSS. I'd be just as happy to throw it away if something else came along and the group suggests that, so long as the general concept stays clear.

The change in background colour AND text weight is confusing - they look like cues to links. Other than that, it's OK.

--
Paul Robinson

Vagueware Limited is registered in England/Wales, number 05700421
Registered Office: 3 Tivoli Place, Ilkley, W. Yorkshire, LS29 8SU
Correspondence: 13 Crossland Road, Manchester, M21 9DU

dr.ron

Feb 20, 2010, 8:21:24 PM2/20/10
to Coworking
Who is interested in copartying and connecting it with coworking?

I am a member of New Work City (in NYC) and spent many years in Ann
Arbor, so I am friends with the co-workers at workantileexchange.com.
Back in the 1980's I was also part of "small systems group" an early
coworking experiment that emerged from the local MacTechnics users
group.

After I recently provided DJ/VJ services for a KeenKong launch party
at New Work City, I decided to register copartying.com. I'd like to
see it end up containing information about cooperating to be "really"
social (i.e. in person, not just virtually social).

From 2002 to 2005, I ran a monthly networking party in Ann Arbor
called "Network Downtown," usually in the offices of some tech start-
up. I was the web master, host, head chef, bartender and DJ/VJ. People
really took the the work spaces and galleries, that we used for our
parties, as an alternative to the bar scene. And it what continues to
be a down economy, many of us in start-up companies do not have a lot
of money to spend in bars and restaurants for our social events.

From the cost effective use of making a space multi-purpose to the
notion of taking control of our social space the way coworking is
taking control of our work space, I'm interested in what others think
about this.

- dr.ron

On Feb 20, 2:55 pm, WHERE MMM <where...@gmail.com> wrote:
> nice idea... they are looking at various forms of media outreach... we are
> the NEW generation.
>
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Steven Heath <she...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 21 February 2010 07:18, resourcesuites <dan...@resourcesuites.com>
> > wrote:
> > > i would like to suggest Coworking: the NEW generation.  let's cross
> > > over the bar, not compete to raise it.
>
> > Bring on Pepsi as sponsor?
>
> > --
> > Steven Heath
> > Director, Foxbane Consulting
> > Founder, AltSpace
> > Cell: +64 21 706-067
> >www.foxbane.co.nz
> > Level 22
> > Plimmer Towers
> > 2 Gilmer Terrace
> > Wellington
>

> > AltSpace.co.nz <http://altspace.co.nz/> - Shared office space in

> > Wellington for home based
> > workers, freelancers, or nimble companies
>
> > --

> > coworking+...@googlegroups.com<coworking%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Devin

Feb 21, 2010, 3:42:49 PM2/21/10
to Coworking
Alex: my company beex.org is a challenge and project-based fundraising
platform. People use it to say what they'll do if a certain amount of
money if raised for the nonprofit of their choice. For example, you
could use it to say something like 'We will purchase coworking.com if
$6000 is raised for (nonprofit org)." The system allows anyone with a
paypal address to receive funds but so far we've only let nonprofits
register.

I LOVE coworking and am starting a cafe/coworking space with some
friends in Brooklyn this spring so we'd be honored if our tools could
power this community's fundraising efforts. Everything is free: no
startup charges, no transaction fees. We're getting sponsors to pay
for everything. :)

We have two options to adapt BEEx to the needs of this community:
1. We can get a nonprofit to fiscally sponsor our projects. This
would make all donations to these projects tax-deductible because the
money would flow through a nonprofit whose mission is aligned with the
coworking movement. I know a number of organizations who would be
interested in fiscally sponsoring these projects. With just a little
coordination we could be collecting tax-deductible donations by the
end of the week.
2. We could also create a custom solution for coworking that alerts
users that their donations aren't tax deductible but I'd much prefer
to do option 1.

Let's discuss more off list.

Folks: If you guys have favorite nonprofits please email me their
names and my genuinely charming partner will reach out to them after
our next site update (javascript registration and improved
formatting!) this week.

Exciting stuff.

On Feb 19, 11:32 am, Alex Hillman <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'll reiterate the next steps I'd like to tackle:
>

> *I'd really like the next discussion on this list* to help find a more

> sustainable mechanism for allowing people to contribute to the website fund
> without raising money that we simply don't need. Right now the fund raise is
> spread out over ~20 people. That de-risked the initial purchase, and let
> this happen at all. In the next phase, I think the objective should be to
> spread the fund wider and, as Chris Messina said, put the focus on
> individual supporters instead of business supporters, giving everyone more
> equal access to the resources that come with having the domain.
>
> /ah
> indyhall.org
> coworking in philadelphia
>

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:23 AM, TCS <c...@thecreativespace.ca> wrote:
> > yes - all done!  What's next on coworking.com?
>
> > On 2010-02-19, at 11:08 AM, Tony Bacigalupo wrote:
>
> > Alex, thanks for rocking this and documenting it as you go. This is a good
> > start and I look forward to this evolving in a healthy way.
>
> > Let's move the discussion on w/Drupal vs WP vs Emacs vs Yahoo Store vs
> > Zombo.com off-list, yes?
>

> > On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:48 AM, TCS <c...@thecreativespace.ca> wrote:
>
> >> Yep.  Both platforms have come a long way.  We are impressed with each and
> >> try to fit the framework with the clint needs.  Thus far for CMS we're about

> >> 80/20 between Drupal instals and WP.  http://www.symfony-project.org/looksgood too.

> >> *
>
> >> *

> >> Chad Ballantyne
> >> Creative Director
> >>www.thecreativespace.ca
> >> 705.252.2423
>
> >> ü Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>
> >> --

> >> coworking+...@googlegroups.com<coworking%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.
>
> > --
>

> >  *
>
> > *

> > Chad Ballantyne
> > Creative Director
> >www.thecreativespace.ca
> > 705.252.2423
>
> > ü Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>
> >  --

> > coworking+...@googlegroups.com<coworking%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.
>

>  tcs-sign-1.png

> 25KViewDownload

Alex Hillman

Feb 21, 2010, 3:47:25 PM2/21/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Devin,

This is very, very cool. We've been looking for something like this regionally for event fundraising.

I'll be in touch off-list.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Andrius Kulikauskas

Feb 22, 2010, 12:54:09 AM2/22/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations on setting up http://coworking.com

I noted this: All material is suggested to be shared under Creative
Commons Share-Alike Attribution license, unless specifically cited by
the author.

The Share Alike license is a very regressive license and is very
disruptive for Public Domain content. It insists that any work that it
gets included in must also be Share Alike. For example, I have made
great efforts to organize my Minciu Sodas laboratory's venues in the
Public Domain. If somebody sends a letter using the Share Alike
license, or includes an excerpt using the Share Alike license -
including anything from coworking.com - then by the terms of the
license, we would have to delete it, or our entire archive would leave
the Public Domain.

Please think about what the license says. And then choose to use
another license!

Co-working is about sharing. Share alike is not. It's an unfortunate fad.

Andrius

Andrius Kulikauskas
Minciu Sodas
http://www.ms.lt
m...@ms.lt

Alex Hillman

Feb 22, 2010, 9:06:18 AM2/22/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Interesting! What license would you suggest is a better culture/ethose fit?

-Alex

Ryan Price

Feb 22, 2010, 9:48:42 AM2/22/10
to Coworking
Is it wrong to create *an* entity, not *the* entity, that can take
some action? Many open source projects have similar support to help
them pay for web servers and the like. I'm sure this idea has even
been mentioned earlier in the week. I guess that some people might see
the new thing as the lightning rod - which could be good or bad.

Then, once there are some processes (e.g. how do I get a password)
they can be documented and things can be very distributed and self-
starting, except for those few times when we need to renew a domain
name or whatever. For a year or two, maybe we just ask someone to take
point (Alex is that person today), but make sure that a few people are
able to pull the trigger. If there are gatekeepers, they should be
able to anoint other gatekeepers.

We were borrowing a domain name from someone locally (for a user
group) here and he let it lapse, so for a week we were trying to call
that guy and begging him to renew. I'd hate to see that happen on a
global level.

Peace,
Ryan Price
rpr...@ryanpricemedia.com
@liberatr
407-484-8528

FloridaCreatives.com
Orlando Happy Hour: Mar 15th @ Crooked Bayou
Next Likemind: Mar 19th @ UrbanThink!

wrote:

> I'll reiterate the next steps I'd like to tackle:
>

> *I'd really like the next discussion on this list* to help find a more

> sustainable mechanism for allowing people to contribute to the website fund
> without raising money that we simply don't need. Right now the fund raise is
> spread out over ~20 people. That de-risked the initial purchase, and let
> this happen at all. In the next phase, I think the objective should be to
> spread the fund wider and, as Chris Messina said, put the focus on
> individual supporters instead of business supporters, giving everyone more
> equal access to the resources that come with having the domain.
>
> /ah
> indyhall.org
> coworking in philadelphia
>

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:23 AM, TCS <c...@thecreativespace.ca> wrote:
> > yes - all done!  What's next on coworking.com?
>
> > On 2010-02-19, at 11:08 AM, Tony Bacigalupo wrote:
>
> > Alex, thanks for rocking this and documenting it as you go. This is a good
> > start and I look forward to this evolving in a healthy way.
>
> > Let's move the discussion on w/Drupal vs WP vs Emacs vs Yahoo Store vs
> > Zombo.com off-list, yes?
>

> > On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:48 AM, TCS <c...@thecreativespace.ca> wrote:
>
> >> Yep.  Both platforms have come a long way.  We are impressed with each and
> >> try to fit the framework with the clint needs.  Thus far for CMS we're about

> >> 80/20 between Drupal instals and WP.  http://www.symfony-project.org/looksgood too.

> >> *
>
> >> *

> >> Chad Ballantyne
> >> Creative Director
> >>www.thecreativespace.ca
> >> 705.252.2423
>
> >> ü Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>
> >> --

> >> coworking+...@googlegroups.com<coworking%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.
>
> > --
>

> >  *
>
> > *

> > Chad Ballantyne
> > Creative Director
> >www.thecreativespace.ca
> > 705.252.2423
>
> > ü Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>
> >  --

> > coworking+...@googlegroups.com<coworking%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.
>

>  tcs-sign-1.png

> 25KViewDownload

todd@c4workspace

Feb 24, 2010, 10:44:02 AM2/24/10
to Coworking
Sorry, getting to this late. Catching up.

The Wrath of Khoworking.

I'm done. Carry on.

Todd
C4 Workspace

Andrius Kulikauskas

Mar 6, 2010, 11:58:37 AM3/6/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Alex,
I recommend "Public Domain except as noted".
This means that content added will be understood as in the Public Domain
unless it explicitly states otherwise. So if somebody doesn't care
about copyright, which is 99% of the time, then it will end up in the
Public Domain. If they do care, then they need to mark their content as
such. And when they do care to copyright their work, and they do mark
it explicitly, then people can understand that they really mean it, and
respect that accordingly.

Andrius

Andrius Kulikauskas
Minciu Sodas
m...@ms.lt
http://www.ms.lt
http://www.12questions.org

Alex Hillman

Mar 6, 2010, 4:29:05 PM3/6/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Educational! Does anyone else have anything to contribute to this idea before I make the change?

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia