Removing the Coworking Hyphen - next steps!

Joel Deskwanted

Oct 7, 2011, 9:59:16 AM10/7/11
to Coworking
Hello everybody,

Here's an update on the "remove the coworking hyphen" campaign:

1. We have drafted a letter to send to the editors of the AP
stylebook. You are all welcome to read it and add your thoughts/
comments!
You'll find it here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vQ4dNY3O8Ue0w7HcNoC9NhMB9KfVWgRh7MPICvv9_Yk/edit?hl=en_US

Notes:
- Any suggestions on how this should be "signed"? Should we collect
digital signatures? An online petition?
- You'll notice I refer often to the coworking "industry". I know this
won't rub well with some people, but I think it is necessary when
petitioning AP to present it in these terms. Thoughts?

2. We have purchased an account on the AP Stylebook website, which
will allow us to "ask the editor" a question.

3. I have asked Brad Neuberg to write a paragraph supporting this
campaign, and he has agreed! It should add some weight to have the
person who helped popularize the term lend his voice to the project.

4. Once all suggestions and changes are in, we will present this
letter to be "ratified" at the upcoming Coworking Europe conference in
Berlin!

5. DEADLINE: In order to have a letter ready for the conference, we
should set a deadline of November 1 for all changes and suggestions.

Anyone else have any ideas about how we should proceed? Remember that
we are willing to put our resources to use to help this along, so
don't be afraid to ask for our time and support!

Joel Dullroy
Deskwanted.com
Deskmag.com

Joel Deskwanted

Oct 6, 2011, 8:02:51 AM10/6/11
to Coworking
Hello everybody,

We've taken some steps in our "remove the coworking hyphen" campaign!

1. We have drafted a letter to be sent to AP formally requesting the
removal of the hyphen. I would invite you all to read it on Google
docs, and add any suggestions you might have:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vQ4dNY3O8Ue0w7HcNoC9NhMB9KfVWgRh7MPICvv9_Yk/edit?hl=en_US

- Note: You'll notice I refer to coworking as an "industry". I know
that won't rub well with some people, but I thought it would come
across better than "movement" or "trend" when petitioning AP.

- A question: How should this letter be signed? Should it be presented
as the cover letter of a petition? Would it be better to have a set of
signatories? How will we all sign it, across different locations?

2. We have bought an account on www.apstylebook.com, which will allow
us to submit a question to the editor. We will do this, as soon as we
have consensus on the letter.

3. We will present the letter to be "ratified" at the upcoming
Coworking Europe conference in Berlin, November 3 to 5, 2011. It would
be great if any other meetings of coworkers, coworking space
operators, or associated entities could do the same!

4. DEADLINE: To keep this project in order, we should set a deadline
for changes or contributions to the letter. Since we'd like to present
it at the conference, let's set the deadline for November 2 2011.

Does anyone have suggestions for further steps that should be made?
Remember, we are happy to provide our resources to help push this
thing along! Don't be afraid to ask for our time and energy.

Joel Dullroy
Deskwanted & Deskmag

Joel Deskwanted

Oct 11, 2011, 6:22:55 AM10/11/11
to Coworking
In addition to the letter, we would like to send a nicely designed PDF
of images showing active use of the word "coworking" (sans hyphen).

Does anyone have photos of your signage using this word that you could
send me?

Don't forget to read and contribute to the proposed letter!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vQ4dNY3O8Ue0w7HcNoC9NhMB9KfVWgRh7MPICvv9_Yk/edit%3Fhl%3Den_US&usg=AFQjCNHe9uPCSHKWgcAlpPj6GMOn4WEobQ

Joel
Deskwanted/Deskmag

Joel Deskwanted

Oct 13, 2011, 4:32:54 AM10/13/11
to Coworking
An update:

I asked Brad Neuberg to write a few paragraphs to support the "drop
the hyphen" campaign, and he kindly agreed! Here is his contribution:

"When I started coworking and created the term I very consciously
dropped the hyphen. My intention is for coworking to be closer to the
word collaboration, which does not have a hyphen, rather than co-
worker. I also wanted the term to feel informal, and a dash in
coworking felt awkward and difficult to type.

"When the New York Times printed their first article on the coworking
phenomenon (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/business/
businessspecial2/20cowork.html?pagewanted=all), I made sure to work
closely with the New York Times editor to ensure the dash did not
appear in coworking. The official AP Stylebook should mirror this and
drop the hyphen."

- Brad Neuberg
Blog: http://codinginparadise.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/bradneuberg

On Oct 11, 12:22 pm, Joel Deskwanted <joeldull...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In addition to the letter, we would like to send a nicely designed PDF
> of images showing active use of the word "coworking" (sans hyphen).
>
> Does anyone have photos of your signage using this word that you could
> send me?
>
> Don't forget to read and contribute to the proposed letter!
>
> http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...
>
> Joel
> Deskwanted/Deskmag

Alex Hillman

Oct 13, 2011, 9:41:52 AM10/13/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Susan Evans

Oct 13, 2011, 8:01:33 PM10/13/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hooray! Great work you guys! If you still need photos of signage without the hyphen, I'm happy to send some along.

Best

Susan

Campbell McKellar

Oct 13, 2011, 8:11:12 PM10/13/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, cowo...@googlegroups.com
This rocks!! Great work Joel!!

Loosecubes.com
We're hiring (Ruby on Rails!)
Follow us @loosecubes

TCS

Oct 13, 2011, 8:26:36 PM10/13/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Nice work all!

Chad

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Oct 14, 2011, 3:33:18 PM10/14/11
to Coworking
Thanks for reaching out to Brad.

Craig Baute
Creative Density

On Oct 13, 6:26 pm, TCS <c...@thecreativespace.ca> wrote:
> Nice work all!
>
> Chad
>
> On 2011-10-13, at 8:11 PM, Campbell McKellar <cmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > This rocks!! Great work Joel!!
>
> > Loosecubes.com
> > We're hiring (Ruby on Rails!)
> > Follow us @loosecubes
>
> > On Oct 13, 2011, at 8:01 PM, Susan Evans <su...@officenomads.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hooray! Great work you guys! If you still need photos of signage without the hyphen, I'm happy to send some along.
>
> >> Best
>
> >> Susan
>
> >> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:41 AM, Alex Hillman <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Awesome!
>
> >> /ah
> >> indyhall.org
> >> coworking in philadelphia

> >> --
> >> __
> >> Office Nomads
> >> officenomads.com
> >> 206-484-5859
>
> >> .google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.

jenni...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2011, 10:13:16 PM10/14/11
to Coworking
That is awesome! Thanks Brad.

On Oct 14, 1:33 pm, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking