Airing a Bit of Dirty Laundry

Susan Evans

Sep 12, 2011, 6:12:47 PM9/12/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Happy Monday, coworkers,

I often only share information online when I have something positive to say. It’s just the kind of person I am. But today, my coworking cohorts, that is changing. Because it’s time to air some of my dirty coworking laundry. I am speaking for myself in this email to you all, but I know I have the full support of my fabulous business partner Jacob Sayles behind me. So here we go:

Today I came across some feedback pulled from our Office Nomads coworking survey, which we send to members who have been with us for more than 2 months:

I like Office Nomads days when the alternative is working at my desk at home.  On days when I have client meetings, I don't come in.  But for all the talk of Office Nomads being a social, collaborative space, that's not how I've experienced it at all.  A handful of people are friendly.  In general, it is a clean place for people to plug in headsets and laptops and work on freelance work by themselves.

By themselves

Oh my.

Typically when I look into our coworking survey data, I find it full of positive, thoughtful comments about what a delightful space we’ve crafted here. I’ve written about some of the great data that comes from this survey in the past. Members wax poetic about how it has saved their business lives, saved their personal lives, and has opened them up to new opportunities they never would have had if they’d continued to isolate themselves in private workspaces.

This little bit of feedback made me sit up straight. And it wasn’t because it was different. It wasn’t because it seemed off base. It was because I found it to be completely true.

Now, please note that I tend to be my own worst critic. I tend to take reviews of my business as reviews of myself. But I also know when a review is just one person having a bad day, or when there clearly wasn’t a cultural fit between a potential member and our space. I know my business better than I know myself in that way. But I have to admit that after nearly 4 years running our coworking space, we’re coming up against completely new challenges. Our space is doing better than ever in many ways, but in others we're hitting some new walls. So it's time to start talking about 'em.

I read this bit of feedback and thought: my coworking honeymoon is over. The true challenge of the relationship between my coworking space and me begins now.

So, how do I move forward? How does the Office Nomads team (made up of Jacob Sayles, our Community Cultivator Alex Kruse, and several volunteers) steer our ship back to a better course? How do we maintain the priority of our space being a great place to get work done but encourage the new folks who come in to build the community?

Please, don’t tell me to get a ping-pong table.

Here are some of the things, little and big, we’ve thought of so far to address our “cultural crisis:"

  • Bring the issue to the table. Getting this feedback happens to naturally coincide with the next scheduled State of the Nomads meeting, where we talk about how Office Nomads is doing, where we’re going, and anything else members want to discuss.
  • Hone in on and improve upon our “onboarding” process of new members. Continue to improve upon how new members are introduced to the space and introduced to one another. It often comes down to the little things that make people feel at home here, and it usually is up to us to get people started feeling comfortable from day 1.
  • Don’t allow “comfortable” to turn into “ambivalent.” As an owner of the space, I have hit a spot where we’re relieved that the space is full and vibrant each day, but truthfully I've allowed myself to pull back and not be as engaged as I have been in the past. This is incredibly hard to admit, but I think that it's the easiest bit to change. I love Office Nomads and am easily re-energized to jump back in full swing.
  • Continue rocking out a great event schedule for our members, full of brown-bag events hosted by members for members. They have been one of the most successful aspects of our space, and are a great way to get members to know one another.
  • Move desks. And encourage members to do the same. We’ve built our space to be flexible, but we find our resident members in particular tend to anchor themselves into a particular spot. This means they don’t meet as many new folks over time.

Got any other great ideas for us? Are you a coworking space that has been open for many years and are coming across similar issues? I’d love to hear from you. Better yet, I’d love it if you joined me in LA and sat down to talk about it all at the Coworking Weekend in October. That'd be awesome.

Thanks for listening, everyone.

Susan

__
Office Nomads
officenomads.com
206-484-5859

Angel Kwiatkowski

Sep 12, 2011, 10:25:23 PM9/12/11
to Coworking
First off, you're not airing dirty laundry...you're merely having the
experience we've all had where we're trying our best to keep it
together while looking all fresh and crisp on the outside until
someone pulls back the curtain and we're just standing there in our
underwear.

I've gotten the same feedback and worse about Cohere. There are
absolutely ways that you can help the members engage with one another.
And I believe that you ALREADY know how to do that. There's also got
to be a 50/50 partnership where the members feel responsible enough
for themselves and their experience to go up to strangers and
introduce themselves or ask someone out to coffee.

Have we had people say that Cohere isn't the social hive they thought
it would be? Absolutely. Have those same members left? Sure. Have I
changed Cohere because of it? Not really. Is that bad? Maybe. How many
more questions do you want? :D

We certainly provide intentional avenues for people to get talking but
at the end of the day when there's no event scheduled I want members
who aren't afraid to get a little out of their comfort zones and talk
to each other without needing me or a staff person to help them do it.

Angel

On Sep 12, 4:12 pm, Susan Evans <su...@officenomads.com> wrote:
> [...]
>    easily re-energized to jump back in full swing.
>    - Continue rocking out a great event schedule for our members, full
> of *brown-bag
>    events hosted by members for members. *They have been one of the most
>    successful aspects of our space, and are a great way to get members to know
>    one another.
>    - *Move desks.* *And encourage members to do the same.* We’ve built our
>    space to be flexible, but we find our resident members in particular tend to
>    anchor themselves into a particular spot. This means they don’t meet as many
>    new folks over time.
>
> Got any other great ideas for us? Are you a coworking space that has been
> open for many years and are coming across similar issues? I’d love to hear
> from you. Better yet, I’d love it if you joined me in LA and sat down to
> talk about it all at the Coworking Weekend in

john....@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2011, 11:55:40 PM9/12/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Even with Uncubed only a month old, we've noticed that a fair number of members headphone it up, and it's fairly quiet.

On those days we play some music, the controls are right on the middle of the room so when someone wants a bit more quiet they've turned it down, then back up when done.

The days folks seem naturally more talkative the music isn't needed.

John Wilker
Founder, 360|Conferences
twitter: jwilker
johnwilker.com | Ignite Denver| Denwhere | 360|Flex | 360|iDev

“A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.”
~ Bruce Lee

Trek Glowacki

Sep 13, 2011, 11:32:07 AM9/13/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't presume I'm in a position to give advice to someone else running a coworking community, but I would like to at least share our related story:

I act as community manger of Workantile, a largeish coworking space in Ann Arbor MI, and had a similar moment in January. We officially opened in June 2009 from day one had an even mix of people looking for a cheap downtown office rental (let's call them "Renters") and people seeking similarly situated individuals to share their day with – "Coworkers."

Renters, for us, always had a very high turnover rate. On average they stick around 3-4 months before terminating their membership. Often they only stay for a single month, which places an annoying management and social burden on the group.

In a perfect shitstorm of new jobs, babies, and relocations we lost 1/3 of our members in the first two weeks of December 2010. All but one of these people were Renters. It seemed very likely we'd be shutting up shop at the end of the month and calling our coworking experiment a failure.

In a Town Hall style meeting I laid out two routes:
1) becoming a shared office for freelancers which would involve dedicating specific desks, raising prices, and hiring staff
2) becoming a community of coworkers which would involve adding a labor requirement to membership to keep the space and community functioning and internally raising funds to cover our temporary shortfall.

Much to the chagrin of our remaining Renters, the overwhelming majority of members wanted more, not less, of a community. Many members prepaid for 3-, 6- or 12-month periods to give us funds to exist while we grew even though there was a good chance we'd still fail before seeing the value from their money.

We, as a community, made explicit the three areas of contribution required by all members: work to keep the organization and space operating, money to pay our bills, and interactions to make it worth showing up. Coming in and not saying hello or always keeping your headphones on is just as much underpayment as a bounced check or declined credit card.

This cost us some more existing and potential members, to be sure, but they were the kind who breeze in on clicky heels, march into a conference room to meet with clients for three hours, and march out without saying howdy-do to anyone. Usually these members came to us from referrals from other past Renter types or via one of bazillion Shared Office/Coworking we no longer use.

I've entirely changed the focus of our marketing copy and the content of tours to heavily focus on the community aspect of coworking. I actively curate trial members to weed out people just looking for a good deal on offices (since we're about 25% the cost of a one-person space downtown, we get a lot of these).

We've slowly shed Renters while accumulating Coworkers and I suspect it's led to longer-term viability. I know it's led to higher member satisfaction because I'm daily told how awesome and special what we've created is.

Our community functions so much better now that I'm almost embarrassed to talk about the first year.  We give a ton of latitude to members for what counts as "work" and the variety of awesome things that happens is stunning. I spend my time being social and making connections between members or for members and people in the larger Ann Arbor community. Everything else from coffee deliveries, to scheduling well-attended field trips, to getting local art on our walls is handled by members.

I'm a firm believer that each coworking community is a unique entity, so YMMV, but people who joined for the wrong reasons represented our single largest business risk.

What worked for us:
  * Getting member buy-in for making social and work contributions explicit
  * Putting friendly pressure on Renters to interact more until they became Coworkers or left to find more suitable space
  * Likening the work contribution to Google's 20% time projects
  * Encouraging people to think big and recruit other members to help with work that goes beyond a single person's scope
  * Having a single point person to guide member contributions towards appropriate community goals

The one thing we found nearly impossible to hand over to members was marketing and branding. Our marketing-focused members were all Renter types and kept trying to steer the community back towards attracting more Renters.

Susan Evans

Sep 13, 2011, 1:20:54 PM9/13/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Trek, that was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I think we similarly see a "renters" and "coworkers" situation at our space. Thank you thank you thank you for your reply!

Susan
__
Office Nomads
officenomads.com
206-484-5859

Susan Evans

Sep 13, 2011, 2:32:27 PM9/13/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, John & Angel! I've had a few folks email me off list, and I'll repeat a bit of what I've said to them:

I think that community cultivation will always be a part of running a successful coworking space. But this particular issue goes way beyond worrying about antisocial members. Some of our most collaborative and interactive members are shy and take a little nudging to get out and chatting from time to time. What we're seeing is an influx of members who don't really see the space the way it's intended to be - as a community platform where great work gets done. This is an issue, and we've never had to redefine our space to people who currently use it.

I just think it's critical to keep talking about challenges we face as we grow our coworking spaces. This one has taken me by surprise, but is a challenge I'm excited to see addressed. I also know that the older coworking spaces are going to see this come up again and again over time, and I'm hoping to be able to share my experience with the hope of helping other spaces move through this phase with a bit more ease.

Keep the thoughts and input coming, y'all.

__
Office Nomads
officenomads.com
206-484-5859

Alex Hillman

Sep 13, 2011, 3:25:06 PM9/13/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Angel, John, and Trek's responses are the kinds that remind me why this group exists. Today is a good day on this group in my eyes.

So, we've hit this a couple of times in Indy Hall's history as well. A few notes without repeating the already great comments so far.

  • The first time, our response was "oh crap, what do we do about this!?". The second time, we realized that we weren't the ones who needed to do anything - we needed to make our expectations of our members clearer. The "self selection" of members who are motivated to do things on their own that Angel mentions works very, very well. But through growth, the self selection filters get weaker if they're not maintained. If you watched the video I posted from our 4 year anniversary closely, you'll notice a sign that says "Don't bother asking Alex, the answer is yes". It's tongue in cheek but generally true - when members ask for things, my default response is yes, with a caveat: you have to do it for yourself. Something really cool happens when new members see existing members who aren't the owners or community managers or office managers doing things around the office. They realize that maybe they can too. They'll probably ask for permission the first time. Then, once we made it clear that it was their office too, they started taking ownership of things - everything from interior decorations, events and gatherings, newsletters & communication, group initiatives, etc.
  • There's an acclimation period. I know that MOST people don't get acclimated to Indy hall until their 3rd visit or so. But acclimation is just the first step to being "in", and seeing/feeling the vibe that I think this member (and any new member) couldn't find. I've heard more than once that it's taken people up to 6 months to really feel like they're "in". So there's two options: make sure you're retaining people past the 6 month mark, or shorten the time it takes for them to feel "in". We've worked to shorten this in a few ways:
    1. Our onboarding of all membership levels encourages people to upload an avatar and introduce themselves on our Basecamp when they get in. We've noticed those people are welcomed quicker in face to face interactions, in the kitchen, etc. I've noticed that if you start with the tone of "introduce yourself", people are more likely to do that in the future when they're NOT the new members anymore. Start good habits early.
    2. Rituals are great because they create a rhythm of activity, but also an opportunity for new members to jump into those rhythms at predictable rates. It can be something as simple as a weekly welcome email that says hello to new members to something as goofy as "drinking your keys". When new full time members get their keys, we give them the option to receive them from the bottom of a pint of beer. This doesn't work everywhere, but social drinking is a big part of our culture at Indy Hall and people enjoy this silly ritual - both the participants and the people cheering them on.
    3. Speaking of keys, we had a MAJOR undermining of trust - a theft conducted by a new full time member. After booting him, we considered our options. Lock things down and take away the most critical element of Indy Hall - trust - or make it clear that it was in our expectations of our members that they work to earn each others trust. If they weren't getting to know each other, there's no way to know "what's weird". So we came up with a social security system that forces all new full time members desiring keyholding access to get signatures from 3 other keyholding full time members. This forces our existing keyholders to be reminded that the community's security is in their hands, quite literally. It also forces our new members to get to know at least 3 other members. Since introducing this process, the quality of interaction from our full time members, and their assistance in onboarding new members of all levels, has increased dramatically.
  • Figure out your "higher purpose". I learned this one in the early days from Chris and Tara, but having a purpose that is bigger than any one person is one of the strongest things to help people bond. At Indy Hall, our higher purpose is "to make Philadelphia a better place to make a living doing what you love". That's not just something we say, but something we do, something our members do, and something our members have in common. I think Trek's story is similar to this: the "higher purpose", even if it wasn't defined, is what let the community members decide that's what they wanted more of - and less of the "renters". Look for this in your own communities. Try to help it be communicated better to new members. If nothing else, it gives them something to talk about when they take out their headphones.
Susan, the ideas you posed in your original email are all fantastic as well. I'd look at each one closely and figure out which ones need to be you leading them, versus which ones are opportunities for you to actively help form new leaders in the community. The quality of membership not only goes up, but the perpetuation of new leadership means you're less likely to find yourself at this impasse again.

This is my favorite part of developing a coworking community.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

d...@cocomsp.com

Sep 16, 2011, 10:15:44 AM9/16/11
to Coworking
Best line in here: "This cost us some more existing and potential
members, to be sure, but they
were the kind who breeze in on clicky heels, march into a conference
room to
meet with clients for three hours, and march out without saying howdy-
do to
anyone."

Yes, we know those breezy, clicky heels very well.

I call them" customers" because unlike members, they don't come with
the intention of belonging, but rather to consume services and be
waited on. I've noticed that people with the customer mentality don't
cope well with the inevitable disruptions you're going to get in a
shared work setting. In fact, we had one fellow ask us if we'd
compensate him for his downtime when we had an internet outage. For
the first time, we began entertaining the idea of breaking up with a
member. "I'm sorry, it's not us, it's you."

I'm glad to say that some of our dearest members first come to us as
mere consumers of space. It's all they know. But at some point they
have a conversion. I haven't figured out what the magic moment is, the
words that are spoken, that causes the change of heart, but it's good
to keep in mind that it's always possible.

Trek, your story was super helpful and inspiring. Reminds me of what
an Open Space facilitator once told me: that she wasn't responsible
for people's experience at, say, an unconference, but that the
participants were responsible for their *own* experience. I feel like
we're talking about much the same thing...

Thanks, all!

d.

Don Ball
CoCo coworking and collaborative space
Minneapolis & St. Paul

Alex Hillman

Sep 16, 2011, 10:21:42 AM9/16/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad to say that some of our dearest members first come to us as
mere consumers of space. It's all they know. But at some point they
have a conversion. I haven't figured out what the magic moment is, the
words that are spoken, that causes the change of heart, but it's good
to keep in mind that it's always possible.

Agreed. It is possible.

I had an awesome conversation with one of our members who is working on an article for a magazine about coworking in the context of intentional communities and she said, quite simply: "working at Indy Hall changes you".

This falls in line with my personal mission for Indy Hall and for coworking in general: if the future executives of the biggest companies in the world worked from a coworking space sometime in their career, no matter how long before they were the executive of the biggest company in the world, their perspective on how they run that company, interact with their colleagues and the world around them, would be fundamentally different from the fact that they coworked at Indy Hall. That's not just improving one persons' day in the short term, that's potentially improving THOUSANDS of peoples' days in the long term.

Just by creating the right experience for one person.

That's our job. Creating that right experience. Everything else "just happens".

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Jacob Sayles

Sep 16, 2011, 2:36:27 PM9/16/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Corporate execs trying out coworking spaces...  I like the idea and add the caveat that they can't just spend a day in a space... passing time in a coworking space in the customer/renter/outsider mentality won't get anyone very far.  Understanding that very line, the one between customer and member, is at the heart of what makes coworking what it is as opposed to a business center.

I'm looking for ways to best message this distinction to potential new people so everyone knows as quickly as possible what it is we are doing here.  In the early days, this poured out of both Susan and I in everything we did and our ever presence ensured the message got around.  Four years in and things work a little differently now as Susan's original message illustrates.

I love customer/member... sounds less derogatory then renter/member... I'm never a fan of any us/them type wording as it shuts out folks that really want to be members but need a little help getting there.

Jacob

---
Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com(206) 323-6500

Alex Hillman

Sep 16, 2011, 2:50:01 PM9/16/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
No, no - you missed my point. I'm talking longer-term.

I'm not asking a current exec to try out a coworking space. For a day, or ever.

I'm talking about the fact that one of the hundreds of people who work at Indy Hall might run one of the most powerful companies in the world someday. 10 years from now. 20 years from now. Whatever.

I believe that the experience they have today at Indy Hall changes the path to being that person, and what they do in that position.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Veel Hoeden

Sep 16, 2011, 2:53:08 PM9/16/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Jacob- I've loved this train of thought you've been discussing. Well done.

I have a friend who works with companies on employee onboarding and performance management.  When speaking of employee types, he uses the terms "owners" and "renters".  One (and the preferred) has taken ownership of the company regardless of their status there, and has a passion for the health of the company.  The other is there because they need a job, and see the company as a location to do work.

I think this is very applicable to coworking spaces.  Many of us have "owners" who go out of their way to engage in the community of the space, spend time making sure things are working just right, bring in decorations or extra furniture for the good of the space, and take the garbage out when it is full (these are my favorite people!).  Renters are the ones doing a majority of their work "heads down", enter and exit without greetings or goodbyes, and generally would be invisible in the space if they weren't asking "who do I tell to get the printer refilled with paper?"  I call them ghosts, and I typically see them lasting a month before they quit showing up... even though no one notices.

Thanks & God Bless,

Joel Bennett

Veel Hoeden                 Chief Dreamchaser        http://veelhoeden.posterous.com        @veelhoeden

Follow us on Twitter

image001.png

Jacob Sayles

Sep 16, 2011, 2:55:15 PM9/16/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
The Coworking Effect.... I like it.  Thanks for persisting.

Jacob

---
Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com(206) 323-6500

Alex Hillman

Sep 16, 2011, 3:02:00 PM9/16/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I've got a bit more about "The Coworking Effect" (I'll be using that) here: http://dangerouslyawesome.com/2011/07/i-dont-think-were-solving-a-cubicle-problem/

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Linda Goin

Sep 17, 2011, 8:36:05 AM9/17/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Susan -- what a great topic, and thanks for bringing up the fine line between "renting" and "sharing." I loved the answers to your situation, especially from Trek and Angel. Our space, La Venture Station (La Grange, KY) had a 'soft' opening on Sept 1, with a grand opening upcoming on Sept. 30th. Between reading solutions and issues in this group and watching reactions in real life, even I had a problem on how to define La Venture Station's space at times through the planning and opening phase.

What it boils down to is that people had to come see our space before they "got it," as they are new to the coworking concept. We often describe the space as the hub where shared space meets incubator meets the club for people who work from home -- but it's the introduction to the actual space and the concept that members have responsibilities that makes that space take shape.

We have little space (less than 1,200 sq ft. at the moment), but it's very well defined: A kitchen with a door that can serve as a 'social' space; a long open room that can serve as a 'work' or collaborative space, and a conference room that could serve both as a 'private' and/or collaborative space. While we want members to take this concept and run with it, a little guidance on the front end can't hurt...and using the space to "guide" that concept may or may not work -- we won't know until we have more members.

I'm also booking speakers and motivators for the conference space...we envision members who might be more motivated after learning about various methods, issues and solutions for both entrepreneurs and co-working situations. Sometimes it takes a little training for people to understand the difference between sharing an office space and reaching over those boundaries to co-share. I know that I needed that training, and much of what I learned about how to go about creating such a space I learned from this group.

Good luck -- Your really thought your issue out and presented it with passion and insight. Thanks!

Linda Goin
laventurestation.com
facebook.com/laventurestation

JeanYves

Sep 18, 2011, 4:51:17 PM9/18/11
to Coworking
Today, I read a very bright quotation from a Dutch guy on Twitter :
"Don't use the word office anymore. It's becoming a meeting place"

Coworking is maybe a future for even more people than we think... :-)

Jean-Yves Huwart
Coworking Europe 2011 conference (Berlin, Nov 3-4-5)

Susan Evans

Sep 21, 2011, 4:26:44 PM9/21/11
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, team
Thanks Linda & JeanYves, and everyone else who has pitched into this conversation over the last week. I really appreciate all of your thoughtful feedback and ideas on how to bring about change within an existing coworking space. We still have so much to learn after 4 years of running our space, and that is what keeps this whole coworking thing awesome.

Only 9 days after sending my initial email our space feels palpably better. :) Thanks to you all for your support, your ideas, and a big thanks to our home team at Office Nomads for making our space all that it is.

__
Office Nomads
officenomads.com
206-484-5859