Accessibility [WAS] Re: Sonoma County/Petaluma meetings

1 view

Tara Hunt

Dec 3, 2007, 5:35:28 PM12/3/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I set up a wiki page on Coworking for this discussion to begin:

http://coworking.pbwiki.com/Accessibility

But starting a thread would be great here on this list as well as having many contribute resources for various spaces to consider as they look for a home. The most important thing is that people see this as an opportunity. Because coworking is so young, weaving this into the fabric of what we are is uber important from day one. It sends a positive message. I know for us at Citizen Space, we have been able to say 'yes' to three requests now to space accessibility and each one of those 'yes's brings on more good word of mouth.

We also bookmark sites at Ma.gnolia. I don't know if anyone else uses it, but we should add accessibility tagged links to the coworking group:

http://ma.gnolia.com/groups/Coworking

I think having real resources will help out alot. Anthony? Is this a good start?

On Dec 3, 2007 2:25 PM, ATusler <anthony...@gmail.com > wrote:

It sounds like the tour would be possible and worth my time, so count
me in. Let's not rent a van. I have my own. My inquiry about the bus
is my desire to participate fully in the tour. One thing--I would like
to have some of the group ride with me for the sociability factor.

OK, much of this conversation needs to take place at a broader level.
How do we go about it? It is a values issue that I would like the
coworking community to discuss.

Thanks for taking this on,

Anthony

--
tara 'miss rogue' hunt
coFounder
Citizen Agency (www.citizenagency.com)
blog: www.horsepigcow.com
phone: 415-694-1951
fax: 415-727-5335

ATusler

Dec 3, 2007, 10:30:50 PM12/3/07
to Coworking
Tara,

That's geat! You're a wonderful ally.

I've put some resources and description on http://coworking.pbwiki.com/Accessibility.
I hope it helps those who may be new to the concepts.

One of the key criteria for success of universal designs is building
the concepts in at the very beginning. I'm glad that Citizen Space is
being so explicit and thoughtful. One important consideration is for
the future when one of the tenants breaks a leg and can still get to
work.

Anthony

On Dec 3, 2:35 pm, "Tara Hunt" <horsepig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I set up a wiki page on Coworking for this discussion to begin:
>
> http://coworking.pbwiki.com/Accessibility
>
> But starting a thread would be great here on this list as well as having
> many contribute resources for various spaces to consider as they look for a
> home. The most important thing is that people see this as an opportunity.
> Because coworking is so young, weaving this into the fabric of what we are
> is uber important from day one. It sends a positive message. I know for us
> at Citizen Space, we have been able to say 'yes' to three requests now to
> space accessibility and each one of those 'yes's brings on more good word of
> mouth.
>
> We also bookmark sites at Ma.gnolia. I don't know if anyone else uses it,
> but we should add accessibility tagged links to the coworking group:
>
> http://ma.gnolia.com/groups/Coworking
>
> I think having real resources will help out alot. Anthony? Is this a good
> start?

Tara Hunt

Dec 4, 2007, 4:37:02 PM12/4/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I just posted this to the blog:

http://blog.coworking.info/2007/12/04/adding-accessibility-to-our-list-of-core-principles/

(Anthony, if you would like an author account, just ask)

Tara

ATusler

Dec 13, 2007, 2:08:55 PM12/13/07
to Coworking
Anyone know about PariSoMa's level of accessibility? They are on the
co-hopping tour tonight. I tried to track them down on-line with
little success.

Thanks!

Anthony

On Dec 4, 1:37 pm, "Tara Hunt" <horsepig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just posted this to the blog:
>
> http://blog.coworking.info/2007/12/04/adding-accessibility-to-our-lis...
>
> (Anthony, if you would like an author account, just ask)
>
> Tara

ATusler

Dec 14, 2007, 1:08:25 PM12/14/07
to Coworking
The tour last night was great! my wheelchair and I were able to get
into SandBox, Citizen Space, and Hat Factory. Unfortunately, ParisSoma
is up two flights of stairs. Someone did come out to open up an
elevator. He called someone on his cell but was told, "No." Our Sonoma
crew took turns going up the stairs to take a look while I hung out in
the mean streets (exaggeration for effect).

All in all, we all had a very informative and interesting time.

Anthony