jchris or mattetti

RicRoberts

Sep 15, 2009, 9:27:25 AM9/15/09
to CouchRest
I was wondering.... which github fork of couchrest should I be using?
I can see that mattetti's has more recent updates, and has a higher
version number, but it looks like it's a fork of a repo by jchris.

RicRoberts

Sep 15, 2009, 9:35:06 AM9/15/09
to CouchRest
... part of the reason I ask is because the bug described in this
other (old) thread only seems to happen on mattetti's fork.

http://groups.google.com/group/couchrest/browse_thread/thread/2e4c8dd9c34f4313

Matt Aimonetti

Sep 15, 2009, 1:21:49 PM9/15/09
to couc...@googlegroups.com
The official repo is http://github.com/couchrest/couchrest/tree/master
Because of some errors I made earlier with couchrest git repos, I can't push my changes right now, but that's the official repo.

- Matt

RicRoberts

Sep 15, 2009, 4:56:58 PM9/15/09
to CouchRest
Hi Matt! Thanks for clearing that up!

On Sep 15, 6:21 pm, Matt Aimonetti <mattaimone...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The official repo ishttp://github.com/couchrest/couchrest/tree/master
> Because of some errors I made earlier with couchrest git repos, I can't push
> my changes right now, but that's the official repo.
>
> - Matt
>
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 6:35 AM, RicRoberts <ricisb...@googlemail.com>wrote:
>

> > ... part of the reason I ask is because the bug described in this
> > other (old) thread only seems to happen on mattetti's fork.
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/couchrest/browse_thread/thread/2e4c8dd...

Glenn Rempe

Sep 15, 2009, 5:46:30 PM9/15/09
to CouchRest
Matt,

There appears to be an issue with couchrest-couchrest which prevents
the gem from being installed from github (it has never been built by
github).

glenn@macbook-pro /tmp/relax$ sudo gem install couchrest-couchrest
ERROR: could not find gem couchrest-couchrest locally or in a
repository
glenn@macbook-pro /tmp/relax$ gem sources
*** CURRENT SOURCES ***

http://gems.rubyforge.org/
http://gems.github.com
http://gems.opscode.com
http://gems.engineyard.com

And the list of built gems on GitHub does not contain the gem
couchrest-couchrest.

http://gems.github.com/list.html

Also, wouldn't it make more sense for your (and jchris's) repo to be
forks of the official repo, and not the other way around? To avoid
future confusion (I think this question of which is the canonical
version has been asked several times before). Perhaps if your fork is
the source of the official code it would make sense to force push your
repo to couchrest-couchrest, delete your fork, and re-create it from
this new canonical version. Just a thought...

Cheers,

On Sep 15, 10:21 am, Matt Aimonetti <mattaimone...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The official repo ishttp://github.com/couchrest/couchrest/tree/master
> Because of some errors I made earlier with couchrest git repos, I can't push
> my changes right now, but that's the official repo.
>
> - Matt
>
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 6:35 AM, RicRoberts <ricisb...@googlemail.com>wrote:
>

> > ... part of the reason I ask is because the bug described in this
> > other (old) thread only seems to happen on mattetti's fork.
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/couchrest/browse_thread/thread/2e4c8dd...

Peter Gumeson

Sep 15, 2009, 7:59:10 PM9/15/09
to CouchRest
I believe the exact problem is that Matt cannot push his changes to
couchrest/couchrest because of some funky rebasing. So not sure if a
force push has been tried, or would be wise.

But, here's a similar idea that might work...

1. Have Matt merge jchris's most recent 5 commits on couchrest/
couchrest into mattetti/couchrest
2. delete couchrest/couchrest and then re-fork from jchris/couchrest
instead.
3. Merge mattetti/couchrest into the new couchrest/couchrest master
4. Bump gemspec on couchrest/couchrest if gem was not built
automatically from the merge

Peter

On Sep 15, 2:46 pm, Glenn Rempe <gl...@rempe.us> wrote:
> Matt,
>
> There appears to be an issue with couchrest-couchrest which prevents
> the gem from being installed from github (it has never been built by
> github).
>
> glenn@macbook-pro /tmp/relax$ sudo gem install couchrest-couchrest
> ERROR:  could not find gem couchrest-couchrest locally or in a
> repository
> glenn@macbook-pro /tmp/relax$ gem sources
> *** CURRENT SOURCES ***
>
> http://gems.rubyforge.org/http://gems.github.comhttp://gems.opscode.comhttp://gems.engineyard.com

RicRoberts

Oct 11, 2009, 10:03:00 AM10/11/09
to CouchRest
So it looks like the couchrest github repo is now up to date, but the
Gemcutter version of the gem is still old (it's v0.33 but it doesn't
contain recent fixes/updates). Can anyone tell me where should I be
installing the gem from? Or should I just build it myself from the
github source?