autopush extension

Benoit Chesneau

Jul 24, 2010, 4:22:23 PM7/24/10
to CouchApp
Hi all,

I just commited autopush extension. This extension allows you to
autoomatically send changes from your couchapp folder to CouchDB.

To use it, register the extension in your
.couchapprc :

{
"extensions": [
"egg:couchapp#autopush"
]
}

Then launch autopush server in the couchapp folder :

couchapp autopush --update-delai 10 . testdb

This command send changes every 10 seconds to tesdb database. autopush
use linux inotify API if pyinotify is installed. Eventlet is required
for this feature.

Hope it will be useful. Any feedback appreciated.

J. Chris Anderson

Jul 24, 2010, 4:25:40 PM7/24/10
to CouchApp

On Jul 24, 1:22 pm, Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just commited autopush extension. This extension allows you to
> autoomatically send changes from your couchapp folder to CouchDB.
>
> To use it, register the extension in your
> .couchapprc :
>
> {
>    "extensions": [
>         "egg:couchapp#autopush"
>     ]
>
> }
>
> Then launch autopush server in the couchapp folder :
>
>     couchapp autopush --update-delai 10 . testdb

I was discussing this with Benoit and IRC. I think the feature would
be much more useful if it didn't require any configuration on the part
of the user.

So instead of doing anything special, you could just add --auto to
your existing couchapp push command, and it will run continuously,
pushing changes as you work.

Would folks prefer that method of invocation? My hunch is yes, but we
want to see from the community.

Thanks for the great work Benoit! My interest now is in making it as
accessible to the user-base as possible.

Chris

Benoit Chesneau

Jul 24, 2010, 4:37:22 PM7/24/10
to CouchApp

On Jul 24, 10:25 pm, "J. Chris Anderson" <jch...@apache.org> wrote:

> I was discussing this with Benoit and IRC. I think the feature would
> be much more useful if it didn't require any configuration on the part
> of the user.
>
> So instead of doing anything special, you could just add --auto to
> your existing couchapp push command, and it will run continuously,
> pushing changes as you work.

While this command could be available by default I need to be autopush
command and not another function imo since there are some options
possible :

--no-inotify : don't use inotify on linux
--update-delay : time in second between each updates
--no-atomic : send non atomically (like push)

adding these options wil make "push" command more complex I think ?

> Would folks prefer that method of invocation? My hunch is yes, but we
> want to see from the community.

waiting your feedback too. Change will be easy.

- benoît

Per Ejeklint

Jul 24, 2010, 5:09:45 PM7/24/10
to CouchApp
Thanks for this great addition! I've so far used a TextMate bundle to
achieve auto push but since I'm not entirely in love with TextMate
this opens up for even nicer tool combos.If I'm to choose, a platform
agnostic command --auto is preferred over any configuration and
selection of flags for delays, atomics and platform specific stuff.
Ideally, --auto would apply to my default environment and immediately
trigger when a file or file set changes.

Mariano Viola

Apr 2, 2011, 1:15:08 PM4/2/11
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

the "--add" option seems to be the cleanest solution.
The Benoit solution instead solves the problem now.

-Mariano