COSATU Today, 05 November 2012

Norman Mampane

Nov 5, 2012, 8:27:41 AM11/5/12
to cosatu-d...@googlegroups.com, cosatu-d...@gmail.com, Khanyisile Fakude, Alfred Mafuleka, Babsy Nhlapo, Bernard Hlakole, Bheki Ntshalintshali, Dibuseng Pakose, Dolly Ngali, Enos Ramaru, George Mahlangu, Gertrude Mtsweni, Jabulile Tshehla, Jacqueline Bodibe, Jane Barrett, Jonas Mosia, mu...@cosatu.org.za, Nelisiwe Steele, Theo Steele, Nhlanhla Ngwenya, Nthabiseng Makhajane, Nthuseng Mpisi, Patrick Craven, Petunia Phindile Sindane, Shadow Mahlong, sibu...@cosatu.org.za, Sifiso Khumalo, th...@cosatu.org.za, Tshidi Makhathini, Zakhele Cele, Anele Gxoyiya, Bongani Masuku, masukub...@gmail.com, Christopher.Malikane, Dan Sibabi, Dumisani Dakile, Elma Geswindt, Fidel Mlombo, Freda Oosthuysen, Khaliphile Cotoza, Kopano Konopi, Louisa Nxumalo, Mandla Rayi, Manne Thebe, Matserane Wa Mapena, Matthew Parks, Mike Louw, Mkhawuleli Maleki, Monyatso Mahlatsi, Mpheane Lepaku, ne...@netpoint.co.za, Nokhwezi Buthelezi, Ntsiki Mdebuka-Mgudlwa, Patience Lebatlang, Patrick Phelane, phi...@cosatu.org.za, Prakashnee Govender, Ruth Mosiane, Sam Mashinini, Sidumo Dlamini, Solly Phetoe, Thabo Mokoena, Thandi Makapela, Thokozani Mtini, Toeki Kgabo, Tony Ehrenreich, Tyotyo James, wel...@cosatu.org.za, Zanele Matebula, Zet Luzipo, Zingiswa Losi, Norman Mampane

COSATU Today

                                  Our side of the story

   Monday 05 November  2012

‘Strengthen COSATU for total emancipation’

Contents

Workers’ Parliament

Ø  COSATU campaigning against corruption in Greater Tshwane

Ø  North West MEC must wake-up and do what he is supposed to

Ø  Enabling COSATU Members access ‘Cosatu Today face-book Page’

South Africa

Ø  Slow progress on NHI and violence in public hospitals are worrying – DENOSA

Ø  NEHAWU welcomes appointment of Michael Coetzee as the Secretary to Parliament

Ø  NUMSA Statement on the racial madness of the DA, and Nkandla

Ø  The DA`s march exposes its allergy to democracy

International

Ø  Spain: heated debate on concession award to water company

Ø  African maritime unions commit to new labour convention

Ø  New Report Reveals DHL’s anti-union abuses in Turkey

Ø  Trinidad & Tobago Postal Workers Picket Minister's Office

Ø  Norway Post & PostNord announce acquisitions

Ø  UNI Apro Graphical & Packaging steps up to organise MNCs employees

Ø  Santander Italy cutting jobs

Announcements

Ø  South African Labour Bulletin coming Edition

Ø  IndustriALL Affiliates take action to STOP PRECARIOUS WORK

Ø  NEDLAC Labour Constituency Retirement Funds Conference Notice

Ø  Living Wage Campaign; Bargaining for a Living Wage

Ø  PSI World Congress in Durban, South Africa; 27-30 November 2012

Workers’ Parliament!

COSATU campaigning against corruption in Greater Tshwane

Dumisane Dakile, COSATU Gauteng Provincial Secretary, 05 November 2012

COSATU President, Sidumo Dlamini, will be leading a march against corruption, by members COSATU Gauteng, SANCO and the SACP Greater Tshwane Branch on Tuesday 6 November 2012.

The marchers will assemble at 09h00 at Schubart Park and will hand over a memorandum to the Mayor of Tshwane at 10h00 and then proceed to the Department of Labour Head Office at 12h00.

The media are invited to attend and report.

For further details, please phone Phutas Tseki, COSATU Gauteng provincial Chairperson, on 082 498 5840

_____________________

cid:image001.png@01CD18A3.91667800North West MEC must wake-up and do what he is supposed to

Jacob Modeming , SAMWU’s North West Provincial Secretary, 05 November 2012

The South African Municipal Workers Union (SAMWU) in the North West province is once again calling on the MEC for Local Government China Dodovu, to wake up from his slumber and do what his highly paid salary demands of him to do.

We have in the past called for this MEC to act decisively in managing and running Local Government, however it seems as though our calls are falling on deaf ears.

We are once again calling on the honorable MEC China Dodovu to do the following;

To visit Matlosana Local Municipality in the North West province, where Dodovu used to be an Executive Mayor, to deal with the following;

Corruption and Maladministration in the Institution

Investigate and deal with all issues of corruption in this Municipality including:

  1. The appointment of Molatlhegi Kgauwe; the cousin of the current Executive Mayor; Mike Kgauwe as the Chief Financial Officer who is being paid R1,1 Million per annum, whilst for some odd reason other directors in the institution are paid R200 000 less.
  2. An amount of R500 000 was deposited into the bank account of a company which was supposed to have distributed rubbish bins to communities, sadly no bins were ever distributed.
  3. The appointment of Angela Solomon-Maluleka as the Assistance Director: Labour Relations in the Institution since 2007 even though she does not have the relevant qualifications and expertise. This  Director has been paid and continues to earn a salary every month despite not possessing:

·         A valid driver’s license

·         Relevant Qualifications including a Matric Certificate

Finally, the honorable MEC is requested to deal with these matters and all other matters that our Union has presented to his office.

Should it be that the high office of the Minister continues to ignore these matters, we will have no other choice but to call for the MEC to be relieved of his duties.

In the meantime, the Union will continue to mobilize all its members to partake in rolling mass action to fight corruption, maladministration, intimidation, suspensions and harassment of our Shop-stewards.

Issued by SAMWU

___________________

‘We demand that payment of R71 Swartruggens tollgate be suspended’

Solly Phetoe, COSATU North West Provincial Secretary, 05 November 2012

The Congress of South African Trade Unions in the North West had a successful campaign to blockade the Swartruggens toll plaza which is the most expensive toll gate in the country.

This is after COSATU had temporarily suspended the campaign to allow the ministerial task team to do its work, but to our disappointment the task team has not yet consulted COSATU to get its input on the demands forwarded to the minister of transport.

COSATU however managed to blockade the toll gate for more than four hours to voice its demands and make sure that the minister acts appropriately in terms of our demands.

The federation, however wants to condemn the conduct of the national Department of Transport on their failure to come and give feedback to the march after they had confirmed.

COSATU has also noted that the department seems to act when COSATU goes back to the toll gate, as they have now convened a meeting with COSATU on 7th November 2012 and as COSATU we confirm that we will attend that meeting to motivate our demands.

The federation wants to reiterate its position that this toll gate takes away the rights of the people of the province and this country to travel freely as enshrined in the constitution of the republic and the freedom charter.

COSATU wants to call on the minister of transport to take the matter very seriously and make sure that the demands of COSATU are adhered to before the beginning of the festive season.

Failure to do so, COSATU will left with  no option except to block the road again during the busy festive period.

The federation wants to take this opportunity to thank the Rustenburg taxi association and all the motorists and communities who continue to support its campaign against this exploitation of our people.

The taxi association released over 60 cars to support the campaign with the motorcade.

It is on record that on the same day of the action, the demonstration was able to use its power to demand that all motorists who joined the campaign must pay the R71, 00 and that was agreed by the management of the toll gate and it is on that basis that we demand that payment of R71 must be suspended until the task team concludes its work.

Enabling COSATU Members access ‘Cosatu Today face-book Page’

Introduction to COSATU Official Face Book Page

Ø  Congress of South Africa Trade Unions-Cosatu Today

Official face-book page of Congress of South Africa Trade Unions-Cosatu Today, to update members on all activities of the Federation and Affiliates

How to access Cosatu Today Face-book Page

Ø  Go Google and type face book

Ø  Log in on to your face book page and search Congress of South Africa Trade Unions-Cosatu Today; after you have logged-in

Ø  Access the page and make your contributions read by all citizens/members in the country or elsewhere

Ø  Follow COSATU Today Tweets [from @COSATU TODAY _cosatu or cosatu2015], in relation to the work of the Federation

Ø  Examples of Profile information; COSATU Today is Africa's largest Federation Official Face book page, the home of the toiling classes across the world, with more than 2 million membership.

‘The labour movement or labor movement is a broad term for the development of a collective organization of working people, to campaign for better working conditions and treatment from their employers and governments, in particular through the implementation of specific laws governing labour relations’.

‘Trade Unions are collective organizations within societies, organized for the purpose of representing the interests of workers and the working class’.

Ø  Following the Federation is the same as shaping the Federation with your inputs on Facebook!

Social Media generation is here and is unavoidable

‘Facebook is, well, in your face’

‘Let's face it. Facebook's here to stay’

South Africa

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c4/Denosa_logo.pngSlow progress on NHI and violence in public hospitals are worrying – DENOSA

Sibongiseni Delihlazo, DENOSA Communications Manager, 05 November 2012

At its last three-day National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting for this year, which was held over the weekend, the Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA) noted with great concern the slow progress in preparation for the NHI as well as the continuing attacks of healthcare workers in the workplace.

These are especially worrying as the country gears up towards the piloting of the National Health Insurance (NHI) in various district hospitals countrywide from next year, as both these issues should have been resolved a long time ago.

The organisation also vigorously discussed COSATU’s Joint Mandating Committee’s (JMC) implementation plan, where DENOSA, together with other stakeholders in the health sector, have been mandated to give feedback on the progress thus far. This is because nurses will be at the centre when it comes to implementation of the NHI.

With regards to the NHI, DENOSA registers its concern about the slow pace of progress in the work towards its implementation.

In the Northern Cape, for example, since the government delegation visited the pilot site, there has not been any visible progress and proactive on-going engagement with all the role players, and it is the similar case in many other districts as well.

In an attempt to ensure that management nurses in the profession are prepared for the evolvement of healthcare profession, the first batch of nurses who have completed the DENOSA Professional Institute’s (DPI) Leadership For Change programme have finished their two year enrolment and will be graduating on the 21st of November.

The second intake of nurses who are in management positions will be enrolled from January 2013.

It has been noted with concern that the continuing violence at public hospitals throughout the country will further deal a heavy blow in the public confidence that NHI will be a success.

These incidents indicate that safety of both patients and health workers in hospitals is still not guaranteed.

DENOSA expresses its concern at the lack of well-established security facilities because this becomes one more reason for practicing nurses to leave the public sector for safer health facilities in the private sector or in other government departments, at a time when more nurses are desperately needed.

It further discourages young people from pursuing nursing as a profession in order to address the shortage of healthcare workers.

The organisation calls on government to develop a clear programme regarding safety and security in public hospitals, which is where most incidents take place.  Law enforcement agencies should work around the clock to ensure that those who cause chaos at hospitals are brought to book so that this could send a strong message that a wayward behaviour is not tolerated.

“As stipulated in the Nursing Compact that was adopted in the National Nursing Summit which was held in April last year, government should ensure that reasonable and acceptable levels of security measures are upheld in healthcare centres, to ensure safety of workers and uninterrupted healing of those that are ill,” said DENOSA President, Dorothy Matebeni.

Issued by DENOSA

__________________

cid:image001.png@01CD17E4.359FF470NEHAWU welcomes appointment of Michael Coetzee as the Secretary to Parliament

Luthando Nogcinisa, NEHAWU Provincial Secretary, 02 November 2012

NEHAWU in the Western Cape and its branch in Parliament welcomes the appointment of Mr Michael Coetzee as Secretary to Parliament and Accounting officer.

We also welcome the support by all political parties and also wishes to thank the executive authorities on the swift appointment of Mr Coetzee.

The appointment of Mr Coetzee brings closure to a sad chapter in Parliament following the dismissal of the former Secretary to Parliament, Mr Zingile Dingani.

NEHAWU hopes that the new Secretary to Parliament will hit the ground running by resolving and addressing the outstanding issues and worker’s demands that have brought frustration amongst our members and restore the dignity of the office of the Secretary to Parliament.

We are looking forward to a fruitful working relationship with the new Secretary to Parliament.

Issued by NEHAWU Secretariat

____________________

04_numsa_logo   NUMSA Statement on the racial madness of the DA, and Nkandla

Castro Ngobese, NUMSA National Spokesperson, 04 November 2012

"To allow the existing economic forces to retain their interests intact is to feed the roots of racial supremacy and does not represent even the shadow of liberation."

(ANC, 1969)

The National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) fully supports the sentiments raised by the South African Communist Party (SACP) in their advice to the Democratic Alliance (DA) not to push their luck too far, by taking a walk to Nkandla!

We are convinced, especially with all that has happened this year that Helen Zille’s white DA is still steeped in its white supremacist racist culture and thinks Black and African people are white people’s inferiors – how else would they plan to march to Comrade Jacob Zuma’s Nkandla Village?

Clearly, this stunt will earn the DA their badly sought for media attention. It will of course also serve to add ammunition to the undying white racist perception that Africans are inherently corrupt and cannot run South Africa. The global media which are largely white controlled will greedily feast on this story.

From the time Jacob Zuma was elected President of South Africa the DA has carried on a relentless and brutal attack on his person. That attack has obviously been a not so cleverly veiled attack on the intelligence, political wisdom, culture and constitutional right of the majority of the voters – who are Black and African – who voted for the ANC and therefore for Jacob Zuma.

With a brutal and single minded dedication, we have seen the DA pursue the courts for the National Prosecution Authority (NPA) to release the evidence upon which the NPA based its decision to drop the case against Jacob Zuma. We have no doubt that the DA’s greatest political phantasy is to see Jacob Zuma in jail.

We saw the DA mobilise to demonstrate against Cosatu’s perfect constitutional right to influence social, economic, cultural and political developments in the country through the institutions created for that purpose such as NEDLAC. The DA marched to Cosatu House to protest Cosatu’s right to reject the youth wage subsidy through NEDLAC and other perfectly legitimate channels. Violence was the result and many ordinary workers, largely African, were hurt.

Between the constitutional right to dignity of Jacob Zuma and the right to paint, we saw the DA protect the right to paint Jacob Zuma naked. There are several examples we can use to demonstrate the most obvious fact here: the Black and African person in the eyes of the DA is not worthy any human dignity.

The overarching right which flames and gives overall context to the 1996 South African Constitution is the right to human dignity – precisely because for more than 360 years, Black people in general, and Africans in particular, have been regarded and treated as subhuman beings by white people. The DA and white liberals sought to teach us their white racist supremacist right to insult Black and African people’s dignity when they argued that painting a living, grown African man naked, who is the President of this country, was their right to freedom of expression.

Sooner than later, the DA, as the SACP so correctly warns, will tear the extremely thin ribbon that thus far has wielded us together as a nation, post 1994. And the DA and its white political constituency, having sown the wind, must then happily reap the harvest.

NUMSA appeals to every decent, democracy and peace loving South African – Black, White and African - to stop this madness which has afflicted the DA – the madness of stocking racial tensions in order to score cheap political points. They will fail, with disastrous consequences for the entire country!

There are institutions of the state that have already been caused to investigate the financings around Nkandla. What the DA wants to do is a clear racist attack and violation of Jacob Zuma’s and his family’s right to dignity and privacy.

Jacob Zuma is our President, the President of South Africa. Our patience with white racist attacks on his person is limited and wearing thin. We have a duty to defend him. And we will do so, by whatever means necessary, from the DA’s racist inspired violation of his dignity.

Governance by the DA in the Western Cape Province has done nothing to change the lives of the working class and the poor. Instead their preoccupation and focus is on the development of the inner city and white suburbs.

In defending whites, we should recall that they were shooting the poor coloured working class community of Houtbay out of the makeshift informal settlement.

How dare they lecture us on Nkandla when in fact Nkandla forms part of more than 20 rural development plans. If they push us too far, we shall go and camp out at Zille’s house until she attend to the needs of our people.

And to the Liberation Movement, we say, for as long as we leave intact the white monopoly of economic, social and cultural resources in this country, the white person will remain superior, to all other races. After Mangaung, it will be, it must be, time to finish the unfinished business of 1994.

Issued by NUMSA

________________________

The DA`s march exposes its allergy to democracy

Zet Luzipo, COSATU KZN Provincial Secretary,02 November 2012

The Congress of South African Trade Unions in KZN is worried by the sudden bravery and irresponsibility of the Democratic Alliance which is hell-bent on holding an illegal march to the private residence of President Jacob Zuma.

The DA as self-anointed defenders of the constitution is fully aware that its march is illegal and it is a complete violation of our hallowed constitution.

We call on police to do their work and disperse any groupings that may gather illegally around the private residence of any South African Citizen including that of our State President.

We call on police to use this as an opportunity to send a clear message that no one is above the law particularly Helen Zille.

The DA is simply hypocritical. Never in its history has it ever marched against the many ridiculous privileges enjoyed by those who murdered thousands during apartheid. They have never protested against the unlimited privileges enjoyed by De Klerk who is former President of a murderous regime.

They have never demanded cancelation of the licence of Apartheid’s murderous Doctor Wouter Basson but this DA has no shame marching against refurbishments of the residence of a Black President.

The DA must accept that it lost elections and therefore does not have the mandate to rule this country. It must stop its tendency of being allergic to democracy by trying to force a democratically elected government to do as it pleases using the courts and if it that does not succeed resort to using violence as it did against COSATU members demanding implementation of the Youth Wage Subsidy.

It is also not a coincidence that this march by the DA takes place during a period where we have seen sustained attacks against the NUM through the killing of its shop stewards and the attempts to liquidate not only the NUM but COSATU and sweep them off the surface. This DA protest and the attack on unarmed COSATU members in May by the DA are part of a broader strategy to set the clock back to the times of apartheid.

So desperate is the DA to roll back the clock such that it is trying to bribe journalists with food and transport to cover its cheap endeavors. We view the offer of food and transport to the DA to journalists to cover their march as a complete violation of the Press Code. This is similar to the widely condemned off the record briefing held by Bulelani Ngcuka with Journalists in 2003 lobbying them to discredit President Zuma.

If journalists continue to collude with the DA going as far as being transported by it as we are seeing, this will further discredit an already tainted media. We call on all principled journalists to show their anger at the DA’s attempts to bribe them by refusing to participate in any of these cheap antics by the DA. Any journalists who participate in this would have scored a morality own-goal.

The DA is trying to win journalists the same way it has won the Public Protector by involving her in shaping DA policies so that she is their proponent when performing her work in the state.

This march by the DA is once more another attempt to pressurize and influence the investigation by the Public Protector so that it rules in a manner they would prefer as they did when she found mal-administration in DA run Municipalities in Midvaal and in the Western Cape where she had to withdraw her findings simply to please the DA. If the Public Protector continues to act in the best interests of the DA even through this investigation she will lose any little dignity and respect she still has.

Hands off the NUM! Hands of COSATU! Hands of the ANC! Hands of the Democratic Government and its President!

International

PSI  Spain: heated debate on concession award to water company

Teresa Marshall, PSI Communications coordinator, 05 November 2012

In Spain a heated debate is raging over the legality of a recent concession award to Spanish water services company Agbar.

The recent decision by the metropolitan area of Barcelona (AMB) to award a 35-year integral water cycle concession for greater Barcelona to Spain's largest private operator Agbar without an open tender is facing concerted opposition from private sector water operators, NGOs and municipalities, according to an article from Global Water Intelligence.

Agbar and its subsidiary Sorea already manage water supply in 28 of the AMB's 36 municipalities, including Barcelona city, and have had a strong presence since the mid-19th century. With the inclusion of wastewater - up to now the responsibility of the public company EMSSA - Agbar's operation will become a virtual monopoly in the metropolitan area.

When Ricard Gomà, deputy mayor of the Barcelona municipality of El Prat de Llobregat and a member of AMB's governing council, questioned the decision, he was told that "because Agbar already enjoys a near-monopoly on water provision in the metropolitan area, it is legitimate to award the concession without an open tender."

When questioned by GWI, AMB said a tender process was unnecessary because "creating the joint company only changed the management model for wastewater treatment and water supply, but did not alter existing rights and concessions."

Aigua és Vida, a coalition set up to oppose the awarding of Catalan municipal water concessions to private sector companies, argues that the real motive for avoiding an open tender is Agbar's current precarious legal position with regard to its Barcelona operations.

Coalition spokesman Eloi Badía told GWI that, since a court ruled in 2010 that it has no legal contract of concession or award of service for the water supply operation it runs in the city of Barcelona, Agbar "has been operating in a legal vacuum.

"They know they have to regularise their situation. Defining the 35-year concession as a continuation of the contract that Agbar obtained in 1997 to operate the Abrera WTP is the means that Agbar and AMB have devised to resolve the legal problem," he said.

________________

International Transport Workers' FederationAfrican maritime unions commit to new labour convention

International Transport Workers’ Federation, 02 November 2012

A major meeting in which African ITF maritime affiliates laid out their commitment to gaining support and further ratification of the Maritime Labour Convention (MLC), took place in Madagascar from 16-18 October.

The MLC, established in 2006, will come into force in August 2013 after the required ratification by 30 countries was reached earlier this year.

Ratification is a major breakthrough for seafarers’ rights with the MLC providing a comprehensive set of work place protections for the 1.2 million seafarers around the world.

Docker and seafarer affiliates, as well as those from inland navigation and fisheries unions, from across the region attended the Africa combined maritime conference. During the meet they pledged to work together to engage national centres and gain support for campaigns designed to achieve ratification of the MLC and convention 188 on fisheries in their own countries, in order to deliver maximum benefits for rank and file members. So far Benin, Gabon and Togo are the African countries amongst the 30 MLC ratifications.

As well as making their own commitments, maritime unions were giving feedback to the ITF about the kind of support they should aim to provide to unions moving forward to help ensure the African workforce is ready to meet economic changes in the region. Amongst the recommendations was the creation of a strategic group to assist with preparation for campaigns and discussion over key issues like getting a fair share of the jobs in emerging oil and gas industries. To this end a planning workshop early in 2013 was suggested, to lay appropriate strategies on skills training for gas and oil jobs such as working with maritime schools.

ITF Africa regional secretary Joe Katende said: “The emerging job opportunities in Africa’s oil and gas exploitation are great but they could also become the greatest poverty trap and environmental puzzle unless maritime unions in Africa take quick steps to learn from the experiences of other ITF affiliates who have been through similar developments already. African maritime workers must work hard and smart to learn new skills or reorient and sharpen existing skills to fit in with the offshore job market and there will need to be tough negotiations with government bodies in all sub-regions to ensure a fair share of decent jobs.”

 ________________

walmartAllianceNew Report Reveals DHL’s anti-union abuses in Turkey

Richard Elliott, UNI global union, Director of Communications, 04 November 2012

A new report by an eminent U.S. academic reveals evidence of a sustained and unlawful anti-union campaign by logistics giant DHL in Turkey

The report, Aggressive and Unlawful: a report into Deutsche Post DHL Operations in Turkey) by John Logan, professor of labour studies at San Francisco State University and senior labor policy specialist at UC Berkeley, exposes a sophisticated anti-union campaign involving management at the highest levels. It charges that DHL used unfair and illegal dismissals to intimidate and create a climate of fear within the company.
According to the report, DHL fired at least twenty union supporters during a union organising campaign under the pretext of “poor performance”, safety violations and other vague violations of company policy. Even worse, the report finds that the anti-union behaviour of the company was not the result of a few rogue managers but “formed part of a sustained and coordinated strategy to limit workers’ freedom of association” and that the anti-union campaign appeared to involve “management at the highest levels of the corporation”.

UNI and ITF (the International Transport Workers Federation) have warned DHL on a number of occasions that its behaviour in Turkey was illegal and contrary to its own Code of Conduct and its commitments to international standards including the UN Global Compact.

ITF Organising Globally Coordinator Ingo Marowsky commented: “We and our colleagues in UNI Global Union have raised this scandal face to face with DHL management in Bonn and received nothing but platitudes, excuses and claims that there is no proof. Well DHL, here’s the proof, what are you going to do now?”

UNI Campaigns Director Alan Tate said: “This is a shocking report that shows that DHL’s anti-union campaign in Turkey originated from the highest levels of management and exposes the company’s claims to adherence to workers freedom of association as pure fiction. Its behaviour in Turkey is union busting – pure and simple.”

UNI and ITF have repeatedly called on Deutsche Post DHL to enter into a global agreement, which would set out minimum labour standards and trade union rights, including the right to organise, for all its workers

Deutsche Post DHL is one of the largest logistics companies in the world with over 470,000 employees in 220 countries and territories.

Read the full Report at www.itfglobal.org/files/seealsodocs/36752/JohnLoganReport.pdf

_____________

walmartAllianceTrinidad & Tobago Postal Workers Picket Minister's Office

Richard Elliott, UNI global union, Director of Communications, 04 November 2012

Trinidad & Tobago Postal Workers Union take action as new wage talks stall

Members of the Trinidad and Tobago Postal Workers Union have launched a series of pickets on the offices of Stephanie Lewis, the government’s Chief Personnel Officer, after collective bargaining talks with TTPost have stalled.

“We are totally fed up and disgruntled with the manner in how she wishes to treat the postal workers who there labouring, when they take home 2005, 2006 or 2007 salaries. We are yet to receive our offer. We are yet to get that directly from TTPost who indeed gets the directive from the CPO as the secretariat to the Interior Ministry,” said Reginald Chrichlow, President of Trinidad and Tobago Postal Workers Union.

The union had opened us discussions with TTPost in early October to negotiate a new agreement concerning wages. The union contends that the CPO’s failure to act is placing postal workers at the bottom rung of public servants in terms of pay and conditions. It is calling on the CPO and TTPost to negotiate in good faith and to recognize the positive evaluations the staff have achieved since TTPost’s inception.

__________________

walmartAllianceNorway Post & PostNord announce acquisitions

Richard Elliott, UNI global union, Director of Communications, 04 November 2012

http://www.uniglobalunion.org/icons/ecblank.gif

The Scandinavian post offices are expanding via acquisitions of smaller logistics firms

Norway Post and PostNord, the mother company of the Danish and Swedish post offices, each announced acquisitions of smaller logistics firms this week.

Norway Post has announced on Wednesday that it has purchased a Swedish logistics company called Ekdahls Akeri. The company currently has a workforce of around 500 and focuses mainly domestic transport services within Sweden. The move is part of a longer strategic trend Norway Post has undertaken to buy firms to improve its competitive position in the region.

PostNord announced it has acquired a Norwegian logistics company called Harlem Transport AS. Harlem currently employs about 200 people in Norway and is specialised in commercial shipping and waste management there. PostNord has also expanded in the region via acquisitions and currently operates in Sweden, Finland Norway and Denmark through its logistics arm.

____________________________________

walmartAllianceUNI Apro Graphical & Packaging steps up to organise MNCs employees

Richard Elliott, UNI global union, Director of Communications, 05 November 2012

2nd UNI Apro Graphical & Packaging Multinationals Working Group Meeting, 31 Oct - 1 Nov 2012.

Organising the employees of the increasing number of multinational graphical and packaging companies operating in the Asian and Pacific region into trade unions must be an intergral part of trade union response to the globalisation challenges. This is essential to counter the influence of multinationals and to prevent the race to the bottom. Tommy Andersson, President of UNI Graphical and Packaging Global Union reminded the participants gathered in Bangkok for the second UNI Apro Graphical and Packaging Multinationals Working Group Meeting.

Christopher Ng, UNI Apro Regional Secretary elaborating on the challenges, pointed out the risk posed by the growth of the economic power of ASEAN, China and India driven by neoliberal economic approach and the increasing influence of multinational corporations. He reiterated the need for the global trade union movement to develops joint strategies to influence the asian regional economic integration process to ensure that process are people centered where their economic, human and social rights are respected.

The Working Group meeting chaired by Tommy Andersson, President of UNI Graphical and Packaging Global Union and moderated by UNI Apro Regional Secretary Christopher Ng was participated by twenty two union officials from 9 graphical and packaging trade union from five countries.

The participating unions reported on the challenges confronting workers and trade unions and their response. The meeting also deliberated on the analytical reports by various trade unions about the progress in their campaign to organise and empower the trade unions for Kimberly Clark, Amcor, Gieseke & Devrient (G & D) and SIG. They also reviewed the trade union situation at Tetra Pak.

The Working Group noted the positive development of the campaign to organise the employees of Kimberly Clark in Thailand and Malaysia, Amcor in Thailand, G & D in Malaysia and SIG in Thailand. The effectiveness of the respective unions is manifested by the significant improvement in the terms and condition of empoyment negotiated by the unions and the regular consultation by the management on issues affecting the employees. The two Kimberly Clark Unions attributed it to UNI Graphical and Packing effort in securing the "Joint Statement" with the Kimberly Clark Corporation and their strategic approach to develop partnership relations with the Management.

The Working Group agreed that UNI Apro Graphical and Packaging must make focus effort to intensify contact with the Kimberly Clark Employees' Union in India and Indonesia and provide support to develop their capacity and capability to represent their members.

Lorraine Cassin, Assistant National Secretary, AMWU Printing Division that represent the AMCOR employees in Australia informed the meeting that the AMWU is prepared to provide comprehensive support to unionise Amcor employees all over the world including the negotiation for a global framework agreement between Amcor management and UNI Graphical and Packaging Global Union and the establishment of the UNI Global Alliance of Amcor Unions.

The Working Group appreciate the solidarity support of AMWU and agreed that organising Amcor employees in India, Indonesia and Malaysia will be the prioirity for 2013.

The Working Group noted the potential membership to be organised agreed that mapping be initiated to prepare for the unionisation of employees of G & D, SIG and Tetra Pak in the region.

The Working Group agreed that the experiences of the various unions in organising and developing their trade unions as reported during the meeting should be documented and published. This will enable their experiences to be shared with other unions. It will also serve as record of tangible outcomes of UNI Graphical and Packaging organising campaigns to inspire and motivate other trade unions to initiate and persist in such campaigns.

The Working Group appreciates the solidarity support provided by the Swedish Union of Forestry, Wood and Graphical Workers and the LO TCO Sweden in the campaign to organise the employees of graphical and packaging MNCs operating in the Asian Pacific region.

_________________

walmartAllianceSantander Italy cutting jobs

Richard Elliott, UNI global union, Director of Communications, 05 November 2012

The unions are urging the company to respect the Italian National Collective Agreement.

The Italian Branch of Santander Consumer Bank decided to fire 20 people including employees from single income families with young children, with disabilities and with mortgages and expenses to be paid.

The "best 2012 bank in the world", according to "Euromoney" magazine, behaves in a different way in Italy,
spreading fear and desperation among colleagues.

Santander could - if it wanted to- use many alternatives as listed in The italian National Collective Agreement for the Banking Sector, avoiding the lay offs.

But Santander consciously seeked a hard confrontation.

The response from Workers and Trade Unions, to this arrogance and intransigence, can be summarized in
a single word: "fight" (or "Lucha", "Lotta").

The trade union movement will support the 20 people that are going to be fired, and launch some solidarity actions in defense of these colleagues. UNI is asking Santander Italy to change its conduct and refrain from announcing any further redundancies.

Announcements

South African Labour Bulletin coming Edition

SALB OctNov Emailer (3)

__________________________________

IndustriALL Affiliates take action to STOP PRECARIOUS WORK

http://www.industriall-union.org/sites/default/files/styles/image_w960_h280/public/uploads/images/Carousel/precarious_workbanner_960x280px-3.gif

__________________________________
http://www.itfglobal.org/dhlblog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/TWU-Right-to-Organise.jpg

___________________________

Nedlac Labour Constituency Retirement Funds Conference Notice

05 – 07 NOVEMBER 2012

VALLEY LODGE, MAGALIESBURG

CAUCUS DAY (MONDAY, 05 NOVEMBER 2012)

TIME

AGENDA ITEM

PRESENTER

14H00 – 14H50

Delegates arrive and check in

15h00 – 18h00

Federations’ caucuses

18h00 – 19h00

Dinner (normal)

DAY 1 (TUESDAY, 06 NOVEMBER 2012)

TIME

AGENDA ITEM

PRESENTER

08h45 – 08h55

Opening, welcome and objectives of the conference (DAY 1)

Mr Isaac Ramputa

(PFMPC Labour Convenor)

08h55 – 09h10

Adoption of Conference Programme

Mr Koos Bezuidenhout (FEDUSA)

09h10 – 09h20

Nedlac’s role in the Retirement Funds Reform process

Mr Alistair Smith

(Nedlac Executive Director)

09h20 – 09h50

Address by leadership of the Federations

Mr Joseph Maqhekeni (NACTU)

Mr Koos Bezuidenhout (FEDUSA)

Mr Zwelinzima Vavi (COSATU)

09h50 – 11h00

Presentation on Retirement Funds Reform processes (and discussion)

Mr Olano Makhubela

(National Treasury)

11h00 – 11h20

TEA

11h20 – 13h10

COMMISSIONS (x 4)

(1)  Enabling a better income in retirement

(2)  Preservation, portability and governance for retirement funds

(3)  Incentivising non-retirement savings

(4)  Improving tax incentives for retirement savings

13h10 – 14h00

LUNCH

14h10 – 14h40

COMMISSIONS (CONTINUE)

14h40 – 15h40

COMMISIONS REPORT BACK

Commission Facilitators

15h40 – 16h00

TEA

16h00 – 16h40

Developmental Finance

Mr Stephen Smith (ASISA)

16h40 – 16h55

Address by MMI Holdings

Mr Dan Moyane (MMI)

15h55 – 17h00

Closure (DAY 1)

Mr Malinge Plaatjie (Nactu)

18h30 – 20h30

BRAAI (for dinner)

DAY 2 (WEDNESDAY, 07 NOVEMBER 2012)

TIME

AGENDA ITEM

PRESENTER

08h50 – 09h00

Opening and welcome (DAY 2)

Mr Isaac Ramputa

09h00 – 10h00

Presentation on Retirement Savings for Vulnerable Workers

Ms Wanjiru Kirima (Sustainable Returns for Pensions & Society)

10h00 – 11h00

ESG (Environmental Social & Governance)

Ms Samantha Jagdessi (Sustainable Returns for Pensions & Society)

11h00 – 11h20

TEA

11h20 – 12h00

Formation of Retirement Fund Fiduciary Body

Mr Isaac Ramputa (PFMPC Labour Convenor)

12h00 – 13h00

Resolutions and declaration

13h00 – 13h45

LUNCH

13h45 – 14h00

Delegates depart

_________________________

Living Wage Campaign; Bargaining for a Living Wage

http://www.industriall-union.org/sites/default/files/styles/image_w960_h280/public/uploads/images/Carousel/living-wage_banner-en.gif

____________________________

http://www.world-psi.org/sites/all/themes/public/images/psi_en_sml.png

PSI World Congress in Durban, South Africa; 27-30 November 2012

Norman Mampane (Communications Officer)

Congress of South African Trade Unions

110 Jorissen Cnr Simmonds Street

Braamfontein

2017

P.O.Box 1019

Johannesburg

2000

South Africa

Tel: +27 11 339-4911 or Direct 010 219-1342

Mobile: +27 72 416 3790

E-Mail: mam...@cosatu.org.za

image001.jpg
image009.png