2011年7月7日 06:32:112011/7/7
收件人 cosatu-d...@googlegroups.com

COSATU Today

                Our side of the story

Thursday 7 July 2011

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Contents

1. Workers

1.1 COSATU condemns Pick n Pay retrenchments

1.2 POPCRU condemns police heavy handedness on strikers

1.3 Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality undermines workers

1.4 SAMWU wins court battle to re-open national salary negotiations

1.5 NEHAWU members march to Baragwanath Hospital

2. South Africa

2.1 COSATU and SACP Gauteng bilateral a huge success

2.2 POPCRU to visit an orphanage on Mandela Day

2.3 NEHAWU wants heads to roll at HPCSA

3. International

3.1 SABC does not have to apologise - Israel can be called an "apartheid" state

3.2 Egypt independent trade unions endorse BDS

3.3 SAMWU sends well wishes to the historic Africa 1 Aid Convoy

3.4 Swaziland lawyers bay for Chief Justice’s blood

1. Workers

1.1 COSATU condemns Pick n Pay retrenchments

Patrick Craven, COSATU National Spokesperson, 7 July 2011

COSATU has expressed shock at the Pick n Pay’s announcement yesterday that it is contemplating the retrenchment of around 3137 workers in terms of Section 189A and 189 (3) of the Labour Relations Act, “due to operational requirements at the company within the non-management bargaining unit”.

COSATU will back any action that our affiliate SACCAWU takes to save all these jobs. We cannot afford to lose still more jobs at a time when unemployment is still a national crisis.

Pick n Pay Operations Director Neal Quirk says that this decision is in line with the major problem facing the Company in respect of declining profitability and the loss of market share.

COSATU believes however that the move is a response to the threat posed by the takeover of Massmart stores by the union-bashing multilateral, Walmart. We predicted that this would lead to retrenchments in other retail companies, as they struggle to compete with this global giant in the retail sector, and Pick n Pay is proving us to have been right.

This attack on jobs at will strengthen our determination to stop the Walmart invasion, which threatens jobs not only in Massmart stores, but in other retailers like Pick n Pay, and in South African manufacturing industry, as Walmart uses its domination of the market to procure goods from all over the world, regardless of the conditions under which workers produce them.

COSATU is taking forward its application under Section 77 of the Labour Relations Act and stands ready to mobilise its members in action in defence of jobs and trade union rights.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

popcru logo.jpg               1.2 POPCRU condemns police heavy handedness on strikers

Norman Mampane, POPCRU National Spokesperson, 7 July 2011

POPCRU has noted unwarranted ill-treatment of striking workers by the South African Police Services during the recent legal strikes called by National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa [NUMSA].

The backbone of a strong Trade Union resides in the respect of the Right to Strike by Employers in terms of Section 64[1] of the LRA [as amended], and we call upon the South African Police Service to disallow any abuse and/or use of the police by intransigent employers, to solve labour related disputes and equally call upon all striking workers to refrain from intimidations and/or destroying of property.

We have welcomed a full implementation of Living Wage Campaign by Chemical, Energy, Paper, Printing, Wood and Allied Workers Union [CEPPWAWU] and NUMSA strikes are indicative that worker’s patience is reigning thin on a daily basis towards achieving a ‘real living wage’.

POPCRU further contents that the latest strikes are a necessary and conscious synergy to heighten an alternative path to build COSATU engines.

A Living Wage Campaign is a revolutionary vehicle to eradicate poverty and inequalities and also dislodge the concept of the ‘working poor’ in South Africa and elsewhere.

1.3 Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality undermines workers

Tahir Sema, SAMWU National Spokesperson, 7 July 2011

SAMWU has expressed its disappointment at the way in which the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality continues to disregard and undermine the largest Local Government Union in relation to the handling of key workplace matters in this Municipality.

We have learnt after the last council meeting last week, which a new organogram has been passed by council and yet procedurally and in the context of promoting healthy work place relations, SAMWU should have been consulted on this matter. Given the implications and effect this will have on workers.

As SAMWU we don’t understand this haphazard, unilateral restructuring. We seriously expect more from this Municipality and the manner in which it is conducting itself.  We have written to the Municipality but we have not received any response. We will develop our own approach and programme to reject and fight this tendency, involving our members on the ground.

Secondly, it is public knowledge that a new Municipal Manager Appointment process is underway. The preliminary observations we have made in this regard, is that the process is likewise handled in a very clumsy manner, which might end up in the municipality not appointing the most suitable, capable and knowledgeable incumbent, given the huge challenges this municipality has undergone the past two years, moving from one crisis to the other.

We need a Municipal Manager who is not only suitable in terms of qualification but a person who is also capable of turning this municipality around.

The people of this metro deserve better than what they are currently subjected to and for this metro to survive this storm, we request the Honorable Mayor to be decisive, we will support him to ensure we get the best capable and deserving Municipal Manager who will assist this Metro.

We are also aware of the current “talk” of who will be the next Municipal Manager and Deputy Municipal Manager, in line with the latest so called approved organogram.

As SAMWU we are going to fight with all the power we have, to defend the municipality with regards to the corrupt drivers of the micro-management of the municipality, which will also include mobilization of COSATU affiliates and civil society.

SAMWU Logo

1.4 SAMWU wins court battle to re-open national salary negotiations

Tahir Sema, SAMWU National Spokesperson, 7 July 2011

SAMWU is extremely pleased with the arbitration award it received yesterday which confirms the union’s view that it is entitled to re-open wage negotiations for 2011/12 for the Local Government sector.

Employer body SALGA’s (South African Local Government Association) delaying tactics failed once again. This comes after a number of costly failed court interdicts and other tactics employed by SALGA to deal with labour relations in the sector, a waste and utter disregard of public funds.

Our demand stands at 18% or R2000, whichever is greater. SALGA’s paltry offer of 6% is rejected with contempt by our members.

Inflation continues to move upwards whilst basics such as; electricity, petrol and food show increases far higher than the Consumer Price Index. These issues have a major impact on workers' spending power and a considerable increase is necessary in order to ensure that workers keep their heads above water.

We also support our comrades in the mining and engineering sectors who are already on strike calling for above inflation increases. We believe this is an important step in pursuing a decent Living Wage, which was re-emphasised at COSATU’s recent Central Committee meeting.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NEHAWU Logo

1.5 NEHAWU members march to Baragwanath Hospital

Sizwe Pamla, NEHAWU National Spokesperson, 7 July 2011

NEHAWU members at the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital will be marching tomorrow on the 08th of July 2011 to the offices of the HOD to handover a memorandum of demands.

The union has been struggling with a number of issues at the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital and has on numerous occasions tried to engage the management without success. Unilateral decisions by the management have demoralized the workforce and also negatively affected service delivery.

This management has refused to engage or consult with labour instead they have been mischievously campaigning for the establishment of workplace forums as a way of isolating the unions.

Our union is disturbed by the fact that the hospital has continually failed to comply with the HR policies when filling posts and have continuously forced auxiliary nurses to work in the kitchen in contravention of the South African Nursing Council’s {SANC} requirements.

Despite Chris Hani Baragwanath being one of the biggest hospitals in the country servicing millions of people the management has failed to put together a comprehensive and clear recruitment strategy to fill all funded vacant posts.

The conceited Bara management has been bungling from one crisis to another and their ill-thought and naïve decisions have negatively affected the morale of the workforce and derailed service delivery. Their latest astonishing decision was to close the maternity kitchen with effect from the 06th of June 2011 without consulting the stakeholders.

NEHAWU is very worried about the negative impact that the poor management of this hospital is having on the workers and the working class communities who are serviced by this hospital. We have therefore resolved that through our service delivery campaign we are going to make a stand and demand that workers and working class communities treated with respect and given the quality service they deserve.

The details of the march are as follows:

Date             :         08 July 2011

Venue           :         Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, Recreational Hall

Time             :         11h30

 2. South Africa

SACP logo

2.1 COSATU and SACP Gauteng bilateral a huge success

Dumisani Dakile, COSATU and Jacob Mamabolo, SACP, 6 July 2011

The South African Communist Party (SACP) and the Congress of the South African Trade Unions (COSATU) Gauteng Province held a bilateral meeting on Sunday, 3rd July 2011 in Johannesburg. This meeting took place following a successful SACP and COSATU National Bilateral meeting and a successful COSATU Central Committee meeting (held on the 27-30 June 2011). The bilateral meeting focused on the following areas:

· Assessment of the 2011 Local government elections;
· Challenges facing the working class and poor;
· Assessment of the state of the alliance in Gauteng province;
· Assessment of the state in the province;
· Development of a joint programme.

The meeting welcomed the overwhelming victory of the ANC in the May 2011 Local Government elections, retaining the control of eleven out of the twelve municipalities (with margins ranging from 55% to 75%). This victory is attributed to a well coordinated alliance elections machinery, especially the SACP Red Brigades and COSATU volunteers. This set a basis to prepare for the 2014 Provincial and National Government Elections hence we need to draw lessons and deliver on the needs of our people.

As we continue to celebrate the election victory, we should remain vigilant and united as the Alliance to address the poor living conditions of the working class that still reflect and bear the features and contradictions of colonialism of a special type.

The meeting identified poverty, unemployment and inequality as major structural challenges facing the working class in Gauteng. Adding to this crisis, the working class is also faced with increased commodity prices such as food, transport, water and electricity. Lately, we also have to face the proposed tolling of Gauteng roads, emanating from the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project.

The meeting rejected the e-tolling system because of its negative impact on the lives of the working class and the poor in the Province. The parties further agreed to develop a common programme of action to confront the introduction of the e-tolling system. The meeting resolved to call on the South African Government led by the African National Congress and the Alliance to reject this neo-liberal project informed and driven by the profit needs of the tenderpreneurs.

The Bilateral discussed the state of the Alliance in Gauteng and the challenges it faces. We noted the lack of implementation of Alliance programmes and resolutions, in particular the 2010 March Ten Point Plan and the principles underpinning the Alliance Framework Document. We resolved to convene the Alliance Economic Summit to discuss the development trajectory of Gauteng since the dawn of democracy and to identify and expose the class forces benefited from such development trajectory.

We have also the emergence of a strange tendency to attack workers in public, in particular SADTU and SAMWU. We strongly believe that our province should preserve the traditions of the Alliance to avoid public spats and raise whatever a component of the Alliance may have in the proper structures of the Alliance. The meeting further resolved to adopt the following as part of their programme of action.

· The implementation the alliance ten point programme as adopted in March 2010;
· Ensuring that the alliance structures are functioning at all levels;
· Repositioning of the SACP in the province to work closely and intensify ideological work among COSATU affiliates and all progressive formations.
· COSATU to mobilise its constituency to support and participate  in the 90th Anniversary Celebrations of the SACP, especially the planned Anniversary Lecture to be addressed by the SACP General Secretary, Comrade Blade Nzimande on the 17 July 2011.

We await in earnest the outcomes of the various investigations on corruption that were conducted in the various municipalities, especially the three Metro’s of Johannesburg, Tshwane and Ekurhuleni. We believe the conclusion of this investigations and the public release of their findings will pave the way for better service delivery following the recent local government elections.

We call on newly elected Mayors to address and improve the working conditions of the workers as a basis to improve service delivery for the broader working class. We also call on the Department of Education to improve the state of education by working closely with SADTU and other progressive components of the mass democratic movement such as COSAS and SASCO.

The bilateral noted the resolution of the NUMSA and CEPPWAWU to embark on a strike action to push for workers demand. The bilateral fully support and endorse the strike action by workers and call upon all the progressive forces to support these workers and their demands are fair and just. COSATU and the SACP will in the course of action mobilize the communities to support the strike action.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

popcru logo.jpg

               2.2 POPCRU to visit an orphanage on Mandela Day

Norman Mampane, POPCRU National Spokesperson, 7 July 2011

POPCRU will celebrate Mandela Day at Sithabile Child and Youth Care Centre at Benoni;an Orphanage housing around 65 Children, ranging from the ages of 03 months to 18 years. We will be collaborating with the Safety and Security Sectoral Bargaining Council [SSSBC] to make a difference in the lives of our fellow brothers and sisters and also enhancing social cohesion.

The event will be scheduled as follows:

Date: 18th July 2011

Venue: Sithabile Child and Youth Care Centre

             Benoni

Time: 09H00

Activities:

  • Hand-Over of Groceries, Bedding and other commodities
  • Cleaning of the Yard
  • Making Gardens and Planting Trees
  • Motivational Talks
  • Playing Games and Art making exercises

The event will be duly supported by POPCRU National Office, Gauteng Provincial Office and SSSBC.

We have embraced the spirit of “What can I do on Mandela Day?” by refurbishing a Police Station at Mothutlung, North West last year through practical contributions to our communities.

Individuals and/or Organizations willing to participate on the identified project may join by contacting the following person[s] and/or a Drop of Donations at POPCRU House,01 Marie Road; Auckland Park Gauteng

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NEHAWU Logo

2.3 NEHAWU wants heads to roll at HPCSA

Sizwe Pamla, NEHAWU National Spokesperson, 7 July 2011

NEHAWU has demanded the immediate removal  of the Acting Chief Executive Officer{CEO] of the Health Professions Council of South Africa{HPCSA},Ms Marela O’Reilly and the Chief Operations Officer{COO} ,Tshepo Boikanyo for inept management of the institution and their failure to transform the organization.

The union also demands that the appointment process be managed by the National Department of Health to give it credibility.

This institution has been struggling administratively since the departure of the former CEO/Registrar Adv B. Mkhize followed by the council’s decision to appoint internal staff members to act in these positions. The first thing that they did was to sideline the union during the interview processes so as to enable themselves to violate the rules in order to appoint sometimes unqualified people as long as they are willing to push their corrupt practices.

They viewed the healthy relationship that existed at the time between Health Professions Council of South Africa and the unions with disdain and suspicion because it was frustrating their activities. Managers undermined the Constitution and the LRA provisions relating to the freedom of association when they started purging all those workers who were affiliated to trade unions.

They vigorously campaigned on behalf of sweetheart staff associations who were co-opted to make sure that they look the other way on matters of nepotism and corruption.

Our shopstewards and members were victimized and subjected to high levels of intimidation when they raised issues of concern. Real transformation stalled and mismanagement was the order of the day with managers showing favouritism, discrimination, racist tendencies including male managers demanding sexual favours from female employees in exchange for promotions.

These issues amongst others led to high staff turnover as employees felt unsafe under the hands of a vindictive management that went on a rampage. The silence of the council members has been deafening and all attempts to solicit their intervention have proved futile which is why we are expressing a vote of no confidence in the entire council in particular the Chairperson.

The council has dismally failed to transform the organization which is why it is not surprising to see that the management has decided to go on a strategic planning session while workers are demonstrating in the workplaces.HPCSA has been using the same firm of auditors for about 20years for the reasons best known to them and the council seem not to see anything wrong with all the malpractice even where evidence has been given to them of gross mismanagement.

NEHAWU demands the investigation on all tenders issued since 2007 and we are prepared to provide evidence regarding the irregularities done by the members of the tender committee, including the 2009 salary benchmarking process which only benefited the management.NEHAWU has resolved to participate in lunchtime pickets as a build up to a possible march and strike action if the department of Health fails to intervene.

 3. International

3.1 SABC does not have to apologise - Israel can be called an "apartheid" state

In a bold ruling defending the right to freedom of expression and political speech, the South African media watchdog, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), unequivocally dismissed all complaints relating to a radio advert on 5fm that called for the boycott of Israel and compared Israel to Apartheid South Africa.

In February this year, during the South African tour of the international dance band, Faithless, a radio message featuring Dave Randall (lead guitarist of Faithless) was broadcast on the popular SABC radio station, 5fm. The advert was in support of a local group, the South African Artists Against Apartheid collective. In the advert Randall says:

"Hi, I'm Dave Randall from Faithless. Twenty years ago I would not have played in apartheid South Africa; today I refuse to play in Israel. Be on the right side of history. Don't entertain apartheid. Join the international boycott of Israel. I support southafricanartistsagainstapartheid.com."

In an official complaint to the ASA, the South African Jewish Board of Deputies (SAJBD) attacked the radio advert and alleged that the view expressed that Israel is an Apartheid State is "untrue, not supported by any evidence… and contains a lie which amounts to false propaganda”.

The SAJBD sought an order requesting the SABC to apologise for broadcasting the radio advert

Today the ASA dismissed each and every complaint made by the SAJBD against the advert and instead ruled in favor of the submissions made by SA Artists Against Apartheid, who were represented by Webber Wentzel Attorneys. The ASA also refused to provide any sanctions in favor of the SAJBD.

Reggae DJ, "The Admiral”, and member of the SA Artists Against Apartheid collective, welcomed today’s decision:

“The ASA decision is significant due to our own history of Apartheid. The decision sends a clear message to the Zionist lobby that the time has come for an end to the baseless accusations of “discrimination” and “hate speech” whenever criticism of Israel is voiced. Calling Israel an Apartheid state is legitimate because Israel practices Apartheid. The boycott of such an oppressive regime should be supported as it was in our own Anti-Apartheid freedom struggle.”

South African Palestine solidarity groups have celebrated the ASA ruling claiming it as a “legal victory” for the boycott of Israel movement. Fatima Vally from the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) Working Group said in a press release:

“This is the second major boycott of Israel decision coming from South Africa in less than six months. The first being the historic decision by the University of Johannesburg to sever its Israeli ties. The boycott of Israel campaign is the new Anti-Apartheid Movement, and its growing rapidly.”

The SA Artists Against Apartheid collective welcomes this positive decision, an adverse ruling could have had detrimental consequences for freedom of expression in general, and Palestine solidarity in particular.

3.2 Egypt independent trade unions endorse BDS

Representative of the Egyptian Independent Union Federation: "We call on the global trade union movement to cut links with the Histadrut and to support the Palestinian Trade Union Coalition for BDS".

Kamal Abu Aita, representative of the Egyptian Independent Union Federation (EIUF) which was recently formed in Tahrir Square during the revolution, confirmed yesterday that the EIUF rejects any attempt to "normalise" relations with Israel. In a speech in London to hundreds of activists from the campaign for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) against Israel, Abu Aita also welcomed the formation of the Palestinian Trade Union Coalition for BDS (PTUC-BDS) and called on the international trade union movement to join the coalition.

Abu Aita said: "The Egyptian Independent Union Federation has a very clear position and that is one of solidarity with the Palestinian Arab people, support for their right to a state in the whole of their land and support for their right to use all forms of resistance against the Zionist state. The EIUF announces its rejection of all forms of normal relations with the racist, settler Zionist state and we will not co-operate with any of its official or trade union bodies because they are all connected to the Zionist occupation of our land. It is impossible for us to work with this racist regime, and it is vital to build a movement of humanity which aims to get rid of racist regimes against the world, just as we got rid of the Apartheid regime in South Africa.

The Egyptian revolution opened the door wide for our people to express their rejection of the Zionist state. From the beginning, the revolution has worked in the interests of the Palestinians, by stopping the export of Egyptian gas to the Zionists, and opening the border crossings. Egyptian youth besieged the embassy of our enemy and demanded the expulsion of the ambassador.

We reject any relationship with the Histadrut because it is part of this racist regime. We call on all friendly unions to boycott the Histadrut as part of the campaign to get rid of racist regimes all over the world."

Omar Barghouti, one of the founders of the Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (PACBI), said:

"The support of the Egyptian independent unions, represented by their federation, for the Palestinian Boycott Campaign is a source of pride for us, just as we are proud of Egypt's leadership in the march of freedom from imperialism both old and new. We look forward to the return of the spirit to all the Arab peoples struggling for freedom and social justice, and to break away from dependency on imperialist domination."

SAMWU Logo

3.3 SAMWU sends well wishes to the historic Africa 1 Aid Convoy

Tahir Sema, SAMWU National Spokesperson, 7 July 2011

SAMWU has sent its well wishes to the Africa 1 Aid Convoy, which is to set sail and travel by land to the besieged land of Palestine on the 14th of July, bearing much needed aid and medical supplies.

The African continent will witness the historic crossing of the first land-based humanitarian aid relief convoy that will journey from Cape Town, South Africa, to the besieged and occupied Palestinian territory of Gaza. The Africa 1 Aid Convoy, an initiative spearheaded by the South African based Al-Quds Foundation and supported by a host of well-wishing civil society organizations and charities will aim to gather support and spread awareness about the plight of the Palestinian people, as it journeys through Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Sudan, Egypt and finally into Gaza.

The convoy is expected to carry a range of humanitarian material as determined by the people of Gaza. This will be made up of electrical generators, medical supplies, water detoxification units, stationery, and educational material and left hand drive vehicles.

As the General Secretary of our federation Comrade Zwelinzima Vavi said, at the COSATU Central Committee held this month; “We have a moral and political duty to the people of Palestine and not those who howl at us daily for standing on the side of justice. It is immoral to be neutral when justice is on trial.”

SAMWU’s Central Executive Committee meeting in June 2010 urged and we continue to urge all unions and civil society organisations to join in crucial campaigns in support of the people of Palestine and also to take whatever action they can, to further isolate Israeli Apartheid. SAMWU believes that we must be a positive part of the solution to the terrible humanitarian catastrophe that faces the Palestinian people.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SSN FRONT

                3.4 Swaziland lawyers bay for Chief Justice’s blood

Lucky Lukhele, SSN Spokesperson, 7 July 2011

The Law Society of Swaziland took a rare but very bold step yesterday by calling upon the Judicial Service Commission to remove the Chief Justice, Michael Ramodibedi, for his involvement in the continuous breakdown of the administration of Justice in the country.

According to the Times of Swaziland, the law society held a meeting yesterday at Mountain Inn, a hotel in Mbabane, where they had many issues to discuss and debate. This is where they took the resolution to seek the removal of the Chief Justice.

Another key resolution taken at that meeting was that lawyers would boycott all courts in the country on Friday, as a way of protesting against the administrative failure of the Chief Justice.

While the king and his henchman, Barnabas Sibusiso Dlamini, are notorious for their disregard of the judicial system, never in the history of the land post independence has a Chief Justice colluded with the administrative arm of government in such an open and brash manner? This is why the lawyers are so livid.

The call for the removal of the Chief Justice was endorsed by civic societies in a press statement issued by the centre for Human Rights. The Swaziland Solidarity Network also adds its voice to that chorus. The Chief Justice is failing his profession and is a disgrace to it. He must go home. Iya ko gae, Ntate!

image001.jpg
image019.png
image020.png
image021.jpg