Fedco Seeds is still a cooperative

crl...@fedcoseeds.com

Jan 16, 2010, 12:16:34 AM1/16/10
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jane Livingston and others in Cooperative Maine,
Point of information: Fedco Seeds always has been and is still a Cooperative. We
are a 60% consumer/40% worker cooperative hybrid, although we operate more like a
worker cooperative than like a hybrid. Laddie Lushin helped write our
incorporation papers and by-laws many years ago. We have sent out
patronage/worker dividends every year now for many years. I am not active in
Cooperative Maine though I still am on the mailing list, really am too busy to
get involved in anything else, especially since I live half in Mass. and half in
Maine now. Fedco has grown a lot and now does over $3.6 million dollars sales a
year so it is a lot to keep up with. Wonder how the misinformation got out that
we are no longer a coop--any ideas on where you heard that? --cr lawn

On Fri 01/15/10 8:18 AM , "Jane Livingston" jane_li...@myfairpoint.net sent:
>  Re: CDF Responds to Massive Earthquake in Haiti Hi Jon,
> Thanks for getting back to me, and as a longtime CU member and
> champion, thank you for responding to this enormous humanitarian
> need. I am cc'ing this to Cooperative Maine so anyone on that list
> who is a CU member can access the link. What a great URL. Another
> reason I am forwarding this. Perhaps we should consider the /Maine
> extension... And perhaps the CU League would like to have someone
> (maybe a CUDE contact?) sit in on the monthly phone calls (next one is
> this coming Tuesday morning). Cooperative Maine is an
> all-voluntary effort by an extraordinary group of people spread
> across the state, committed to supporting and growing the cooperative
> economy. Seems like a natural fit for the League. Best regards,
> Jane Livingston ----- ORIGINAL MESSAGE ----- FROM: Jon Paradise
> TO: Jane Livingston SENT: Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:01 PM
> SUBJECT: Re: CDF Responds to Massive Earthquake in Haiti
> Hi Jane -
> I am well. The Maine CU League, in partnership with the National
> Credit Union Foundation, today activated its online disaster giving
> site at www.cuaid.coop/maine
>
> Our member credit unions are referring members to the site and we
> have a link on our homepage at www.mainecul.org.
> On 1/14/10 12:29 PM, "Jane Livingston" wrote:
>
> Hi Jon,
>
> How are you these days?
>
> Are US cerdit unions doing anything like this?
>
> I edit a newsletter for the Master of Management, Co-operatives and
> Credit Unions international post-graduate program and would like to
> put a bulletin together for our listserve.
>
> Best Regards,
> Jane Livingston (Veazie, Maine)
> jane_li...@myfairpoint.net
> (207) 947-4117

Jane Livingston

Jan 16, 2010, 9:06:01 AM1/16/10
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
Hi CR and all
Apologies for the error. Maybe the rumor has its roots in the fact that
Fedco began as a 100% worker-owned cooperative, and is now owned primarily
by the consumers.
Okay, I have to sign off and go get my Fedco seed order in the mail!
Best, Jane

Paul Sheridan

Jan 16, 2010, 12:36:26 PM1/16/10
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
CR:

"Wonder how the misinformation got out that we are no longer a coop--any ideas on where you heard that? --cr lawn "

While I cannot say how the misinformation started, I can say that it is fairly widespread...sorry to say.

I remember sitting in a meeting of my fellow board members at Belfast Co-op a few years back, and the same question was asked.

Today, I gave another look at Fedco's seed catalog and could only find the word "co-op" on the back cover, as part of the logo.  Inside, despite lengthly text on a variety of subjects, there is nothing about Fedco being a co-op.  Your website does give more background on your co-op status, however.  But I, for one, would like to know more about your hybrid status.  The catalog and website both seem to be silent on how one becomes a consumer member, for example.

So I am suggesting that a first step is to come out of the closet about your co-op status, and proclaim it loudly, in larger type, several times in your catalogs, and on the bottom/top of every web page.

And then poll the workers/members of Fedco to see who might be interested in a bit of involvement with co-ops within the state:  Rochdale principle #6: “Co-operatives serve their members most effectively and strengthen the co-operative movement by working together through local, national, regional and international structures.”

I hear you about being overworked, but you do list a good dozen or more people in the catalog (maybe all are not worker members, but simply listed for credit as artists?).

Thanks, and looking forward to a growing and healthy Fedco, and the co-operative movement!

Paul Sheridan
member, Co-operative Maine

Erbin Crowell

Jan 16, 2010, 12:59:24 PM1/16/10
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
As a consumer member of FEDCO and co-operator, I’m confused by this perception that FEDCO is somehow not a co-op or had hidden its identity.  This perception does seem to have eroded the support of some food co-ops, as I increasingly see conventional seed company products on the shelves, despite FEDCO’s quality, price and co-op identity.

I’d like to offer some information from FEDCO’s website: http://www.fedcoseeds.com/about_fedco.htm

We are a cooperative, one of the  few seed companies so organized in the United States. Because we  do not have an individual owner or beneficiary, profit is not our  primary goal. Consumers own 60% of the cooperative and worker members  40%. Consumer and worker members share proportionately in the cooperative’s  profits through our annual patronage dividends.

Our cooperative structure gives workers a real  voice in running the company and a real stake in its success, enabling  us to attract and retain talented workers. Year after year our staff  turnover has been very low.

Our  company culture derives from our history as a cooperative.  Our first customers were other cooperatives and we developed  many of our procedures specifically to serve them. Although  we have diversified, a significant proportion of our business  still comes from cooperative or group orders. Our dedicated  group order coordinators are partners in our business. We  encourage you to make cooperation work for you by forming  ordering groups to take advantage of our generous volume discounts.  It is easy to form a group: get together with friends, neighbors,  co-workers or other members of your club, grange, county or  state organic chapter, church or coop. Click here <http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/groups.htm>   for more information.

The cooperative ethic recognizes that we are all  in this together. What is good for our managers should be good for  our workers and good for our customers and vice versa.

A number of years ago, I inquired with FEDCO about consumer membership, received a prompt response, and joined.  While I would love for FEDCO to use it’s catalog more actively to promote it’s model, and we could all improve our operations as co-ops, they don’t hide the fact that they are a co-op – as shown above, for example.  They also have a special fund that provides grants to co-op efforts, among other things.

I’d also love to have FEDCO more actively involved in the wider movement.  As a co-op that has been creative in incorporating both workers and consumers in it’s structure — and operating successfully for many years — FEDCO may have some important lessons to share with other efforts to support the growth of the movement.

In Co-operation,
Erbin Crowell

knox dem

Jan 19, 2010, 8:22:10 AM1/19/10
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, purists at work. We have worked with Fedco for years a a friend ,not a member. They are far from me or we would join and hang with them. They are real.
 On a point of information, Any with open minds might try reading the new book by Stewart Brand[ from Whole Earth Cat]   "Whole Earth Manifesto"
 This might challenge some opinions some might have and suggest NEW WAYS OF WORKING TOGETHER.
 Call your friends in Mass and encourage them to vote.