Video

Nic

Oct 21, 2009, 12:10:21 AM10/21/09
to Concerto Digital Signage
Is there any plan to add the capability to display video within
Concerto?

Brian M

Oct 21, 2009, 9:45:01 AM10/21/09
to Concerto Digital Signage
We've done some testing of video capabilities within Concerto, and its
definitely something we're interested in adding in a future release.

Being web-based, manually adding videos to the system can be done
pretty easily by inserting the appropriate HTML code to embed a video
and ensuring the players have the appropriate plugins installed if
necessary. I've ran some tests by inserting the following HTML
directly into the content table as a proof-of-concept:

<video width="720" height="486" autoplay="autoplay">
<source src="http://developmentserver/Sample.ogv" type="video/ogg" />
<source src="http://developmentserver/Sample.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
</video>

We use Firefox, so there is native support for the HTML 5 <video>
element to play back videos without any extra plugins (like Adobe
Flash). The caveat to this system being that in comparison to images,
videos don't resize quickly so rendering versions that are well-sized
to all the different places a video could be shown is fairly complex.
I haven't ran any tests myself, but using a plugin like Flash or VLC
might make it possible to handle the resizing automatically on the
player side of things.