[compass] CarbonCore

Brajeshwar

May 6, 2010, 8:38:34 AM5/6/10
to compas...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Was just curious.
What does this mean, "Warning: Unable to load CarbonCore. FSEvents
will be unavailable."
I'm on Mac OS X 10.6.3

Regards,
Brajeshwar

Chris Eppstein

May 6, 2010, 2:16:35 PM5/6/10
to compas...@googlegroups.com
CarbonCore is a Ruby library wrapper for the macintosh carbon library. It comes with your OS, but there are times when it is not accessible. For instance, if you use RVM it might not be able to find it.

The reason I tell you about it is that when polling for changes, the response times are slower and it will eat up your laptop battery if you leave it running.

It would be good if we had a FAQ that told us how to fix it, but I don't know what those steps are.

chris

Steve Eley

May 6, 2010, 3:34:48 PM5/6/10
to Compass
On May 6, 2:16 pm, Chris Eppstein <ch...@eppsteins.net> wrote:

> It would be good if we had a FAQ that told us how to fix it, but I don't
> know what those steps are.

Here's one approach:
http://github.com/svoop/autotest-fsevent

Have Fun,
Steve Eley
http://escapepod.org

millisami

Jun 17, 2010, 8:03:30 PM6/17/10
to Compass
Has anyone find the solution for this topic??
That autotest-fsevent is for autotest, so how can we port that to work
with compass watch as well??

On May 7, 12:34 am, Steve Eley <sfe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 6, 2:16 pm, Chris Eppstein <ch...@eppsteins.net> wrote:
>

> > It would be good if we had a FAQ that told us how to fix it, but I don't
> > know what those steps are.
>
> Here's one approach:http://github.com/svoop/autotest-fsevent
>
> Have Fun,
> Steve Eleyhttp://escapepod.org

Brandon Mathis

Jun 17, 2010, 8:19:33 PM6/17/10
to Compass
I had this come up. It was because I was using an RVM for ruby instead
of the default OS X ruby. OS X comes with CarbonCore which lets you
access special Apple features like FSEvents. RVM doesn't come with
that, so you have to install it manually. Here's what I did and it
fixed the problem.

Run this in your terminal:
rvm install 1.8.7 --debug --reconfigure -C --enable-shared=yes

Then download and untar: (Don't get the latest, use the one I'm
linking to)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rubycocoa/files/RubyCocoa/1.0.0/RubyCocoa-1.0.0.tar.gz/download

Open the RubyCocoa directory in terminal and type:

ruby install.rb config --build-universal=yes
ruby install.rb setup
sudo ruby install.rb install

(You may not need to use sudo, but I did)

I hope that works for you. If you're not using RVM I have no idea.

millisami

Jun 18, 2010, 5:25:43 AM6/18/10
to Compass
Hi Brandon!
Can you plz clear it a bit? Which ruby 1.8.7 is installed with the
command? the system ruby or other path level of ruby or the one that
is already installed with rvm??
I am just being on safe side coz I've broken rvm several times
whenever I tried to do some hack with rvm rubies and I definitely dont
want to screw up the rvm again!

On Jun 18, 5:19 am, Brandon Mathis <bran...@imathis.com> wrote:
> I had this come up. It was because I was using an RVM for ruby instead
> of the default OS X ruby. OS X comes with CarbonCore which lets you
> access special Apple features like FSEvents. RVM doesn't come with
> that, so you have to install it manually. Here's what I did and it
> fixed the problem.
>
> Run this in your terminal:
> rvm install 1.8.7 --debug --reconfigure -C --enable-shared=yes
>
> Then download and untar: (Don't get the latest, use the one I'm
> linking to)
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/rubycocoa/files/RubyCocoa/1.0.0/RubyC...

Brandon Mathis

Jun 18, 2010, 9:03:38 AM6/18/10
to compas...@googlegroups.com
This should install your RVM with options that let it work with RubyCocoa. This shouldn't affect your system ruby.

- Brandon Mathis (via iPhone)