[ANN] Compass v0.11.alpha.0 released

Chris Eppstein

Nov 16, 2010, 12:09:38 AM11/16/10
to compas...@googlegroups.com
The Antares release is coming along nicely. I took some time off from work and had about 4 dedicated days this last week to work on compass.

This release is a preview release for those who would like to test drive the new features and provide testing and feedback.

Summary of changes:
* Blueprint Port upgraded to Blueprint v1.0
* Major CSS3 Module Updates to Shadows, Gradients, and Transforms
* Better Rails 3 Integration
* New layout module: Stretching

The Antares docs are here: http://beta.compass-style.org/docs/. Thanks to a suggestion from John Long, each page on the docs has comments now. If you see a problem in the docs, or have a suggestion for how to make that page better, please leave a comment. You can also add information about browser support, tricks, tips, etc.

The part that I'm most happy with in this release are the new gradients: https://gist.github.com/676260

Thanks to Irina Dumitrascu, we now have SVG based gradients, which makes the compass gradient mixins now support IE9, Webkit, Firefox, and Opera. And thanks to some clever coding on my part, the gradients are now declared with functions and applied to different properties with mixins. Just like in CSS, but without any prefix hell.

Compass is great because of fine people like yourself trying things and reporting bugs. It's easy to upgrade and then downgrade again if things don't work out for you. So don't be scared: http://beta.compass-style.org/docs/tutorials/upgrading/im-scared/

If you find any bugs, please report them: https://github.com/chriseppstein/compass/issues

Thanks to all the contributors in this release: Eric & Brandon, Irina, Steve Wong, and other who contributed bug fixes and doc patches.

Here's what the future holds: https://gist.github.com/670425

Happy Styling!
Chris

Maxim Lacrima

Nov 16, 2010, 12:50:11 AM11/16/10
to compas...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Thanks for your work.

I have just upgraded to v0.11.
When creating new project using blueprint ($ compass create myproj
--using blueprint) there is warning message:

WARNING: It is no longer necessary to pass any argument to the
blueprint-scaffolding mixin.
on line 22 of
/home/maxim/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/gems/compass-0.11.alpha.0/frameworks/blueprint/stylesheets/blueprint/_scaffolding.scss,
in `blueprint-scaffolding'
from line 20 of /home/maxim/projects/client_xch/sass/screen.scss

So I think the default screen.scss should be updated.

> --

with regards,
Maxim

Chris Eppstein

Nov 16, 2010, 1:51:22 AM11/16/10
to Compass
I probably should have noted that you need to install the gem a little
differently:

$ (sudo) gem install compass --pre

chris

Maxim Lacrima

Nov 16, 2010, 2:57:23 AM11/16/10
to compas...@googlegroups.com
I reinstalled compass. Anyway:

maxim@maxim-laptop:~$ compass version
Compass 0.11.alpha.0
Copyright (c) 2008-2010 Chris Eppstein
Released under the MIT License.
maxim@maxim-laptop:~$ cd projects/
maxim@maxim-laptop:~/projects$ compass create myproj --using blueprint
directory myproj/
directory myproj/images/
directory myproj/sass/
directory myproj/sass/partials/
directory myproj/stylesheets/
create myproj/config.rb
create myproj/sass/screen.scss
create myproj/sass/partials/_base.scss
create myproj/sass/print.scss
create myproj/sass/ie.scss
create myproj/images/grid.png
create myproj/stylesheets/ie.css

WARNING: It is no longer necessary to pass any argument to the
blueprint-scaffolding mixin.
on line 22 of

/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/compass-0.11.alpha.0/frameworks/blueprint/stylesheets/blueprint/_scaffolding.scss,
in `blueprint-scaffolding'
from line 20 of /home/maxim/projects/myproj/sass/screen.scss

create myproj/stylesheets/screen.css
create myproj/stylesheets/print.css

Chris Eppstein

Nov 16, 2010, 3:12:28 AM11/16/10
to compas...@googlegroups.com

barraponto

Nov 28, 2010, 7:11:36 AM11/28/10
to Compass
beta.compass-style.org/docs is down.

On Nov 16, 6:12 am, Chris Eppstein <ch...@eppsteins.net> wrote:
> Thanks. I'll get it fixed.https://github.com/chriseppstein/compass/issues/issue/221
> > compass-user...@googlegroups.com<compass-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/compass-users?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > with regards,
> > Maxim
>
> > --
> > .

barraponto

Nov 28, 2010, 7:24:30 AM11/28/10
to Compass
oh, just noticed
http://beta.compass-style.org/reference/compass/

congratuations on the new theme.

On Nov 16, 6:12 am, Chris Eppstein <ch...@eppsteins.net> wrote:
> Thanks. I'll get it fixed.https://github.com/chriseppstein/compass/issues/issue/221
> > compass-user...@googlegroups.com<compass-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/compass-users?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > with regards,
> > Maxim
>
> > --
> > .

Chris Eppstein

Nov 29, 2010, 12:32:17 AM11/29/10
to compas...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, you should now just go to:

Chris

Chris Eppstein

Nov 29, 2010, 12:33:36 AM11/29/10
to compas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Brandon has been working very hard on it.

Chris