Which PCI card on PowerPC/XFree?

1 view

newsma...@gustad.com

Jan 15, 2005, 7:23:23 AM1/15/05

I'm trying to get a Silicon Motion 501 based graphics interface to
work under XFree86 4.3 (Linux) and experience some problems which I
believe is related to the driver not handling big endian correctly.

However, to rule out X11 itself (including potential problems in my
compilation) I would like to get a PCI based graphics card to work in
the machine. I've tried Matrox Millenium, S3 Virge, Tseng ET4000, SIS
6326, and Cirrus 5446 without any luck.

So, does anybody have a PowerPC based system successfully running
XFree86 (presumably version 4.3) with a PCI based graphics card. If
yes, which graphics card are you using?

Thank you
Best regards
Petter Gustad

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

J.O. Aho

Jan 15, 2005, 2:46:18 PM1/15/05
newsma...@gustad.com wrote:
> I'm trying to get a Silicon Motion 501 based graphics interface to
> work under XFree86 4.3 (Linux) and experience some problems which I
> believe is related to the driver not handling big endian correctly.
>
> However, to rule out X11 itself (including potential problems in my
> compilation) I would like to get a PCI based graphics card to work in
> the machine. I've tried Matrox Millenium, S3 Virge, Tseng ET4000, SIS
> 6326, and Cirrus 5446 without any luck.
>
> So, does anybody have a PowerPC based system successfully running
> XFree86 (presumably version 4.3) with a PCI based graphics card. If
> yes, which graphics card are you using?

I seen people say they have been successfull with install of linux with X on
systems with Voodoo, so if you can borrow one of those cards, then test that.

Don't think big endian does do that much in this case, maybe you haven't
managed to set the BusID variable right for your PCI card.

I do suggest you take a look at the APUS Linux installations for help on using
PCI based graphics cards, as the classic Amiga haven't had the possibility to
use AGP cards (think an AGP based expantion card is in the final stages before
release), and those people seems to have X for their PowerPC based linux installs.

//Aho

newsma...@gustad.com

Jan 16, 2005, 5:31:22 AM1/16/05
"J.O. Aho" <us...@example.net> writes:

> I seen people say they have been successfull with install of linux
> with X on systems with Voodoo, so if you can borrow one of those
> cards, then test that.

I'll see what I can find.

> Don't think big endian does do that much in this case, maybe you
> haven't managed to set the BusID variable right for your PCI card.

I beleive it's right. The cards are detected and accessed, but the
driver will crash. The Silicon Motion card works (but the colors
appear to suffer from endian problems) in the same slot with the same
busid.

> I do suggest you take a look at the APUS Linux installations for help
> on using PCI based graphics cards, as the classic Amiga haven't had
> the possibility to use AGP cards (think an AGP based expantion card is
> in the final stages before release), and those people seems to have X
> for their PowerPC based linux installs.

I'll try to google for Amiga installations.

Thanks
Petter