Lego upgrade and MIT sample server (hack fix)

Stephen Willson

Sep 13, 1989, 6:32:03 PM9/13/89

Problem:

Has anyone else upgraded a 4/110 with the Lego (GX) board from sun and had
the MIT sample server stop working? We are running SUN/OS 4.0.3., with patches
1-9 except the set in the middle that apply only to xman. We have some
Sparcstation-1's as well, and they work okay as other net-posters have claimed.
We were hoping our 4/110's would be identical now to the Sparcstation-1's
except slower processor speed.

What happens:
run xinit
(aliased to alias xinit 'xinit $HOME/.xinit; kbd_mode -a; clear_colormap')
the color of the foreground turns light orange (same as on Sparcstation).
the screen flashes for a micro-second, trying to initialize.
core is dumped
csh gets a million EOF's until it logs me out.

We have the same /dev entries on the Sparcstation-1's as the 4/110s, with a
cgthree0 entry and a cgsix0 entry.

Fix: (added 45 minutes after writing above paragraphs)

Since I wrote the above paragraphs, I tracked the problem down to line 506
in server/ddx/sun/sunCG4C.c, which is trying to enable the overlay plans.
I don't have the foggiest idea why it doesn't try to do this on the
Sparcstation-1 but if someone else wants to pursue it this is the place
to start. My hack fix is to remove the line that tries to do that:

#ifdef notdefPDA
/* Now set the enable plane for color */
if (index == 0) sunCG4CSwitch (&(pScreenInfo->screen[0]), 0);
#endif

Note that I had tried using xinit $HOME/.xinit -- -dev /dev/cgfour0 to
keep it from blasting the overlay planes but that didn't work. The server
dies saying "can't find any displays" and then logs me out.

I have to say, I find that the ability of the server to log me out by
screwing up my standard input is quite amazing.

Stephen Clarke-Willson
Software Architect
PDA Engineering
wil...@pda.com
714/540 8900 x291

Usenet file owner

Sep 14, 1989, 9:20:10 AM9/14/89
I just got a new Sparcstation 1 on my desk (two days ago) which runs
SUNOS 4.0.3 and I am told that the MIT X server is not going to run
on it. Is this true? If that is the case, is there a fix?

Mihran Tuceryan

email: tuce...@cpswh.cps.msu.edu

Josh Diamond

Sep 14, 1989, 11:40:45 AM9/14/89
In article <890913223...@madrid.local> wil...@pdaeng.UUCP (Stephen Willson) writes:

>I have to say, I find that the ability of the server to log me out by
>screwing up my standard input is quite amazing.

This happens because Xsun normally sets its standard input, output and
error files into non-blocking mode. Normally, everything is reset upon
exit, but if the server dies, things may not be cleaned up. The -debug
option prevents setting non-blocking mode, but may cause some error
messages to be lost (not flushed from the buffer)...

Josh Diamond
AKA Spidey!!!

--
/\ \ / /\ Josh Diamond {philabs.phillips.com, sun.com}!gotham!ursa!jmd
//\\ .. //\\ AKA Spidey!!! ...!{sun, pwcmrd, philabs, pyrnj}!gotham!ursa!jmd

Richard Tobin

Sep 15, 1989, 2:43:58 PM9/15/89
In article <46...@cps3xx.UUCP> use...@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
>I just got a new Sparcstation 1 on my desk (two days ago) which runs
>SUNOS 4.0.3 and I am told that the MIT X server is not going to run
>on it. Is this true? If that is the case, is there a fix?

Seems to work fine here...

--- Richard
--
Richard Tobin, JANET: R.T...@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute, ARPA: R.Tobin%uk.a...@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

Barry Shein

Sep 18, 1989, 7:25:32 PM9/18/89

>I just got a new Sparcstation 1 on my desk (two days ago) which runs
>SUNOS 4.0.3 and I am told that the MIT X server is not going to run
>on it. Is this true? If that is the case, is there a fix?
>
>Mihran Tuceryan

Worked fine on the one here, 17" color trinitron, GX/Lego,
Sparcstation-1. I don't think it much takes advantage of the board,
perhaps that's what you heard? But it works, and it's even reasonably
fast for general chores. Sunview, obviously tuned to the Lego, is much
faster if you want to see what the machine is capable of. I assume
you'll eventually get the X11/NeWS server from Sun and that will
exploit the hardware.

--
-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade
1330 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202
Internet: b...@skuld.std.com
UUCP: encore!xylogics!skuld!bzs or uunet!skuld!bzs