X Shared Memory

Samuel T Denton

Mar 18, 1994, 3:19:55 PM3/18/94
In article <940318134...@asia.llnl.gov>,
Dean N. Williams <will...@asia.llnl.GOV> wrote:
> Where can I find X shared memory doc on the net?
> Please include the ftp site and the path.

It is in the X11R5 distribution, look at mit/doc/extensions/mit-shm.ms
and/or mit/hardcopy/extensions/mit-shm.PS.Z

for an example of how to use it, look at ray-trace.tar.Z in /contrib
at ftp.x.org.

Dean N. Williams

Mar 18, 1994, 11:25:08 AM3/18/94
to xp...@x.org
Hi there!

Where can I find X shared memory doc on the net?
Please include the ftp site and the path.

Thank you in advance!!!

-Dean

Gerry Rohling

Mar 18, 1994, 4:41:38 PM3/18/94

Is there any way to write a daemon that is X aware? That is, it can pop up a
message box (window, etc.) onto a users root window.

Thanks

Gerry Rohling
Mechanical Engineering
University of British Columbia

Samuel T Denton

Mar 23, 1994, 10:43:42 AM3/23/94
In article <2md76i$h...@nntp.ucs.ubc.ca>,

Gerry Rohling <roh...@mech.ubc.ca> wrote:
>Is there any way to write a daemon that is X aware? That is, it can pop up a
>message box (window, etc.) onto a users root window.

In general, no. First, you need to figure out the user who will get
the message. Second, if multiple users are on the computer (using X
terminals, for instance) how do you figure out the display to pop the
message box up on? Third, the daemon would have to have access to the
display, by being able to read the magic cookie in .Xauthority or
whatever. Finally, if you can solve all of these, what if someone is
logged in from two displays at once?

This is why most daemons (like lpr) send mail.