Cygwin, Xorg, KDE, and RedHat

red floyd

Feb 24, 2005, 12:30:18 PM2/24/05

If I'm in the wrong place, I apologize, and ask that you direct me to
the correct place.

I'm running Cygwin Xorg 6.8.2 (experimental XWin_GL server) under XPSP1
and a RHEL 3 box.

When I connect to the RHEL system from the cygwin box, using ssh -X, and
try to start KDE (by startkde), I get a series of errors shown below.
When I don't use X tunnelling by SSH, but instead explicitly set
DISPLAY=[cygwin box]:0, and run startkde, I do not get these errors.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

red floyd

[redacted console output of startkde follows]

-- CUT
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
Resource id in failed request: 0x56
Serial number of failed request: 11
startkde: Starting up...
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display "localhost:10.0".
[repeated 32 times]

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 2
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x56
X Error: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter) 5
Major opcode: 18
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x111
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 2
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x56
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 2
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x56

[further errors occur, mostly repeating the above]
-- CUT

paul....@at-arm-dot.com

Feb 25, 2005, 6:35:17 AM2/25/05
red floyd <no....@here.dude> wrote:
> When I connect to the RHEL system from the cygwin box, using ssh -X

Try using "ssh -Y" instead of "ssh -X" so the X server trusts the
remote clients. It's vaguely possible that this is the problem.

-p
--
Paul Gotch
CoreSight Tools

red floyd

Feb 25, 2005, 4:30:40 PM2/25/05
paul....@at-arm-dot.com wrote:
> red floyd <no....@here.dude> wrote:
>
>>When I connect to the RHEL system from the cygwin box, using ssh -X
>

> Try using "ssh -Y" instead of "ssh -X" so the X server trusts the
> remote clients. It's vaguely possible that this is the problem.
>
> -p

That did it! Thanks a lot!