KDE Application Development Team

1 view

[vmlinuz]

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
Hello all,

My name is Jono Bacon (my nick is [vmlinuz] ) and I am in the process
of setting up a software development team that will primarily develop
KDE based applications.

I myself am not a fantastic programmer; I am a project manager, but I
do have technical experience.

The development team will be the kind typified by the Open Source
movement, and will have these key features:

* All development will take place over the Internet.
* All software will be released under the GPL.
* The project will have a key set of standards to be maintained.
* The project will base many key desicions around the RFC model so
user/develop input can be maintained.

The reason for this post is to see the level of interest for this kind
of a project to go ahead.

I will therefore be requireing the following to posts to be filled:

- C O D E R S -

Programmers will need to have experience coding in C++ and preferably
CORBA, and be able to code the Qt widget set. Experience at coding KDE
applications is neccessery.

- W E B M A S T E R -

A webmaster will be needed to manage and maintain the site for the
development team. Experience in HTML and CGI access is essential, and
good design skills are a must.

- A R T I S T S -

Artists will be required for creating icons and other artwork for both
the software projects and the website. Experience with the GIMP or
another suitable graphics manipulation package is essential.

The important thing to realise about this project is that we will not
be basing our efforts around one single project such as a word
processer or spreadsheet...but develop many different software
soloutions. I can imagine that a primary project will be developed
though.

Another thing to realise about the project is that it will form many
teams working under the same guidelines on different projects; much in
the same vein as GNU. These standards guidelines will be published in
subsequent time.

If you think you may be interested in joining the team, please let me
know either in this group, or send me an email stating how you can
help and details of experience/contact addresses etc.

My email address is j...@linuxuk.co.uk .

Many Thanks,

Jono Bacon

Chris Hedemark

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
"[vmlinuz]" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> My name is Jono Bacon (my nick is [vmlinuz] ) and I am in the process
> of setting up a software development team that will primarily develop
> KDE based applications.

LOL. That was pretty good.

You don't mention compensation so I don't *think* you are recruiting for
a paid development team.

You aren't a programmer.

But you want to tell everyone what to do?

That isn't quite how it works. First you code a useable bit of a
project, then announce it, and see if other folks want to chip in.

Your call for developers lacks any kind of clear objective, and lacks
incentive as well. Most open source projects are run by programmers,
not by project managers.

[vmlinuz]

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
On Fri, 28 May 1999 09:43:51 -0400, Chris Hedemark
<hede...@raleigh.ibm.com> wrote:

>"[vmlinuz]" wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> My name is Jono Bacon (my nick is [vmlinuz] ) and I am in the process
>> of setting up a software development team that will primarily develop
>> KDE based applications.
>
>LOL. That was pretty good.

Not as funny as your attempt.

>You don't mention compensation so I don't *think* you are recruiting for
>a paid development team.
>
>You aren't a programmer.
>
>But you want to tell everyone what to do?

Not quite - don't you understand the word team?

>That isn't quite how it works. First you code a useable bit of a
>project, then announce it, and see if other folks want to chip in.

And that is how you can often get overly complex software written by
people who don't have any idea about designing software...just coding
it.

>Your call for developers lacks any kind of clear objective, and lacks
>incentive as well. Most open source projects are run by programmers,
>not by project managers.

You say most projects...not all. We will see how it turns out. I think
you are living in the dark ages though.