X occasionally spits out dead keys

khym....@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2006, 8:16:00 PM3/2/06
I'm using XFree86 4.3-8.2 with KDE 3.1.4-1. Every once in a while I do
*something* which causes the keys ", ', and ~ to spit out "dead" keys.
When typing in an xterm, I have to hit one of those keys twice in a row
to get the character I want, and I can't use them at all in XEmacs. I
have no idea what I'm doing to cause this. It must be some weird key
combination I accidently press or something, but whatever it is I can
never figure it out.

So, does anyone know how to either:

1) Get out of this "dea key mode", or
2) Prevent it from ever happening?

Thanks in advance.

noj...@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br

Mar 3, 2006, 7:12:51 PM3/3/06

You can save the display keyboard map to a with

xmodmap -pke | fgrep -i dead > file_name

After that you can edit the file, change the dead keys to "live" ones
and
run

xmodmap file_name

Or you can run

xmodmap -pke | sed
's/dead_tilde/asciitilde/g;s/dead_\(double\)*//g;s/belowdot//g;s/acute/apostrophe/g;s/circumflex/asciicircum/g'
| xmodmap -

Notice that it is just one long command line (cross your fingers :-)

> 2) Prevent it from ever happening?

Dead keys are configured in XF86Config or dynamically via xmodmap or
XKB. In your case I guess KDE is configuring your keyboard to use dead
keys. Ther is a keyboard map configuration tool somwhere in the KDE
main menu.

--- Casantos

khym....@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2006, 10:21:36 PM3/3/06
Okay, thanks.

Doug Laidlaw

Mar 6, 2006, 7:13:57 PM3/6/06
noj...@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:

There are "Keyboard layout" and "Keyboard Shortcuts" in the KDE ->
Accessibility sub-menu.

Doug.
--
We can't stop crime, so why don't we legalize it and
tax it out of existence?