ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Peter Mattis

Nov 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/21/95
The GIMP: the General Image Manipulation Program

The GIMP is designed to provide an intuitive graphical interface to a
variety of image editing operations. Here is a list of the GIMP's
major features:

Image viewing
-------------

* Supports 8, 15, 16 and 24 bit color.
* Ordered and Floyd-Steinberg dithering for 8 bit displays.
* View images as rgb color, grayscale or indexed color.
* Simultaneously edit multiple images.
* Zoom and pan in real-time.
* GIF, JPEG, PNG, TIFF and XPM support.

Image editing
-------------

* Selection tools including rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy, bezier
and intelligent.
* Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip.
* Painting tools including bucket, brush, airbrush, clone, convolve,
blend and text.
* Effects filters (such as blur, edge detect).
* Channel & color operations (such as add, composite, decompose).
* Plug-ins which allow for the easy addition of new file formats and
new effect filters.
* Multiple undo/redo.

Requirements
------------

* The operating system must support shared memory.
* X11 R5 or R6. (Actually, it may work on R4, but we have not had a
chance to test it).
* The X-server must support the X shared memory extension. (The
X-server does not actually need to support shared memory so this is
only a temporary situation until we integrate the configure
information with the source code).
* Motif 1.2 or above.

The GIMP has been tested (and developed) on the following operating
systems: Linux 1.2.13, Solaris 2.4, HPUX 9.05, SGI IRIX.

Currently, the biggest restriction to running the GIMP is the Motif
requirement. We will release a statically linked binary for several
systems soon (including Linux).

URLs
----

http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~gimp
ftp://ftp.csua.berkeley.edu/pub/gimp
mailto:gi...@soda.csua.berkeley.edu

Brought to you by
-----------------

Spencer Kimball (spe...@soda.csua.berkeley.edu)
Peter Mattis (pe...@soda.csua.berkeley.edu)

NOTE
----

This software is currently a beta release. This means that we haven't
implemented all of the features we think are required for a full,
unqualified release. There are undoubtedly bugs we haven't found yet
just waiting to surface given the right conditions. If you run across
one of these, please send mail to gi...@soda.csua.berkeley.edu with
precise details on how it can be reliably reproduced.

Peter Maier - Sun Germany Product Support - Munich

Nov 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/23/95

In article <48s543$r...@agate.berkeley.edu>, pe...@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU (Peter Mattis) writes:
>The GIMP: the General Image Manipulation Program
-SNIP-

>The GIMP has been tested (and developed) on the following operating
>systems: Linux 1.2.13, Solaris 2.4, HPUX 9.05, SGI IRIX.

This program sounds VERY interesting... but:
has anybody managed to compile it on Solaris 2.4? I get this messages:

cc -Xa -w -I/usr/openwin/include -I/usr/dt/include -c gregion.c
"gregion.c", line 762: identifier redeclared: gregion_stencil
current : function() returning void
previous: function(pointer to struct _gregion {pointer to pointer to struct _link {..} segments, int extent, int width, int id, char b... : "./gregion.h", line 95
cc: acomp failed for gregion.c
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `gregion.o'

This happens to other files too. Where is the problem?

Regards

-Peter

Olivier AUBERT

Nov 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/24/95
I managed to compile it on a Solaris 2.4 box. The hardest thing was to find
the libraries for the plug ins (jpeg, tiff, png), because our connection
with ftp.uu.net was really slow.

For the include problems, I modified the Makefiles myself. The only change to
make to app/Makefile is:

# set the include and library include directories
INCLUDE = -I/usr/openwin/include -I/usr/dt/include
LINCLUDE = -R/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/dt/lib

and it compiles with no problem.

Now for my impresions about the program itself:
there are some bugs, it occasionnaly coredumps, but it is really promising.
It is already very usable and usefull, and has many features that xpaint lacks.
Nice work, go on with it!

Olivier
--
+------------------- Just Another Perl Hacker... -------------------------+
| Olivier AUBERT Telecom Bretagne BP 832 29285 BREST Cedex -- FRANCE |

Oleg Bartunov

Nov 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/24/95
I even couldn't get configure to find motif libraries under Solaris 2.4.
I know they are in /usr/dt/lib but there are no option to tell
configure where they are.

-- Oleg
Oleg Bartunov - researcher, hostmaster
Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University
(095)939-16-83, ol...@sai.msu.su, Moscow, Russia

David L. Johnson

Nov 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/24/95
Check the log file to see why the library wasn't found. When I did, I
discovered that what the configure did was compile a dummy program and
see if it ran. Mine didn't because I use Motif-2.0, which requires
libXpm. When I added -lXpm in the configure script and configure.in at
the appropriate place, it worked fine.

BTW, this is a very interesting program. Hard to get used to, but
clearly more powerful than xpaint. Lots more options.

--

David L. Johnson dl...@lehigh.edu
Department of Mathematics http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html

robertson jason vict

Nov 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/25/95
In article <30B65AA3...@lehigh.edu> "David L. Johnson" <dl...@lehigh.edu> writes:
>Check the log file to see why the library wasn't found. When I did, I
>discovered that what the configure did was compile a dummy program and
>see if it ran. Mine didn't because I use Motif-2.0, which requires
>libXpm. When I added -lXpm in the configure script and configure.in at
>the appropriate place, it worked fine.
>
>BTW, this is a very interesting program. Hard to get used to, but
>clearly more powerful than xpaint. Lots more options.

Yeah, it seems nice. I hope the author[s?] keep up the good work. This is
one of the things Linux really needs.
--
Buh?
PGP: finger jrob...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu

Marcin Klimowski

Nov 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/25/95
robertson jason vict (jrob...@ehsn19.cen.uiuc.edu) wrote:
: >

:
: Yeah, it seems nice. I hope the author[s?] keep up the good work. This is
: one of the things Linux really needs.

U meant not Linux but all the Unices....
since there's no free motif yet :(

Marcin;)

Marcin Klimowski | mar...@oeto.pk.edu.pl | hit ANY user to continue
..it's de facto >>--| http://www.pk.edu.pl/~marcin |-->> 2 line only sig....

Matt Chapman

Nov 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/25/95
meg...@sai.msu.su (Oleg Bartunov) writes:

> I even couldn't get configure to find motif libraries under Solaris 2.4.
> I know they are in /usr/dt/lib but there are no option to tell
> configure where they are.
>
> -- Oleg

I had similar problems which I managed to solve by hacking the
configure script (there has to be a nicer way...)

Try adding /usr/dt/include around line 670, and /usr/dt/lib around 736.
I needed to add -lgen to line 784 (before adding any other lines) to give:
LIBS="-lXm -lXt -lX11 -L$XLIBRARIES $LIBS -lgen"
Check the file config.log if you still have problems.

Hope this helps,

-- Matt.

--
Matt Chapman, cs...@csv.warwick.ac.uk, http://www.csv.warwick.ac.uk/~csuoq

robertson jason vict

Nov 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/25/95
In article <DILno...@cyf-kr.edu.pl> mar...@oeto.pk.edu.pl (Marcin Klimowski) writes:
>robertson jason vict (jrob...@ehsn19.cen.uiuc.edu) wrote:
>: In article <30B65AA3...@lehigh.edu> "David L. Johnson" <dl...@lehigh.edu> writes:
>: >
>: >BTW, this is a very interesting program. Hard to get used to, but
>: >clearly more powerful than xpaint. Lots more options.
>: >
>:
>: Yeah, it seems nice. I hope the author[s?] keep up the good work. This is
>: one of the things Linux really needs.
>
>U meant not Linux but all the Unices....
>since there's no free motif yet :(

Well, there may soon be... And at least I'm happy since I've got a really
stable motif 2.0 installation:)

Stephen Wray

Nov 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/26/95

Having trouble compiling on linux.

At first it couldnt find libXt... so I hacked the configure script to
ignore this -- since I *know* I have that lib and that it is in
/usr/X11/lib

Ran compile and it churns away for a long long time until it finally chokes
because it claims;

gcc main.o errors.o actionarea.o app-procs.o buildmenu.o callbacks.o color_select.o fileops.o gimprc.o menus.o interface.o palette.o widget.o colormaps.o disp-callbacks.o gconvert.o gdither.o gimage.o gdisplay.o gdisplay_ops.o gximage.o image_buf.o info_dialog.o info_window.o scale.o scroll.o shadow_ops.o status.o view_ops.o visual.o workprocs.o cursorutil.o general.o linked.o memutils.o progress.o timer.o plug_in.o autodialog.o bezier_select.o boundary.o crop.o global_edit.o gregion.o edit_selection.o ellipse_select.o flip_tool.o free_select.o fuzzy_select.o iscissors.o rect_select.o rotate_tool.o scale_tool.o selection.o select_core.o shear_tool.o temp_buf.o text_tool.o tools.o transform_core.o transform_tool.o undo.o airbrush.o blend.o brushes.o brush_select.o bucket_fill.o clone.o color_picker.o convolve.o paintbrush.o paint_core.o paint_funcs.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXm -lXt -lXext -lX11 -lm -o gimp
ld: Output file requires shared library `libXt.so.3'
gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 6
make[1]: *** [gimp] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gimp-0.5/app'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Now, the directory in -L/usr/X11R6/lib is where libXt.so.3 (libXt.so.3.1.0) is.
I also have a library libXt.so.6 (libXt.so.6.0) as well.

Oleg Bartunov

Nov 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/26/95

I follwed your advice, but I had to add also -lSm -lICE -lsocket -lnsl to get
configure find motif library. Now I have another problem:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
checking for -lXm... yes
checking for sys/ipc.h... yes
checking for sys/shm.h... yes
checking X11/extensions/XShm.h... yes
checking for -lXext... no
configure: error: could not find X extension library needed for X shared memory

config.log looks as:

Undefined first referenced
symbol in file
socket /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so
IceProcessMessages /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so
getpeername /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so
SmcDeleteProperties /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so
xdrmem_create /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so
gethostbyname /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so
SmcSaveYourselfDone /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so
SmcGetIceConnection /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so
setsockopt /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so
SmcRequestSaveYourselfPhase2 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so
getservbyname /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so
SmcSetProperties /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so
SmcClientID /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so
authdes_create /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so
inet_addr /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so
SmcCloseConnection /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so
SmcOpenConnection /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so
SmcModifyCallbacks /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so

What else I have to change in configure script ?

Stephen Wray

Nov 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/26/95

Marcin> U meant not Linux but all the Unices.... since there's no free
Marcin> motif yet :(

Many motif programs come as pre-compiled, statically linked binaries for
linux.

So far I havn't gotten gimp to compile under linux despite having motif.
For some bizarre reason it can't find libXt.so.3, despite having
-L/usr/X11R6/lib (which is where it is) on the gcc command line.

Anyone compiled it under linux?

robertson jason vict

Nov 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/26/95

I did. I think I had the standard 'unable to find -lXm' errors, too. I just
changed a few ...=no to ....=yes and messed with the Makefile. [Well, I think
that was this program. It was something I recompiled recently]

Are you on an ELF system, or an a.out? Which version of XFree86? You might
have libraries that don't match somewhere..

David L. Johnson

Nov 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/26/95
Marcin Klimowski wrote:

> robertson jason vict (jrob...@ehsn19.cen.uiuc.edu) wrote:
> : In article <30B65AA3...@lehigh.edu> "David L. Johnson" <dl...@lehigh.edu> writes:
> : >
> : >BTW, this is a very interesting program. Hard to get used to, but
> : >clearly more powerful than xpaint. Lots more options.
> : >
> :
> : Yeah, it seems nice. I hope the author[s?] keep up the good work. This is
> : one of the things Linux really needs.
>
> U meant not Linux but all the Unices....
> since there's no free motif yet :(

I don't recall signing a pledge when I got linux that I would only use
free software. There is more than a little odd about people with $3000
computers refusing to shell out $99 or so for Motif, and _then_ complain
about people writing code for Motif, as if they can't run it in linux.

If you don't want to buy Motif, fine. But then, use what you can use
without it.

Rich White

Nov 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/26/95
Stephen Wray wrote:

> Having trouble compiling on linux.
>
> At first it couldnt find libXt... so I hacked the configure script to
> ignore this -- since I *know* I have that lib and that it is in
> /usr/X11/lib
>
> Ran compile and it churns away for a long long time until it finally chokes
> because it claims;
>
> gcc main.o errors.o actionarea.o app-procs.o buildmenu.o callbacks.o color_select.o fileops.o gimprc.o menus.o interface.o palette.o widget.o colormaps.o disp-
> ld: Output file requires shared library `libXt.so.3'
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 6
> make[1]: *** [gimp] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gimp-0.5/app'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Now, the directory in -L/usr/X11R6/lib is where libXt.so.3 (libXt.so.3.1.0) is.
> I also have a library libXt.so.6 (libXt.so.6.0) as well.

Hey, I'm no good at this at all, but don't you need a symbolic
link from your libXt.so.3.1.0 to libXt.so.3?

rock on ...

rich white
no...@ios.com
http://www.ios.com/~noise

Stephen Wray

Nov 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/27/95

Rich> Stephen Wray wrote:
>> Having trouble compiling on linux.

[snip]

>> Now, the directory in -L/usr/X11R6/lib is where libXt.so.3
>> (libXt.so.3.1.0) is. I also have a library libXt.so.6
>> (libXt.so.6.0) as well.

Rich> Hey, I'm no good at this at all, but don't you need a symbolic
Rich> link from your libXt.so.3.1.0 to libXt.so.3?

There is -- that is what I meant by libXt.so.3 (libXt.so.3.1.0) .
Ok, I *should* have said "libXt.so.3 -> libXt.so.3.1.0"

James Hannigan

Nov 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/27/95
In article <rahardj.817448306@antares>, rah...@cc.umanitoba.ca (Budi
Rahardjo) wrote:

> I am sorry for posting this question. The original article has
> expired on our news system, and archie couldn't find it.
> Where can I get it from?

URLs
----

-- James

James Hannigan - System Administration - Computational Linguistics
Universitaet des Saarlandes - Im Stadtwald - D66041 - Saarbruecken
Germany - Tel: +49 (0)681 302 4310 Fax: +49 (0)681 302 4700
Email: ja...@coli.uni-sb.de WWW: http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~james

David L. Johnson

Nov 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/27/95
Stephen Wray wrote:

> So far I havn't gotten gimp to compile under linux despite having motif.
> For some bizarre reason it can't find libXt.so.3, despite having
> -L/usr/X11R6/lib (which is where it is) on the gcc command line.
>
> Anyone compiled it under linux?

I have. But you are the second person I have seen who has this library
problem. What is your system? What is going on here is, apparently,
that your libXt.sa is OLD, from XFree-2.1. It's the wrong shlib stub.
So, that stub gets linked, and goes looking for its runtime version.
This should not be. It wouldn't work if it found it, anyway.

You have to get a new libXt.sa, one that is for XFree-3.1.1 (or 2), it
should be looking for libXt.so.6 -> libXt.so.6.0.

This is a serious problem. Look at the date of your libXt.sa. I bet
it's older than mine:

21:27:51 /home/dlj0 >dir /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.sa
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90664 Jan 28 1995
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.sa

and even that is pretty old.

Please e-mail me with a short description of your system. I'd like to
know where this problem comes from.

BTW, I can uuencode and mail you my gimp. The only thing I don't like
about it is that it tends to load a private colormap. Then, if you try
to paint anything, the color you choose gets screwed up with the color
flashing on my 8bpp screen.

Tim Bandelow

Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
to ste...@debretts.comp.vuw.ac.nz
Hi.

ste...@debretts.comp.vuw.ac.nz (Stephen Wray) wrote:

>Having trouble compiling on linux.
>

>At first it couldnt find libXt... so I hacked the configure script to
>ignore this -- since I *know* I have that lib and that it is in
>/usr/X11/lib
>
>Ran compile and it churns away for a long long time until it finally chokes
>because it claims;
>

>gcc main.o errors.o actionarea.o app-procs.o buildmenu.o callbacks.o color_select.o fileops.o gimprc.o menus.o interface.o palette.=
o widget.o colormaps.o disp-callbacks.o gconvert.o gdither.o gimage.o gdisplay.o gdisplay_ops.o gximage.o image_buf.o info_dialog.o =
info_window.o scale.o scroll.o shadow_ops.o status.o view_ops.o visual.o workprocs.o cursorutil.o general.o linked.o memutils.o prog=
ress.o timer.o plug_in.o autodialog.o bezier_select.o boundary.o crop.o global_edit.o gregion.o edit_selection.o ellipse_select.o fl=
ip_tool.o free_select.o fuzzy_select.o iscissors.o rect_select.o rotate_tool.o scale_tool.o selection.o select_core.o shear_tool.o t=
emp_buf.o text_tool.o tools.o transform_core.o transform_tool.o undo.o airbrush.o blend.o brushes.o brush_select.o bucket_fill.o clo=

ne.o color_picker.o convolve.o paintbrush.o paint_core.o paint_funcs.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXm -lXt -lXext -lX11 -lm -o gimp

>ld: Output file requires shared library `libXt.so.3'
>gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 6
>make[1]: *** [gimp] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gimp-0.5/app'
>make: *** [all] Error 2
>

>Now, the directory in -L/usr/X11R6/lib is where libXt.so.3 (libXt.so.3.1.0) is.
>I also have a library libXt.so.6 (libXt.so.6.0) as well.

You seem to have an older Motif version which was linked with X11R5 libraries.
While upgrading your system from X11R5 to X11R6 you have moved all X11R5 shared
libraries (libX*.so*) to /usr/X11R6/lib. This way all existing programs
still run. But you probably forgot the libX*.sa files, which are used by the
linker when you compile programs. The .sa files don't have version numbers
in their filenames. So only one version can exist in each directory. In
your case it is the X11R6 version of libXt.
Another problem: ld links the specified libraries backwards. First
libm, then libX11, libXext, libXt and finally libXm. So when it looks for
libXt, it doesn't know which version is required and might get confused.

The solution for your problem would be to create a directory /usr/X11R5/lib,
put all X11R5 libraries (libX*.so.3*) and your Motif libraries into this
directory, try to recover the old libX*.sa files from a backup disk and
put these files also into /usr/X11R5/lib. Then add the path /usr/X11R5/lib to
/etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig.

Now you should be able to specify -L/usr/X11R5/lib instead of -L/usr/X11R6/lib
and the correct libraries should be found.

Hope it helps.
Tim

--
\ | \ | | Tim Bandelow Lehrstuhl NMI
\ | _/ | | Fakultaet Bauwesen August Schmidtstr. 8
_| _| _| _| _| Tel.: ++49 231 755 2565 Fax : ++49 231 755 2532

Matt Chapman

Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
meg...@sai.msu.su (Oleg Bartunov) writes:
> I follwed your advice, but I had to add also -lSm -lICE -lsocket -lnsl to get
> configure find motif library. Now I have another problem:

> checking X11/extensions/XShm.h... yes
> checking for -lXext... no
> configure: error: could not find X extension library needed for X shared memory
> What else I have to change in configure script ?

You probably need to change a line like:
LIBS="-lXext -lX11 -L$XLIBRARIES $LIBS -lgen" +whatever
in the -lXext section of configure, around line 898.

Any other problems may well be R6 related, which I can't help with,
but if you can't get configure to work, I can send you my generated
Makefiles, which are far easier to modify than configure. I don't know why
Imake wasn't used instead of configure...

Cheers,

Matt Chapman

Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
rah...@cc.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) writes:

> I am sorry for posting this question. The original article has
> expired on our news system, and archie couldn't find it.
> Where can I get it from?

I'm pretty sure we didn't get the original article at all, but I managed to
track down the web site:

http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~gimp/

Chris Hufnagel

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95
OK, I compiled "The Gimp" with relatively few problems. (configure must die! :)
but I'm having a problem locating the "libgz" library for the plug-ins.
The documentation states that the zlib package contains this library but the
zlib-0.95.tar archive only has a "libz". Was this a typo or is there a libgz
somewhere that I just haven't seen? :)

Thanks for any info...

Chris Hufnagel
ch...@cat.pdx.edu

Ken Lee

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95
In article <Pine.BSI.3.91.951129...@river.biddeford.com>, Wayne
Ward <ww...@river.biddeford.com> writes:
|> The question is, does each field have to be a window? I want do this
|> using Xlib only.

No, but that can be easier to implement.

--
Ken Lee, X/Motif Consulting, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/index.shtml

Wayne Ward

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95
I would like to design a window that take all its input from the
keyboard.
The window would look like this:

| |
| Name: _______________________ |
| Address: _______________________ |
| Phone: _______________________ |
| |
| |

The question is, does each field have to be a window? I want do this
using Xlib only.

Thanks for your time.
Wayne.

Michael Perzl

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95

libgz was renamed to libz during the transition from libgz 0.93 to 0.95
if I remember correctly....
Anyway now every reference of libgz should be changed to libz ....

Hope that helps

Michael

Michael Perzl email: mpe...@gsf.de
Institut fuer Strahlenschutz Tel.: ++49 (0)89 3187-2801
AG Medizinphysik Fax: ++49 (0)89 3187-3363
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1, 85764 Oberschleissheim
GSF-Forschungszentrum fuer Umwelt und Gesundheit, GmbH Neuherberg

Bibhas Bhattacharya

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
Wayne Ward (ww...@river.biddeford.com) wrote:
: Hi,

They don't have to be windows. There are tool kits which implement UI
components without windows (Xt's gadget, Galaxy etc.). But programming is
much easier if you have windows associated with each text box. Events
will be reported for them. Otherwise, you will have to resolve events.
Also, while drawing you will need to do the necessary translations of
coordinates.

Bibhas.
bib...@isgtec.com

Hans de Graaff

Dec 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/3/95
In article <vxbpwec...@crocus.csv.warwick.ac.uk>
cs...@csv.warwick.ac.uk (Matt Chapman) writes:

> > checking X11/extensions/XShm.h... yes
> > checking for -lXext... no
> > configure: error: could not find X extension library needed for X shared memory
> > What else I have to change in configure script ?

I noticed this problem as well. What happens is that ./configure's X
macro finds that the X include files are in a standard place
(i.e. /usr/include/X11), so it doesn't fill the x-include
variable. However, the GIMP people later rely on this variable to
locate the shared memory include file, but they don't check whether it
has been set or not.

It's debateable whether this is a problem with GIMP or with Autoconf,
though.

Hans
--
Hans de Graaff Home: gra...@twi72.twi.tudelft.nl
Delft University of Technology Work: J.J.de...@twi.tudelft.nl

David L. Johnson

Dec 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/3/95
Chris Hufnagel wrote:

> OK, I compiled "The Gimp" with relatively few problems. (configure must die! :)
> but I'm having a problem locating the "libgz" library for the plug-ins.
> The documentation states that the zlib package contains this library but the
> zlib-0.95.tar archive only has a "libz". Was this a typo or is there a libgz
> somewhere that I just haven't seen? :)

I believe that's explained in the gimp-0.5.2 documentation. There was a
change from one to the other. BTW, the format that's needed for, is it
a replacement for gif? I haven't seen it before (and didn't bother to
compile that part of gimp yet).

Amancio Hasty, Jr.

Dec 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/4/95
Well, we had some minor configuration problems under FreeBSD ...

However, quite a few people managed to get GIMP running up and running
on FreeBSD 8)

--
Amancio Hasty
Hasty Software Consulting Services

Iain Lea

Dec 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/4/95
If anyone has compiled this and *statically* linked it with the Motif libs
could you please drop me a line with the ftp site.

Thanx

--
Iain Lea DS 83, SBS GmbH., Germany
ia...@sbs.de <http://www.sbs.de/~iain> +49 911 978 3120

Marcin Klimowski

Dec 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/7/95
Iain Lea (ia...@scn.de) wrote:
: If anyone has compiled this and *statically* linked it with the Motif libs

: could you please drop me a line with the ftp site.
:

Iain :

you did not specified for which OS you need it.......

Lou Sortman

Dec 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/8/95
In article <DJ7o2...@cyf-kr.edu.pl>,

mar...@oeto.pk.edu.pl (Marcin Klimowski) writes:
>Iain Lea (ia...@scn.de) wrote:
>: If anyone has compiled this and *statically* linked it with the Motif libs
>: could you please drop me a line with the ftp site.
>:
>
>Iain :
>
>you did not specified for which OS you need it.......

Good point. I, for one, am running Linux ELF.

Brian Tao

Dec 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/14/95
In article <4aa20g$f...@madison.tdsnet.com>, Lou Sortman <l...@lounix4.conc.tdsnet.com> wrote:

>Good point. I, for one, am running Linux ELF.

The authors of GIMP said they were having problems producing a
statically-linked version for Linux. They believe it may be a bug in
the Linux version of the Motif libs. If anyone needs a static binary
for FreeBSD 2.x though, contact me at ta...@io.org.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, ta...@io.org)
Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.

Steve Dunham

Dec 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/15/95
Brian Tao (ta...@ionews.io.org) wrote:

: The authors of GIMP said they were having problems producing a

: statically-linked version for Linux. They believe it may be a bug in
: the Linux version of the Motif libs. If anyone needs a static binary
: for FreeBSD 2.x though, contact me at ta...@io.org.

It works fine linked statically against the ELF version of MetroLink
Motif 2.0...

David L. Johnson

Dec 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/15/95
Brian Tao wrote:

> In article <4aa20g$f...@madison.tdsnet.com>, Lou Sortman <l...@lounix4.conc.tdsnet.com> wrote:
> >
> >Good point. I, for one, am running Linux ELF.
>
> The authors of GIMP said they were having problems producing a
> statically-linked version for Linux.

Hm. I've never had any problem doing that. If they want, I could
provide them with one.

Brian Tao

Dec 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/17/95
In article <4ar0up$h...@msunews.cl.msu.edu>, Steve Dunham <dun...@cl-next4.cl.msu.edu> wrote:

>It works fine linked statically against the ELF version of MetroLink
>Motif 2.0...

They did say they thought it was a bug with the Motif library. In
particular, they were using the MooTif distribution, if I recall
correctly. I'm sure they would appreciate static ELF and a.out
binaries.

Johannes Schindlin

Dec 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/21/95
Please could someone put this program on a ftp-server accessible from outside
of U.S.

The biggest part I got of it was <5kB

Thanx,
Dscho

--
The night was so dark that I couildn srr thr keyz befoir mt etes.