Keyboard Shortcuts in OpenLook/XView

Jesse Smith

Oct 28, 1992, 10:09:48 PM10/28/92
I have looked through the OpenLook FAQ, the OpenLook Functional
Specification, and the user's manual for DevGuide and have not
found any mention of "keyboard shortcuts", key sequences that
can be used interchangeably with menu selections. O'Reilly Vol. 7
(XView Version 3) doesn't seem to address this, either. I know
that this is an often-used mechanism on the Mac and even in Motif.

Could anyone point me to a reference on if or how this is done
in OpenLook? I would be particularly interested in references
on how this is done via XView 3.0 routines. Please post responses
to this group or email them to the address below (my Reply-to: is
broken).

Thanks,
Jesse Smith
General Dynamics Corp., Fort Worth, TX
jsm...@gdwest.gd.com

Ken Ferens

Oct 29, 1992, 10:28:43 AM10/29/92

I have been also interested in keyboard shortcuts in XView. Textedit allows
a number of shortcuts for editing. For example, to copy, cut, and paste, one
would type the diamond key + c, x, and v, just like on the Mac. I discovered this
by experimenting. However, there seems to be a bug, in that "sometimes" after
continued use of the keyboard shortcuts, the cursor disappears and editing becomes
very difficult; you cannot no longer place the cursor at the mouse position.

Ken Ferens
fer...@ee.umanitoba.ca

Stephen Dowdy

Oct 30, 1992, 7:39:11 PM10/30/92
In article <1992Oct29....@ccu.umanitoba.ca> fer...@ic16.umeeng writes:
)In article 92Oct2...@tss7.gdfwc3, jesmith@gdfwc3 (Jesse Smith) writes:
)>I have looked through the OpenLook FAQ, the OpenLook Functional
)>Specification, and the user's manual for DevGuide and have not
)>found any mention of "keyboard shortcuts", key sequences that
)>can be used interchangeably with menu selections. O'Reilly Vol. 7
)>(XView Version 3) doesn't seem to address this, either. I know
)>that this is an often-used mechanism on the Mac and even in Motif.

Yep, the documentation is rather sparse. Some minimal amount of information
can be gleaned from the 'olwm' manual page, as well as some other places
such as the 'shelltool' and 'textedit' manual pages. However...

)>Could anyone point me to a reference on if or how this is done
)>in OpenLook? I would be particularly interested in references
)>on how this is done via XView 3.0 routines. Please post responses
)>to this group or email them to the address below (my Reply-to: is
)>broken).
)>
)>Thanks,
)>Jesse Smith
)
)I have been also interested in keyboard shortcuts in XView. Textedit allows
)a number of shortcuts for editing. For example, to copy, cut, and paste, one
)would type the diamond key + c, x, and v, just like on the Mac. I discovered this

The "diamond" key is referred to as the "Meta" key.

)by experimenting. However, there seems to be a bug, in that "sometimes" after
)continued use of the keyboard shortcuts, the cursor disappears and editing becomes
)very difficult; you cannot no longer place the cursor at the mouse position.
)
)Ken Ferens
)fer...@ee.umanitoba.ca

I Discovered that in TextSW widgets you could use ALT PAGEUP (R9) and ALT
PAGEDOWN (R15), by accident, to scroll up/down by a page w/o using the
Scrollbars. But, i wanted the bind simply PAGEUP and PAGEDOWN to these
functions.

I finally broken down, and pulled all the Keyboard accelerators out of the
'libxview.a' file. (using textedit, which i have yet to figure out how to
Find/Replace strings containing non-printable characters. And no, the obvious
solution witnessed below (Quote Literal = ALT Q) doesn't do it. There are,
of course, lots of NULLs and other stuff in an object archive)

Anyway, I post this, since it is of interest to me, and apparently many others.
It is rather long... (there are *MANY* options)

First you must have the following resource set in order to utilize the
Keyboard accelerators:

OpenWindows.KeyboardCommands: full

where the available options are:
!OpenWindows.keyboardCommands: SunView1 | Basic | Full
and 'Basic' is the default, allowing only the L1 keys, basically.
(this is discussed in the 'olwm' manual page)

Then the following list of Resources (over 100!) and their Defaults may be
used. (I have not tried them all, and since they are not apparently
documented, don't expect them to continue to be there in the future) Try some
of them to see what they do, but be careful, since some do things like erase
your data, write to a file by the name of selected text, etc. I would be quite
careful about how many of these i changed from the defaults, and be quite
careful about what i assigned to each function. It would be rather fun to no
longer be able to type RETURNs in your MailTool because something was hosed in
your keyboard accelerators.

I have no idea how far these functions are supported, but many work at least
in the MailTool and CMDTool (via TextSW). Some of them are overriden by
a window manager such as olvwm, by default.

<< OpenWindows Keyboard Accelerator Resources >>
( Place these into your .Xdefaults file )

OpenWindows.KeyboardCommands: Full
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Adjust: Insert+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Again: a+Meta,a+Ctrl+Meta,L2
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Copy: c+Meta,L6
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.CopyThenPaste: p+Meta
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Cut: x+Meta,L10
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.DataEnd: End+Ctrl,R13+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.DataEnd: End,R13,Return+Ctrl,End+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.DataStart: Home+Ctrl,R7+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.DataStart: Home,R7,Return+Shift+Ctrl,Home+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.DefaultAction: Return+Meta
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Down: Down
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Down: n+Ctrl,P+Ctrl,Down,R14,Down+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Empty: e+Meta,e+Ctrl+Meta
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.EraseCharBackward: Delete,BackSpace
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.EraseCharBackward: Delete,BackSpace
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.EraseCharForward: Delete+Shift,BackSpace+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.EraseCharForward: Delete+Shift,BackSpace+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.EraseLine: Delete+Meta,BackSpace+Meta
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.EraseLineBackward: u+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.EraseLineEnd: U+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.EraseWordBackward: w+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.EraseWordForward: W+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.FindBackward: F+Meta,L9+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.FindForward: f+Meta,L9
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.GoLineForward: apostrophe+Ctrl,R11
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.GoPageBackward: R9
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.GoPageForward: R15
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.GoWordForward: slash+Ctrl,less+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Help: Help
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.HorizontalScrollbarMenu: h+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.IncludeFile: i+Meta
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.InputFocusHelp: question+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Insert: Insert
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.JumpDown: Down+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.JumpLeft: Left+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.JumpLeft: comma+Ctrl,greater+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.JumpMouseToInputFocus: j+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.JumpRight: Right+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.JumpRight: period+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.JumpUp: Up+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Left: Left
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Left: b+Ctrl,F+Ctrl,Left,R10,Left+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.LineEnd: e+Ctrl,A+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.LineStart: a+Ctrl,E+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Load: l+Meta
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.MatchDelimiter: d+Meta
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Menu: space+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.MoreHelp: Help+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.MoreTextHelp: Help+Shift+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.NextElement: Tab+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.NextPane: a+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.PaneBackground: b+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.PaneDown: R15
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.PaneLeft: R9+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.PaneRight: R15+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.PaneUp: R9
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.PanelEnd: bracketright+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.PanelStart: bracketleft+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Paste: v+Meta,L8
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.PreviousElement: Tab+Shift+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.PreviousPane: A+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Props: L3
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.QuoteNextKey: q+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ResumeMouseless: Z+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Right: Right
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Right: f+Ctrl,B+Ctrl,Right,R12,Right+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.RowEnd: End,R13
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.RowStart: Home,R7
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollDataEnd: End+Alt+Ctrl,R13+Alt+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollDataStar: tHome+Alt+Ctrl,R7+Alt+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollDown: Down+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollJumpDown: Down+Alt+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollJumpLeft: Left+Alt+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollJumpRight: Right+Alt+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollJumpUp: Up+Alt+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollLeft: Left+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollPaneDown: R15+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollPaneLeft: R9+Alt+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollPaneRight: R15+Alt+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollPaneUp: R9+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollRight: Right+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollRowEnd: End+Alt,R13+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollRowStart: Home+Alt,R7+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.ScrollUp: Up+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectAll: End+Shift+Meta,R13+Shift+Meta
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectDataEnd: End+Shift+Ctrl,R13+Shift+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectDataStart: Home+Shift+Ctrl,R7+Shift+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectDown: Down+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectFieldBackward: Tab+Shift+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectFieldForward: Tab+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectJumpDown: Down+Shift+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectJumpLeft: Left+Shift+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectJumpRight: Right+Shift+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectJumpUp: Up+Shift+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectLeft: Left+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectNextField: Tab+Meta
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectPaneDown: R15+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectPaneLeft: R9+Shift+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectPaneRight: R15+Shift+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectPaneUp: R9+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectPreviousField: Tab+Shift+Meta
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectRight: Right+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectRowEnd: End+Shift,R13+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectRowStart: Home+Shift,R7+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SelectUp: Up+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Stop: L1
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Store: s+Meta
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.SuspendMouseless: z+Alt
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.TextHelp: Help+Ctrl
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Translate: R2
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Undo: u+Meta,L4
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Up: Up
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.Up: p+Ctrl,N+Ctrl,Up,R8,Up+Shift
OpenWindows.KeyboardCommand.VerticalScrollbarMenu: v+Alt

--stephen
stephen dowdy software engineer
Medtronic/Micro-Rel "Toward Man's Full Life"
ste...@urel.medtronic.com (602) 929-5418

--
stephen dowdy software engineer
Medtronic/Micro-Rel "Toward Man's Full Life"
ste...@urel.medtronic.com (602) 929-5418

Liam R. E. Quin

Nov 2, 1992, 10:23:01 PM11/2/92
ste...@medtronic.COM (Stephen Dowdy) writes:
> fer...@ic16.umeeng writes:

>) jesmith@gdfwc3 (Jesse Smith) writes:
>)> I have looked through the OpenLook FAQ, the OpenLook Functional
>)> Specification, and the user's manual for DevGuide and have not
>)> found any mention of "keyboard shortcuts", key sequences that
>)> can be used interchangeably with menu selections. O'Reilly Vol. 7
>)> (XView Version 3) doesn't seem to address this, either.

There is a list of X defaults (resources) that you can set in the blue
XView Reference Manual (Companion to Volume 7) from O'Reilly.
It's near the back, page 200, chap. 6.

The Solaris 2 OpenWindows manuals have a list somewhere, I think, but I
don't seem to be able to find it, sorry. I'm don't have a full set of
Solaris 2/OpenWindows 3.0.1 docs, though. Look in the OpenWindows 3 User's
Guide in the index under Keyboard...

The XView book's listing is useful, but omits the window manager's defaults,
not surprisingly.

And none of this is exactly the same as Jesse Smith wanted; unfortunately,
neither the XView nor the TNT toolkit supports keyboard accelarators directly
(although Frame managed it in TNT). OLIT 3 has support for them, but it
seems that most Sun applications, and certainly all of Sun's DeskSet, uses
XView or TNT, or a mixture.

Lee

--
Liam Quin, l...@sq.com, SoftQuad, Toronto, 416 239-4801; the barefoot programmer
HexSweeper NeWS game/OPEN LOOK UI FAQ & program list/Metafont list/XView ports