Lode Runner Virus (Apple)

davidb...@lynx.northeastern.edu

Oct 9, 1989, 1:33:43 PM10/9/89

Here is a copy of a virus report posted on Info-Apple. The
report, I believe, originally was posted on Compuserve by
Brian McCaig.
I would like to point out that subsequent messages on Info-Apple
have indicated that Speedy Smith is not the primary carrier of the
virus.
I also have some questions. (1) Does any reader of VIRUS-L
know if the French expression "non-destructeur" means
"non-destructive" or "indestructible?" (2)Could anyone post a
version of VIRUS.KILLER (source code follows the report) written
in BASIC? (It could be posted here or to Info-...@brl.mil)
(3) Because the university does not import VIRUS ALERT I
have not posted this report to it, for fear of replication. Could
someone post this message to VIRUS ALERT if it has not appeared there
already?

Well folks, here it is...installment number 3 in the Saga of the virus
for the Apple II. First it was CyberAids, which wasn't all that great and was
quickly defused. It was followed in June of 1988 by Festering Hate, a more
sophisticated and deadly evolutionary offspring of CyberAids. F.H. spread
rapidly throughout the Apple II world and was particularly insidious as it;
infected (usually) the first .SYSTEM file in the root directory, usually
Basic.System, would infect more than one file per disk, would infect files in
sub-directories, and when it 'went off' would destroy all volumes currently
on-line at the time. This included RAM disks and Hard Drives!

By now, most of you are aware of Festering Hate and that there are
several good virus detecting/protecting programs available that have virtually
eradicated the FH virus. It is to the credit of the Apple II community in
general, and selfless people like Glen Bredon that FH was halted before it got
too out of hand. As a matter of fact it was the very vehicle that spread the
virus so rapidly that was also responsible for its quick demise. After I did
my initial research on FH last year I wrote a brief study of it and uploaded
the study to most of the active BBS's in Canada and the U.S. I also sent
copies to Glen Bredon and others who acted very quickly to develop the 'cures'.
But it was the massive telecommunications network of Apple II users that
spread the details so quickly and stopped FH.
Now, number 3 virus has just appeared. Called, rather nostalgically,
"LODE RUNNER", it is not quite as destructive as its predecessors but its a
virus nonetheless. Here's what I've been able to pull together so far:

SOURCE

- Although we're not 100% positive it appears that the program called
SPEEDY SMITH is the culprit. A recent import from France, Speedy Smith is one
of the fastest copy programs for the IIgs. A full 800K disk copy takes about
50 seconds (without verification) to 70 seconds (with) using SS. It has an
excellent SHR screen with 'thermometers' that indicate the copy's progress.
Unfortunately the reason we cannot either convict or acquit SS is that its
creators have seen fit to invent their own DOS. This DOS is not readable by
standard Apple II sector editors such as the one in Copy II Plus. There are
several reasons, however, for suspecting Speedy Smith. First SS's displays are
in French and the virus's text screens are as well. When catalogued Copy II+
indicates that there are 292 used Prodos blocks, but adding up the individual
files' blocks only totals 148. And lastly, what better vehicle for the spread
of a virus than a copy program?

HOW WAS IT DISCOVERED?

- Lode Runner was discovered almost by accident by several members of
the Apples BC Computer Society. Shortly after receiving several new disks of
IIgs software, including Speedy Smith, one member found that his Test Drive II
refused to run. This was followed by backups and originals of Space Quest I
and Police Quest. At first it was thought that the member's IIgs was having
hardware problems. But at the same time another friend from Eugene, Oregon
contacted us about having seen a French hi-res screen appear on his monitor
just before his Copy II+ disk was trashed. Not being Canadian he was only able
to pick out the word "virus". Armed with this info and the 'damaged' Space
Quest disks I spent a weekend checking things out. At the same time other
friends in Oregon & California were independently analyzing infected disks.

HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR DISKS ARE 'INFECTED'

- There are 4 ways of detecting Lode Runner:
1) When the virus "goes off" and erases your disk...not exactly the most
desirable way,
2) If you have a copy of Space Quest I then you can use it to check all your
disks. Boot any suspect disk and wait until the drive stops. Replace the
disk with Space Quest and do the 3 or 4 fingered salute (OA-CTRL-RESET).
NOTE: Keep Space Quest write protected so that it dosn't get screwed up. If
Space Quest boots to the point where it asks you to press a joystick button
then you can be pretty sure that the previous disk is OK. If Space Quest
trashes with an error message (#206) then the previous disk is likely
infected.
If you DO get an infected disk then you MUST either power down your IIgs or
run the self-test before continuing with your testing to clear the RAM as
the virus seems to install itself there.
3) A better check (and much faster) is to boot Copy II+ and run the 3.5" Sector
Editor. Do a read of Block 0000 (Track 00, sector 00, side 01). If the
first 3 bytes are 01 A9 50 then the disk is infected. Those 3 bytes
aren't the only bytes that are different but they are all that is necessary
to identify the virus.
4) If you recall, last year during the Festering Hate panic it was noted that
one of the best ways to have an Apple II virus was in BLOCK (0) on any
Prodos disk. At that point, anticipating another virus, Guy T. Rice wrote a
small virus detector/fixer. If you put this program into the
SYSTEM/SYSTEM.SETUP folder on IIgs disks then it would automatically detect
and correct modifications to Block (0). Now for LODE RUNNER this will also
work.. that is, it WILL detect LODE RUNNER and it will try to correct Block
(0). BUT, it appears that due to the method of spreading of LR Guy's
program cannot correct it. Every time you boot the disk it'll give you the
virus detect error. I think the reason for this is that LR installs itself
in RAM upon bootup in preparation for infecting a new disk.. and the only
way you can be sure that its gone is to either power down or run the
self-test.. and since Guy Rice's program does an auto-reboot and corrects
the block (0) all in one step then the RAM never really clears and the virus
re-infects the disk. And since you cannot write-protect the disk it becomes
a vicious circle. I am going to try to get these observations to Guy Rice
in the hopes that he can modify his program. NOTE: Three other problems
with using Guy's program: its no good for 5.25" disks, it only works with a
IIgs and it only works with disks that are bootable. LODE RUNNER can infect
ANY Prodos disk because it resides in one of the blocks created when a disk
is formatted.

There is a 5th way.. the friends in Eugene, Ore have written a Binary
program to detect and disarm the virus and I will try to include it in this
file when I upload it. The reason theirs is successful is that the detector is
not part of the disk being checked and thus the "circle" is broken.

METHOD OF SPREADING

- As far as we can tell the virus is spread two ways: by being copied
with a copy program and by booting an uninfected disk (using OA-CTRL-RESET)
immediately after running an infected disk. NOTE: For a disk to be infected it
must not be write-protected. The virus does NOT infect actual files so none of
your files will look modified in either their file length or their modified
date. The virus also does not search all drives, as did Festering Hate, so
cannot be detected that way. Because it doesn't infect files it only infects
one spot per disk and cannot destroy any sub-directories. Therefore your
cannot get rid of the virus just by re-copying the files...the virus is
actually part of the Prodos kernel created when the disk is formatted.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN IT "GOES OFF"?

- To get Lode Runner to "go off" you must set your Control Panel's
clock to the following: the MONTH must be October, the DAY must be an odd
numbered day and the minute must be a number divisable by 8. Next you must
boot an infected disk then boot (using OA-CTRL-RESET) any other disk. This
second disk must NOT be write-protected or the virus won't activate.

- Once the second disk is booted the virus will appear. Its a red
screen with text characters as follows:

+++ SYSTEM FAILURE in : +++
08

and proceeds to count down to zero where the screen changes to another with a
multi-colored scrolling background and the following text;

000E Copies. Distr:Artistes Associes

=== L O A D R U N N E R ===

Premier virus NON-DESTRUCTEUR sur IIGS

par SUPER HACKER & SHYRKAN
du MASTERS CRACKING SERVICE 1988 Lyon

By the time you've read the first screen the disk that you just booted
has been rendered useless. LR does not appear to erase more than the current
disk and doesn't seem to affect 5.25" disks. Not being an expert in French I
am unable to determine whether the phrase below the title means: "The first
non-destructIVE virus for the IIgs" or "The first non-destructIBLE virus for
the IIgs". This is a 'moot' point however as it DOES destroy one disk when it
goes off. In addition, and I believe that the writers of LR didn't plan this,
LR will destroy Space Quest 1 and Police Quest for the IIgs if they are booted
AT ANY TIME after an infected disk.. and if they are not write-protected. It
is not necessary for LR to "go off" for these programs to be rendered useless.
I have only found these two that behave in this fashion but I am sure there are
more.. likely most of the Sierra programs for the IIgs.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

- As with the studies on Festering Hate there are many people who
collaborated on the research for this virus. Many thanks go out to:

APPLES BC members,
Ross Woodhouse - for being so insistant that something WAS wrong.
Pat Daley - for gathering data, programs and relaying info.

EUGENE, OREGON users,
Jack Stalcup - for accidentally setting the virus off because the
battery in his IIgs was dead. And for sending the programs and
keeping the communications alive.

Neil Parker and Mike Suiter (sp?) - for analyzing LR and writing the
detection/correction program.

PLEASE upload this file and Virus.killer to all bulletin boards. Please
tell everyone you know about this virus so that we can wipe it out as fast as
Festering Hate. PLEASE.. if you find out any more information that is either
not in these notes or that refutes any of these observations then let me know.
I can be reached at (604)294-4471, 8:30am to 4:30pm Pacific time, Monday thru
Friday up until September 30, 1989. I can also be either reached by answering
machine or in person at home (604)947-9722 anytime. I will also be in
attendance at Applefest in San Francisco Sept.22, 23, & 24th. Messages can
also be left on Compuserve...to 76475,642 (>>>---Brian--->).

>>>---Brian---> (Brian McCaig, Virus Busters)

[Ed. Program deleted - please contact message author for copy.]