what is V32 unix - Does it run on VAX?

John Derry

Sep 20, 2006, 3:52:21 PM9/20/06
I've just discovered the archived V7 and Ultrix-11 images and sources,
released by Caldera ( been sleeping I guess ). Along with them are V32
sources. My quesions:

1. What is V32 Unix? Is it a 32-bit implementation of V7 or Ultrix-11 ?

2. Does it use simple v7 disk swapping vrs. page-fault virtual memory?

3. Did it run on VAX?

Thanks, John

William Pechter

Sep 20, 2006, 8:34:19 PM9/20/06
In article <45119be0$0$19893$ed96...@news.felx.com>,

John Derry <jo...@bitbots.org> wrote:
>I've just discovered the archived V7 and Ultrix-11 images and sources,
>released by Caldera ( been sleeping I guess ). Along with them are V32
>sources. My quesions:
>
>1. What is V32 Unix? Is it a 32-bit implementation of V7 or Ultrix-11 ?

AFAIK It's pretty much a VAX port of V7 (It's pre-SYSIII).

>2. Does it use simple v7 disk swapping vrs. page-fault virtual memory?

Yup.

It thinks a VAX is a PDP11 with lots of memory.

>3. Did it run on VAX?

Yup.

Should run on an 11/780. Don't know if it worked on an 11/750 or 11/730 or not.

>Thanks, John

"When I think back on all the crap I learned in Vax school
It's a wonder I fixed anything at all." (to the tune of Kodachrome)
pechter-at-ureachtechnologies.com

John Derry

Sep 21, 2006, 7:39:45 PM9/21/06
William Pechter wrote:
> In article <45119be0$0$19893$ed96...@news.felx.com>,
> John Derry <jo...@bitbots.org> wrote:
>
>>I've just discovered the archived V7 and Ultrix-11 images and sources,
>>released by Caldera ( been sleeping I guess ). Along with them are V32
>>sources. My quesions:
>>
>>1. What is V32 Unix? Is it a 32-bit implementation of V7 or Ultrix-11 ?
>

> AFAIK It's pretty much a VAX port of V7 (It's pre-SYSIII).
>

>>2. Does it use simple v7 disk swapping vrs. page-fault virtual memory?
>>

> Yup.
>
> It thinks a VAX is a PDP11 with lots of memory.

Ahh, so this is really the same 16 bit- C code still run in 16 bit word
size of the "PDP with lots of memory", yes?