Sun Studio 12 released

Thomas Glanzmann

Jun 4, 2007, 5:26:50 AM6/4/07
Got the following from http://forum.java.sun.com/ann.jspa?annID=24

Today, Sun is announcing the free availability of Sun Studio 12, the latest release of our set of optimizing C, C++, and Fortran compilers and tools, for the Solaris and Linux platforms:

http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/downloads/

Here are a few key enhancements:

* Brand new IDE
* Compilers for Linux (first ever!)
* New multithreading/multicore tools, including the new Thread Analyzer
* Outstanding Performance- performance boosts on SPARC and x86/x64 platforms
* Improved GCC compatibility

What is Sun Studio? Previously known as the SunOS compilers, SPARCworks, Sun Workshop, Forte Developer, and Sun ONE Studio, Sun Studio 12 includes the following key components:

* Parallelizing C, C++, and Fortran compilers
* Next-generation IDE based on NetBeans 5.5.1
* Code-level debugger
* Memory debugger
* Performance profiler
* OpenMP v2.5 API support
* Optimized libraries, including Sun Performance Library
* Multithreading tools

In addition, Sun offers a range (from incident to contract) of support options and training:

http://developers.sun.com/services

Please continue to provide feedback through SDN forums and bugs.sun.com!

/kso

Bernd Haug

Jun 4, 2007, 5:56:44 AM6/4/07
Thomas Glanzmann <sith...@stud.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
> What is Sun Studio? Previously known as the SunOS compilers, SPARCworks,
> Sun Workshop, Forte Developer, and Sun ONE Studio, Sun Studio 12
> includes the following key components:

So, they didn't shoot marketing yet? Sad to hear.

lg, Bernd

Andrew Gabriel

Jun 4, 2007, 8:24:18 AM6/4/07
In article <s74dj4-...@this.is.a.news.server.you.goddamn.stupid.program>,

Bernd Haug <ha...@berndhaug.net> writes:
> Thomas Glanzmann <sith...@stud.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>> What is Sun Studio? Previously known as the SunOS compilers, SPARCworks,
>> Sun Workshop, Forte Developer, and Sun ONE Studio, Sun Studio 12

Missed one: Teamworks...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Daniel Berger

Jun 4, 2007, 2:49:45 PM6/4/07
On Jun 4, 3:26 am, Thomas Glanzmann <sithg...@stud.uni-erlangen.de>
wrote:
> Got the following fromhttp://forum.java.sun.com/ann.jspa?annID=24

> Today, Sun is announcing the free availability of Sun Studio 12, the latest release of our set of optimizing C, C++, and Fortran compilers and tools, for the Solaris and Linux platforms:
>
> http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/downloads/
>
> Here are a few key enhancements:
>
> * Brand new IDE
> * Compilers for Linux (first ever!)

<snip>

If we build Linux and its tools using the Sun compiler, do we then
have to call it "Sun/Linux" ?

No, wait, I have it! "SUNG/Linux" - get it?!?!

Yes, slow work day...

Dan

Alan Coopersmith

Jun 4, 2007, 3:41:40 PM6/4/07
Bernd Haug <ha...@berndhaug.net> writes in comp.unix.solaris:

I think Sun Studio is near record length for a compiler product name now
- 5 straight releases since the last name change (Sun Studio 8, 9, 10, 11,
12).

--
Alan Coopersmith * al...@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coo...@Sun.COM
http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/

Ian Collins

Jun 4, 2007, 4:16:08 PM6/4/07
Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Bernd Haug <ha...@berndhaug.net> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
> |Thomas Glanzmann <sith...@stud.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
> |> What is Sun Studio? Previously known as the SunOS compilers, SPARCworks,
> |> Sun Workshop, Forte Developer, and Sun ONE Studio, Sun Studio 12
> |> includes the following key components:
> |
> |So, they didn't shoot marketing yet? Sad to hear.
>
> I think Sun Studio is near record length for a compiler product name now
> - 5 straight releases since the last name change (Sun Studio 8, 9, 10, 11,
> 12).

8 was still branded "Forte" wasn't it?

--
Ian Collins.

Bernd Haug

Jun 4, 2007, 4:17:56 PM6/4/07
Alan Coopersmith <al...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> I think Sun Studio is near record length for a compiler product name now
> - 5 straight releases since the last name change (Sun Studio 8, 9, 10, 11,
> 12).

Oh come on, let me have my harmless jabs.

School's not giving me much fun lately anyway.

lg, Bernd

Tim Bradshaw

Jun 4, 2007, 4:41:04 PM6/4/07
On 2007-06-04 20:41:40 +0100, Alan Coopersmith
<al...@alum.calberkeley.org> said:

> I think Sun Studio is near record length for a compiler product name now
> - 5 straight releases since the last name change (Sun Studio 8, 9, 10, 11,
> 12).

But you know the end is nigh. Somehow I can't see Sun Studio *13*
appealing to the marketing types.

Thomas Glanzmann

Jun 4, 2007, 6:17:31 PM6/4/07
Hello,

> If we build Linux and its tools using the Sun compiler.

I in fact do wonder if someone tried to compile parts of the Linux
Kernel with Sun Studio 12 (is it called that today?). I think inline
assembler isn't possible with Sun Studio 12, is it?

Thomas

xkob...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2007, 3:44:22 AM6/5/07
Sun Studio 12 can mostly compile the Linux kernel. Essentially, we
focused on implementing the most popular gcc extensions for our gcc
compatibility support in Sun Studio 12. Certain less popular
extensions are not yet supported. For example, here is code from the
Linux kernel that we do not yet support:

From:
/usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/thread_info.h

/* how to get the current stack pointer from C */
register unsigned long current_stack_pointer asm("esp")
__attribute_used__;

We see this usage as atypical for most projects and applications, so
it was not prioritized high on the list. This prioritized approach to
gcc-specific extensions also highlights our effort to increase source
compatibility with code built with gcc.

/kso

On Jun 4, 3:17 pm, Thomas Glanzmann <sithg...@stud.uni-erlangen.de>

Casper H.S. Dik

Jun 5, 2007, 5:32:06 AM6/5/07
Alan Coopersmith <al...@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

>Bernd Haug <ha...@berndhaug.net> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
>|Thomas Glanzmann <sith...@stud.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>|> What is Sun Studio? Previously known as the SunOS compilers, SPARCworks,
>|> Sun Workshop, Forte Developer, and Sun ONE Studio, Sun Studio 12
>|> includes the following key components:
>|
>|So, they didn't shoot marketing yet? Sad to hear.

>I think Sun Studio is near record length for a compiler product name now
>- 5 straight releases since the last name change (Sun Studio 8, 9, 10, 11,
>12).

You just had to point that out in a public forum, didn't you? :-)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Casper H.S. Dik

Jun 5, 2007, 5:37:56 AM6/5/07
Thomas Glanzmann <sith...@stud.uni-erlangen.de> writes:

>Hello,

It is, but not in the "gcc way".

Sun's compilers have always supported inlining in a, what I consider,
fairly clean way. You write an assembly routine and put this in
a separate (inline template) file. You then pass the inline templates
on the compiler command line and the compiler will insert the code
and optimize around it as needs be.

E.g., to get the caller of a function use:

! return caller

.inline caller,0
mov %i7, %o0
.end

.inline caller,0
movl 4(%ebp), %eax
.end

Casper

Dan Foster

Jun 5, 2007, 5:46:37 AM6/5/07
In article <46652d96$0$327$e4fe...@news.xs4all.nl>, Casper H.S Dik <Caspe...@Sun.COM> wrote:

>>I think Sun Studio is near record length for a compiler product name
>>now - 5 straight releases since the last name change (Sun Studio 8, 9,
>>10, 11, 12).
>
> You just had to point that out in a public forum, didn't you? :-)

Nah, some of us had been pointing that out at work, on our own. :-)

I get to answer fun questions from management about: "Why do we need
product Y?" "It's the same thing as product X" "Really?" "Really." ;)

Then a few years later...

"We need product Z." "Why do we need product Z? Don't we have product
Y." "It's the same as Product Y." "Hmm. So you're telling me it's also
same as Product X, too?" "Yes, precisely."

Then repeat a few years later...

;)

-Dan

Tim Bradshaw

Jun 5, 2007, 7:02:44 AM6/5/07
On Jun 5, 10:46 am, Dan Foster <use...@evilphb.org> wrote:

> "We need product Z." "Why do we need product Z? Don't we have product
> Y." "It's the same as Product Y." "Hmm. So you're telling me it's also
> same as Product X, too?" "Yes, precisely."

If only it were that simple.

"We need product Sun Storedge Q, look, here it is in the catalogue."
"No, we need product Sun StorageTeK Z, over here in the catalogue."
"But Sun Storedge Q is the new name for Product X, we need that, since
we have Product X." "Yes. So is Sun Storagetek Z. probably: neither
catalogue entry actually mentions Product X." "But Product X was just
Foonly Product G rebadged, couldn't we just get Foonly Product G?"
"erm. Perhaps we'll just not buy anything until they make the
catalogue comprehensible." "Good idea."

I mean, really.

Paul Pluzhnikov

Jun 5, 2007, 7:21:12 AM6/5/07
Casper H.S. Dik <Caspe...@Sun.COM> writes:

> Sun's compilers have always supported inlining in a, what I consider,
> fairly clean way. You write an assembly routine and put this in
> a separate (inline template) file. You then pass the inline templates
> on the compiler command line and the compiler will insert the code
> and optimize around it as needs be.

It's not clear how this "inline template" file is different from
"plain assembly" file, or how it can be used in e.g. C source.

Could you please give an example, or provide a reference?

Thanks,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.

Casper H.S. Dik

Jun 5, 2007, 8:29:47 AM6/5/07
Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhn...@charter.net> writes:

>Casper H.S. Dik <Caspe...@Sun.COM> writes:

>> Sun's compilers have always supported inlining in a, what I consider,
>> fairly clean way. You write an assembly routine and put this in
>> a separate (inline template) file. You then pass the inline templates
>> on the compiler command line and the compiler will insert the code
>> and optimize around it as needs be.

>It's not clear how this "inline template" file is different from
>"plain assembly" file, or how it can be used in e.g. C source.

It is NOT used in C source; I thought that bit was clear; the C source is
unmodified.

So, you'd use:

extern uintptr_t caller(void);

c = caller();

and supply the .il template file on the command line; the compiler
then figures out that the caller function exists in the inline template
and substitutes it.

Thomas Dehn

Jun 5, 2007, 10:49:05 AM6/5/07

The name change from "Forte Developer" to "Sun ONE Studio"
happened with "Sun ONE Studio 7".
The name change from "Sun ONE Studio" to "Sun Studio"
happened with ""Sun Studio 8", but earlier, there
also was ""Sun ONE Studio 8, Compiler Collection" (no IDE).

Thomas

Paul Floyd

Jun 5, 2007, 3:38:05 PM6/5/07
On 4 Jun 2007 22:17:31 GMT, Thomas Glanzmann

<sith...@stud.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> If we build Linux and its tools using the Sun compiler.
>
> I in fact do wonder if someone tried to compile parts of the Linux
> Kernel with Sun Studio 12 (is it called that today?). I think inline

The Linux kernel isn't written in C (not any dialect, K&R, C89 or C90).
Rather it's more 'gnuc'. Some of those 'gnucisms' are spreading to Sun
Studio, to help porting OSS cruft^H^H^H^H^H software.

A bientot
Paul

Thomas Maier-Komor

Jun 6, 2007, 3:30:57 AM6/6/07
Thomas Glanzmann schrieb:

can anybody tell me why the sparc edition is about twice the size of the
x86 version?

TIA,
Thomas

Casper H.S. Dik

Jun 6, 2007, 4:07:34 AM6/6/07
Thomas Maier-Komor <tho...@maier-komor.de> writes:

>can anybody tell me why the sparc edition is about twice the size of the
>x86 version?

Tons of specifically optimized additional libraries.

sparc sparcv8-fsmuld sparcv9
sparcv7 sparcv8plus sparcv9+vis
sparcv8 sparcv8plus+vis sparcv9+vis2

I don't think we've gone quite as far with optimized x86 libraries.

Tony Curtis

Jun 6, 2007, 9:35:16 AM6/6/07
Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:

> can anybody tell me why the sparc edition is about twice the size of the
> x86 version?

x86 is 32 bit. sparc is 64 bit.

64 / 32 = 2.

So it's twice the size ;-)

Casper H.S. Dik

Jun 6, 2007, 3:30:26 PM6/6/07
Tony Curtis <tony_c...@yahoo.com> writes:

>Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:

>> can anybody tell me why the sparc edition is about twice the size of the
>> x86 version?

>x86 is 32 bit. sparc is 64 bit.

Not quite; x86 comes with amd64 support as well.