erasing Core files

ehabaz...@gmail.com

May 5, 2006, 1:52:03 PM5/5/06
Sometimes I am asking my self is there a danger from erasing core files
? Ther are in huge sizes ?

Doug Freyburger

May 5, 2006, 2:04:37 PM5/5/06
ehabaz...@gmail.com wrote:

> Sometimes I am asking my self is there a danger from erasing core files?

Developers use core files to debug their programs. If you have
developers on your systems you can distrupt their work so
cleaning core files is their job. If you have no developers then
my may want to send the core files to your support team for
debugging before deleting. Most of the time deleting them is
fine but you have to know what they are for before you can reach
that decision.

> Ther are in huge sizes ?

Not really. Read up on sparsely populated files. Then do a
df, delete one, and do another df. You'll see what the term
means.

Vahid Moghaddasi

May 5, 2006, 4:59:13 PM5/5/06

ehabaz...@gmail.com wrote:
> Sometimes I am asking my self is there a danger from erasing core files
> ? Ther are in huge sizes ?
In general it is safe to remove core files but if the core was dumped
by the developers who wrote the program, then they need to figure out
what the problem was or just see how the program was doing, so removing
that core might get them really unhappy.

umeya

May 5, 2006, 5:36:51 PM5/5/06
AHH One question,
How does anybody debug the core file. Many a times i see with the `file
corefilename` command the bugger program causing this core file. I
suppose it's the memory image of the actual program running in physical
mem. But then how do they debug. Does anybody have idea on this.

Anonymous

May 5, 2006, 6:39:30 PM5/5/06
ehabaz...@gmail.com wrote:
> Sometimes I am asking my self is there a danger from erasing core files
> ? Ther are in huge sizes ?

You can also set the system up so that it does not produce core dump. I
think coreadm might do the trick.

Ian Collins

May 5, 2006, 8:03:11 PM5/5/06
What are you replying to? Please quote context.

You just load to core file into your debugger. Try it and see.

--
Ian Collins.

Barry Margolin

May 5, 2006, 9:46:01 PM5/5/06
In article <1146862753....@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>,
"Vahid Moghaddasi" <vahid.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Or if you report a problem to a vendor, they may want you to send the
core file so they can determine what the program was doing at the time
it failed.

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Keith Thompson

May 8, 2006, 2:15:42 AM5/8/06
ehabaz...@gmail.com writes:
> Sometimes I am asking my self is there a danger from erasing core files
> ? Ther are in huge sizes ?

Are you asking about removing your own core files, or removing other
users' core files? The former is perfectly fine if you're not going
to use them. The latter, if you're an administrator, is probably
something you should discuss with your users.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) ks...@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>

Tonagon

May 8, 2006, 8:59:47 AM5/8/06
If you are not a developer with the debugging software and or the
person who wrote the code that is dumping, then you typically cannot
debug the core dump.
However I have a way that I have used over the years to read through a
core dump and determine what program is dumping and sometimes other
useful data.

Use the strings command on the file:
strings core.1432|more

This pulls any readable strings of data out of the file for you to
examine. Within the first four lines will be the the path and filename
of the executable that dumped.

Message has been deleted

Sam Nelson

May 9, 2006, 8:15:54 AM5/9/06
Huge wrote:

> The Solaris "file" command will tell you what dumped.
>
> huge{~}: file core
> core: ELF 32-bit MSB core file SPARC Version 1, from 'gst-thumbnail'
>
> Hmmm. Gnome. A reliable source of core dumps. Still, your method provides
> more information;
>
> strings core | more
>
> huge{~}: strings core | more
> CORE
> gst-thumbnail
> gst-thumbnail file:///home/huge/Desktop/media/video/loton_sprint.wmv /tmp/.gnom
> CORE
> SUNW,Ultra-60
> CORE
> CORE
> CORE
>
> Very insistent on it being a core dump, isn't it?

I too have the same problem with gnome dumping core when viewing .wmv,
though my strings output is slightly different :P

root@gmz3e:#:/: strings core | more
HARD CORE
gst-thumbnail
gst-thumbnail file:///tmp/video/pr/jenna_jameson-xxx.wmv /tmp/.gnom
HARD CORE
SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240
HARD CORE
HARD CORE