NIS and Autofs

Subs

Apr 15, 2008, 9:06:26 AM4/15/08
Hi. Need some help/direction. I've been searching for a concise answer
to no avail, hence the post. I'm trying to apply a direct map using
NIS. I have auto_master and auto_home and auto_direct in the NIS
namespace:

# ypcat -k auto.master
+auto_master
/home +auto_home -nobrowse
/net -hosts
/- auto_direct

# ypcat -k auto.direct
/usr/local buzz:/usr/local

I have set up nsswitch.conf to use NIS for automount:
automount: nis files

It appears that I have to have these entries in the clients local
auto_master file, else nothing works. The auto_master file on the
client has to be manually set up as i've shown in the NIS map above.
The client does correctly do a NIS lookup or the actual auto_home and
auto_direct maps fine.

I'm confused.

I got the impression that I could also use NIS to hold the auto_master
map, but with my current NIS config it doesn't work without the local
auto_master file. I've restarted autofs or run automount after making
changes to the direct maps.

From what I can gather from the automount man page, it says that the
+auto_master entry at the beginning of the auto_master file tells it
to go look at nis for the master map yet it fails to. If I remove any
of the map entries from the client be they direct or indirect
automount fails to mount the NFS shares. Any ideas what I might be
doing wrong or what I might have misunderstood?

Cheers

Peter Bunclark

Apr 15, 2008, 9:16:16 AM4/15/08

You refer to auto_direct in one place but auto.direct in another;
shouldn't they all be underscore, auto_master and so on?

Pete.

Subs

Apr 15, 2008, 10:39:42 AM4/15/08

> You refer to auto_direct in one place but auto.direct in another;
> shouldn't they all be underscore, auto_master and so on?
>
> Pete

From what I've gathered from the MakeFile in /var/yp, the master files
you use to build the NIS have the underscores and the maps themselves
have dots.

Subs

Apr 15, 2008, 11:01:43 AM4/15/08
Never mind - figured it out. On the clients auto_master all I needed
was:

+auto_master

On the auto_master map I had to remove the +auto_master entry at the
top, rebuild the map and restart autofs on the clients and bobs your
uncle.