Under what situation that a crash will not generate a core dump?

Carfield Yim

May 13, 2009, 12:58:20 PM5/13/09
HI, I would like to ask some time I cannot get a core dump in a
solaris box, any reason causing this behaviour?

ThanksButNo

May 13, 2009, 1:43:13 PM5/13/09
On May 13, 9:58 am, Carfield Yim <carfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI, I would like to ask some time I cannot get a core dump in a
> solaris box, any reason causing this behaviour?

What response do you get from the "ulimit" command?

/:-/

hume.sp...@bofh.ca

May 13, 2009, 2:55:28 PM5/13/09
Carfield Yim <carf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI, I would like to ask some time I cannot get a core dump in a
> solaris box, any reason causing this behaviour?

A system crash, or a process crash?

--
Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/

Richard B. Gilbert

May 13, 2009, 6:03:55 PM5/13/09
Carfield Yim wrote:
> HI, I would like to ask some time I cannot get a core dump in a
> solaris box, any reason causing this behaviour?

A crash caused by a hardware error could make it impossible to get a
core dump.

Carfield Yim

May 13, 2009, 9:57:36 PM5/13/09

It is "unlimited"

Carfield Yim

May 13, 2009, 9:57:48 PM5/13/09
On May 14, 2:55 am, hume.spamfil...@bofh.ca wrote:

> Carfield Yim <carfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > HI, I would like to ask some time I cannot get a core dump in a
> > solaris box, any reason causing this behaviour?
>
> A system crash, or a process crash?

Just a process crash

Carfield Yim

May 13, 2009, 9:58:05 PM5/13/09
On May 14, 6:03 am, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber...@comcast.net>
wrote:

It actually just a memory issues

nelson....@gmail.com

May 13, 2009, 10:20:28 PM5/13/09
core file generation can be controlled with coreadm(1m) as well

Carfield Yim

May 14, 2009, 12:39:47 AM5/14/09
On May 14, 10:20 am, nelson.bens...@gmail.com wrote:
> core file generation can be controlled with coreadm(1m) as well

Great, here is the output, is that mean core is disabled?

global core file pattern: /var/core/core.%f.%p.%n.%u.%g.%t
init core file pattern: /var/core/core.%f.%p.%n.%u.%g.%t
global core dumps: disabled
per-process core dumps: enabled
global setid core dumps: disabled
per-process setid core dumps: disabled
global core dump logging: enabled

Message has been deleted

Richard B. Gilbert

May 14, 2009, 6:56:39 AM5/14/09

Memory is hardware! If the attempt to dump core triggers another memory
error, the system may crash without writing the entire core dump.

Volker Borchert

May 14, 2009, 8:16:11 AM5/14/09
Carfield Yim wrote:
> HI, I would like to ask some time I cannot get a core dump in a
> solaris box, any reason causing this behaviour?

Running setuid and/or setgid.

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy <mc...@ncc1701.starfleet.fed>
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert <v_bor...@despammed.com>

Chris Thompson

May 14, 2009, 9:11:00 AM5/14/09

The setting for "init core file pattern" is not the default. Supposing
it hasn't been overridden on its way down the process tree, any process
that is using credentials that don't allow it to write to /var/core
will not be able to take a per-process core dump. To quote from the
coreadm man page:

--
Chris Thompson
Email: ce...@cam.ac.uk

Carfield Yim

May 14, 2009, 1:48:21 PM5/14/09
On May 14, 6:56 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber...@comcast.net>

Sorry, what I mean if memory management problem

nelson....@gmail.com

May 14, 2009, 6:18:28 PM5/14/09
you should be able to use gcore to create a core file of a running
process as well, but i'm getting the impression that you're trying to
trace a fault of some kind (bounds error of seg fault maybe? yeah
speculation).

if the process in question is running inside a zone, from what i
understand it usually write the core file to the /var/core (or where
ever configured with coreadm) location in the *global* zone. i
couldn't see which version of solaris or whether or not zones are in
use so that may not help at all.

i know that in various types of code you can disable core file
creation by setting RLIMIT_CORE to zero in a call to setrlimit(2) or
equiv func

Carfield Yim

May 18, 2009, 6:44:59 AM5/18/09
On May 15, 6:18 am, nelson.bens...@gmail.com wrote:
> you should be able to use gcore to create a core file of a running
> process as well, but i'm getting the impression that you're trying to
> trace a fault of some kind (bounds error of seg fault maybe?  yeah
> speculation).

yeah, we are, look like we need to change coreadm setup