Cannot install Solaris 10 to a Linux installed Sun-Blade-1500

john...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2007, 12:32:22 PM10/26/07
Hello,

I have a Sun-Blade-1500 with Linux installed currently. Now we want to
put Solaris 10 into it but it just doesn't work. Every time it failed
in finding disk. When I boot up the system with cdrom and from format
command I can see the disk c0t0d0 but with unknown status. But when I
tried to format it, the format command cored when I chose the disk.
What should I do here to reverse the disk for Solaris?

Thanks,

John

gerryt

Oct 26, 2007, 12:54:44 PM10/26/07

Try the following steps assuming only one disk:
boot cdrom -s
format -e
label (choose either 0 or 1 [0 being somewhat more "compatible"] )
quit

Andreas Wacknitz

Oct 26, 2007, 1:03:25 PM10/26/07
john...@gmail.com schrieb:
You have to label the disk first. You can do that with format.
If it doesn't work out of the box, you have to run format -e
and then choose the SMI label type.

Regards
Andreas

john...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2007, 1:21:27 PM10/26/07
On Oct 26, 10:03 am, Andreas Wacknitz <A.Wackn...@gmx.de> wrote:
> johnx...@gmail.com schrieb:> Hello,

Thanks for gerryt and Andreas.

I did the format -e but got same core dump with segmentation fault as
soon as I choose the number 0 disk. The disk is found as c0t0d0 but
the drive type is unknown. I just can do nothing with format since I
cannot choose the disk. Do I have to remove some Linux boot sector, or
something like that?

Thanks,

John

john...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2007, 1:30:23 PM10/26/07

I did these but the format command cored with segmentation fault as
soon as I choose the disk (c0t0d0). I couldn't do anything with format
command since it fails once I choose the disk. Is there any Linux
stuff I should remove first?

Thanks,

John

gerryt

Oct 26, 2007, 3:39:52 PM10/26/07

all of it - boot from CD/DVD as above then
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 bs=512 count=4
This should zero the first 2048 bytes of the first 4 sectors.
More than enough hopefully

john...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2007, 5:33:43 PM10/26/07

Thanks, gerryt. This one worked out very well. I just applied the dd
command and then installed from dvd. The format command still didn't
work but not core anymore... Now I have Solaris 10 installed.

John